Another newbie out shopping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay gang, I gotta tell ya. I took my lunch hour & went to a Husky "dealer" today to check out a 346XP. Yep, Husky's on the wall straight ahead, Poulans over there. Husky's were 142's, 350's & a 353. See ya ....

Then I put in a call to another dealer. Out now, but I'm turning in an order soon, but that 346 is one heck of a saw! Tonight I stopped at a farm store. Huskys here, Stihls there. The only XP series was a 575 ..... Yowie, more than I can use ! I checked out the Stihls again. That 260 Pro wasn't bad, but that 361 felt awful nice .......

I tried crunching numbers this afternoon, $ per bhp, bhp per lb, all that kind of stuff. P-5100 came out ahead on everything but one calculation, and that went to the 361. BUT ..... longevity, repairs & feel are things that you just can't factor. And I know as well as anybody, there IS a difference between PRICE and COST ! !

Thanks for all your help, really, and when I drop the hammer, I'll make sure to report back in on what came home with me.

A couple more to consider

Hello, I am fairly close to you here in Carlinville, IL. If you don't like the grip angle of a Husky maybe you would consider a Jonsered which is basically the same saw but with more normal ergonomics. I had a 346XP and they are very strong and nimble. I will be picking up my new Jonsered CS2153 today! Those little saws really run great and are very smooth in the cut. If you are not a HP junkie then you might consider an Echo, very well built, 5 year consumer warranty and very comfortable to operate. I'm sure Stihl builds a fine saw and the MS260 pro has a good reputation. My personal opinion of those 3 saws would be Stihl for longevity and number of dealers, J'red/Husky for sheer performance and Echo for ease of use.

Hello, I am fairly close to you here in Carlinville, IL. If you don't like the grip angle of a Husky maybe you would consider a Jonsered which is basically the same saw but with more normal ergonomics. I had a 346XP and they are very strong and nimble. I will be picking up my new Jonsered CS2153 today! Those little saws really run great and are very smooth in the cut. If you are not a HP junkie then you might consider an Echo, very well built, 5 year consumer warranty and very comfortable to operate. I'm sure Stihl builds a fine saw and the MS260 pro has a good reputation. My personal opinion of those 3 saws would be Stihl for longevity and number of dealers, J'red/Husky for sheer performance and Echo for ease of use.

I don't believe the 346xp etc have less longevity than the 260 - no proof of that have ever been presented, that I have seen......

I tried crunching numbers this afternoon, $ per bhp, bhp per lb, all that kind of stuff. P-5100 came out ahead on everything but one calculation, and that went to the 361. .....

I guess you didn't factor in that the 5100 weights a bit more than advertised...........:givebeer:

I want something that'll be around for a while, and I'm not a heavy user by any means.

Common knowledge that all saws that are around for a while were originally purchased from a dealer. As in if you want it to be around for a while, find a good dealer were you can get service and parts for.

The 346 will never be out that long or hold the rep the 260 has. I hate to even put them in the same sentence.......

More BS and Mythology, the 346xp has been out for nine years - long enough for pros to wear out several of them.

I have read about a lot more problems with 260s than with 346xps.

:cheers:

tried crunching numbers this afternoon, $ per bhp, bhp per lb, all that kind of stuff. P-5100 came out ahead on everything but one calculation, and that went to the 361. BUT ..... longevity, repairs & feel are things that you just can't factor.

I have two 026, but all your list are good saws. Ultimately, among the ones you are picking from, I think one will just 'feel right' in everything when you use it compared to the others. Logic goes so far, then it becomes personal preference.

Well I just got back from doing some clean up work with the 5100. Work was never this much fun!!!! The trees weren't real big, the biggest was about 16-18" but the fun factor with 5100 was! You can't go wrong.

I own a bone stock 346xp and my dad has an 026 that has actually been woods modded by a member here. I could cut him in half before and I can still out cut him now even after the mod (both with new chains). He just bought a 5100 to replace his 026. Keeping up with him is tougher now :). Get the 346xp or the 5100s. Don't listen to the Stihl fanboys :greenchainsaw:

I'm thinking in the neighborhood of $400.

So here's the numbers I've found locally :
Dolmar PS-5100 18 $ 409.95
Husky 346XP 18 $ 464.95

Stihl 260 Pro 18 $ 509.95
Stihl 361 18 $ 609.95

So far I've stayed out of the big box guys, so I guess I have been reminded of something I really knew. I haven't found the Echo or Jonsered gents yet, but I'm not done yet either. I WILL end up getting there, and I do appreciate all the onfo. I just don't relish the thought of pulling out the Roper, or the big barred (12") Homelite.:greenchainsaw:

Cs2153

I just picked up my CS2153 Jonsered today. $450 from local dealer. I loved the power and anti-vibe of the 346xp, just couldn't deal with the handlebar angle. I am thrilled with the Jonsered version. Like one poster said they will outcut a Stihl MS260 all day long. Something else that I noticed is that the faster chain speed seems to make for a smoother cut. If you can handle $450 I think you would be amazed with the CS2153. The Echo and Stihl are both good options, but the Jonsered/Husky will outcut anything either of those 2 has to offer for the same money. If you are used to running some of the older saws I think you will like the "feel" of the Jonsered. If screaming performance is not the most important thing to you the Echos are amazingly easy to run and have that 5 year warranty. The new CS450 looks like it should be a great saw. It's 45cc weighs about 10.7 pounds and has a very easy pull to start it. My son has a CS370 and it is the easiest saw to run that any of us own.

I'd say the 260.

Wait, the girl doesn't come with the saw?!?! :cry:

Personally, I'd probably take the 5100, 3/8, 16" B/C.

Oh yeah, good job ruling out the 361 early. You saved this thread from being 8 pages 361 priase.

The 5100 does not come with a 16" 3/8. You have to order at least an 18", trust me I tried and even had my dealer call the factory. But if you are gonna be an occasional user order the 5100 with a 20" 3/8, we added one to the fleet and it will hang with a 361 until you get into burrying the bar and then it gets passed. But still unreal power for a 49cc saw

I own a bone stock 346xp and my dad has an 026 that has actually been woods modded by a member here. I could cut him in half before and I can still out cut him now even after the mod (both with new chains). He just bought a 5100 to replace his 026. Keeping up with him is tougher now :). Get the 346xp or the 5100s. Don't listen to the Stihl fanboys :greenchainsaw:

The 026 is a very reliable saw but way overpriced when you have the 5100 option, and yes is not even in the same category as the 346. I would like to see the 346 vs the 5100 to see what happens.

The 5100 is a nice saw. I think you should somehow come up with the money to buy the MS361. It may hurt a little, I don't know your financial situation. For a bit extra, you are in a completely different league. The 361 is a Prince among pygmies.

Latest posts

Back