Another impossible question: Husky 365, 555, and Stihl 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone post vids of the 365xt and 555 in action, maybe even in the same wood? Video is not the end all be all to this question but it will be fun to watch.

I hefted the 365 x-torq and 555..felt like about 1/2 lb difference. I have the 365 Special (really nice old saw, only have 10-15 hours on it though), the 70.5 cc 365 x-torq aand 555 have me intrigued. They both can be had for around the same money...The Stilh also is interesting because I don't have a good Stihl and the MS362 should be a good one...don't know where they are price wize relative to the Husqvarma's, figured they would be a $500 to $600 dollars but don't know though. Beginning to think that 365 x-torq might be the sleeper of the decade...might grab one before Husqvarna and the dealers figure out we all know the secret...:)

Dry weight, PHO:

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachments/chainsaw/212602d1324498990-365-004-jpg

Gas and oil, ready to cut:

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachments/chainsaw/212605d1324499053-365-006-jpg

If it's a 365xt with the 70cc motor for the same price, there's really not a problem in choosing. If it's the 65cc motor then the 555 starts to look good if you do not intend to port the 365. The 365 has the same chassis and transfer design the old 372 had - so responds very well to porting and is very easy to port. I used a ported 365 to stump a few 30-36" trees with ease.

I have an idea which 365 you mean :D

Well, I'm bringing up a 555 and a 562 tomorrow, so you can see for yourself. :msp_w00t:

Thank you for the opportunity to try these very impressive machines!! It was so cold today in the arctic zone!!! We got chilled to the bone after a work day in the woods!

Have to say both the 555 and 562 are very impressive saws...the 562 has the "look" of a cool pro saw and is noticeably snappier. I happened to enjoy running the 555. Put some time on it and its a really nice saw. Like the 562, its very smooth, nice throttle response good solid power...reasonably light. They both have the RPM's to make limbing nice, the 562 has a little more though...(Little more of everything! More Power, Large bar mount size, more weight, number of colors, better looks, larger price tag...:) ). Got to say even thought the paper analysis says a 365 is a slam dunk...after spending time...its clear as mud which one would get the nod as best for my application! And throw in the fact I happen to prefer the red versions with the straight handles as there is a lefty who might run these saws..more issues to pick through. Right now if I was pushed to spend money, I would go with the 555. Will probably sell my 455 Rancher and have a 555 fill that "all around" farm saw role. Have to say..all the dooms day talk about how terrible the Strato saw are going to be...these new X-torq offerings from Husqvarna are pretty damn nice! :rock:

One thing that dawned on me is the impact of perceptions, when I first tried a 562 1.5 years ago it was a shocker...was worried the the production version might let me down in terms of power and over all feel. It doesn't, in fact its still just as impressive; the saw is a winner. So I was neither shocked or disappointed..it did no more or less than what i anticipated very nice machine! The 555 was better than I anticipated although for a variety of reasons it's not as much saw as the 562..but since it out performed my expectations i came away more impressed than I expected..might "sway' my overall impression..that along with slightly "less" of everything is why the 555 (in red preferably ) is my choice right now..this make any sense? With all the nice offerings...wow..its an awesome time to be in the saw market. Having said all that, the 562 is the obvious choice for the pro looking at the 555/562 options. I'm an old farmer. A younger version of me would pick the 562 between the 555/562 for certain too. When I was a private contractor...looking for ONE all around saw I would go for the x-torq 365 over all of them because of the power/cost ratio's and proven chassis of the 365/372 line..wow. Like I said, clear as mud...but right now I would still pick the 555 for an "on the tractor" farm saw to obsolete the 455. The 555 might be the perfect farm saw.

BTW, Didn't have time to do things like replace the chain, filter, and those day to day maintenance items.

It's got to be nice to be a dealer in this business with "Bang per Buck" offerings such as the 365 X-torq, offerings like the 555,562 that may be the ultimate all around saws, along with the larger 372 line of pro saws...wow what a tough choice to pick from that group! ...guess just have to have one of each over time..:)

Aw.............take him a demo 365xt, that will seal the deal :boss:

Have to say if I didn't have a virtually new 365 special and a brand new 2172 in the house...I would be hard pressed not to get that 365 for me...also have to explain the job of this saw is an all around farm saw that both me and the bride will use, me more often. Right now my 455 fills that role quite well. I can say she didn't mind the 555's weight and she was able to start it, called my 268 a heavy "pig" and thought my 365/371 hybrid is noticeably heavier...so 555/562 is on the list...But your right, that 365xt might be the sleeper saw of this era!

Got home at 7:00. By the time I hit Binghamton my toes were warm again. :biggrin: And the best part is that the "everytime I go to Weimedog's, the Giants lose" jinx is over. :clap:

Nice that we took some time to do some thoughtful comparisons. I really don't notice any weight difference between the 555 and 562, and I would easily spend the extra $100 on the XP. It seems to be waking up now near the end of tank #2. The 555 took 3 tanks to get some power, it's now on it 6th and running well. (1st tank it was pretty lame) A few more tanks on the 562 and it should open up even more of a gap between itself and the 555.

The 365XT is still the best "bang for the buck" from a pure "how much saw" are you getting perspective. But selecting it is conditional on what you want it to do, and also on what other saws you already own.

We ran a lot of different sized saws today, from a 41cc 440E to 372's. Both in direct timed comparisons, and in a work environment. You can draw different conclusions looking at a saw from those two perspectives. The stock little 440 seemed to outcut a stock 350 when limbing 4"-5" ash, but was woefully short of power when comparing them in 14" beech. (30 sec vs. 17 sec) But working a top with it later in the day, all I noticed was it's nice light weight.

And to make sure we sampled the past, as well as the present and future, Motomedik and I ran a tank through both an XL12 and a Mac 1010 cutting a trailer load of firewood to add a vintage feel to the day, and the old dogs did great. Again, when working, you don't really pay attention to a lot of the subtle stuff that you do when "comparing". If it starts, runs, and has a sharp chain, the work gets done.

Great day today. Time for another beer!

Last edited:
Have to say if I didn't have a virtually new 365 special and a brand new 2172 in the house...I would be hard pressed not to get that 365 for me...also have to explain the job of this saw is an all around farm saw that both me and the bride will use, me more often. Right now my 455 fills that role quite well. I can say she didn't mind the 555's weight and she was able to start it, called my 268 a heavy "pig" and thought my 365/371 hybrid is noticeably heavier...so 555/562 is on the list...But your right, that 365xt might be the sleeper saw of this era!

In your situation, I would likely do the same. The 365xt made sense for me as I have a smaller saw for light work but wanted 70+ cc for the big firewood rounds. It may not be my first choice as a "one saw to do it all" but certainly a great value in its class. Thanks for the comparison info.

Nice that we took some time to do some thoughtful comparisons. I really don't notice any weight difference between the 555 and 562, and I would easily spend the extra $100 on the XP. .....

If the price difference is only $100, I see no reason to not go with the xp version! :msp_smile:

Yes.....if the weight is close...

But I am leaning towards the 562xp with a light weight 20" bar. :msp_smile:

There is just enough of a difference with the TechLite on there to make ya go, "Hmmmmm..... Not sure if this could feel any better......" :D

Latest posts

Back