Another which saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I cut about 10 to 15 cords a year for personal use. Mostly oak, cherry, and locust. I swing a ms 210 around like mad to clear small brush then switch to a 362. I have wished lately for bigger bar (25-30) and the power to pull it well. I am contemplating a 460 at $815 and a 660 at $930. I realize most will say that bigger is better but I don't want to overdo things and don't want saw to be too heavy to use comfortably. Any thoughts on the 460 as it pertains to my situation?

I love running my dads ms460. It is what made me try to make my 362xp keep up. The MS460 is like a light saber through wood. That said I bet the 660 is even better. Ive never run a 660, If I were you Id go to a dealer and hold both for about 15 minutes while talking to a salesman and see which one feels better. The 660 might be a bit too heavy. One last saw to consider is the 441, my uncle has a 044 and they say the 441 is better. My uncles 044 is a damn fine firewood maker. Good Luck -Matt
edit: sorry I just re-read the OP and saw you said 25+ bar length, yeah scratch the 441, id get at least the ms460

24 is good on a 460 in hardwoods. You will have no problems. 28 with skip-chain and 32 is pushing it other than occassional use IMO. If you need to run a 28+ bar all the time then go 660. If its here and there I would go 460. I'm talking about running in harwoods also. I find my bigger saws get the least work other flushing stumps. A 70cc saw is a very useful tool.

WTH? Don't you all know YELLOW is the way to go? SP125, nuff said.

Apparently, the big yellers are to heavy for the OP, so I withdraw the above statement and questions.

Last edited:
as an alternative does anyone think my 362 will pull 25", maybe with a skip chain?

Look at the saws in my signature, we cut firewood for a living. The saw with the least use is the 660. For firewood it's overkill and a pig unless your in really big stuff.

Bought a new 460 the last week of Dec 2010, absolutely love it. Complements the 361 and 261 very well. We run a 25" bar with a 8 pin sprocket. The 460 or 441 will suite your needs just fine. It's the extra grunt your looking for, the 460 will handle a 32" if you need it too.

Look at the saws in my signature, we cut firewood for a living. The saw with the least use is the 660. For firewood it's overkill and a pig unless your in really big stuff.

Bought a new 460 the last week of Dec 2010, absolutely love it. Complements the 361 and 261 very well. We run a 25" bar with a 8 pin sprocket. The 460 or 441 will suite your needs just fine. It's the extra grunt your looking for, the 460 will handle a 32" if you need it too.

does the 460 pull 25" well in hardwood?

I had a 460, stock. The 460 has plenty of power and torque for firewood. I ran a 20 inch bar on mine with stihl chain and it worked fantastic. I now have a 066 with dual port muffler. Again 20 inch bar stihl rsc chain and it works on everything I need it for.

460 if your not going above 25 inch bar.

660 if you are going above 25 inch bar.

tell me this how often will you be using the bigger saw?

It pulls it extremely well. We cut mostly seasoned red/white oak and hickory.
The saws normally come with a 7 pin sprocket, but we change to an 8 pin for even more cutting speed as it has plenty of torque to pull it. A broke in 460 pulls a 28" extremely well in hardwood. It's plenty of saw, we love it. Since we bought it, the 660 has been used only once or twice, not because we needed too, one of the guys just wanted to run it. For anything over 20-22" it has become the go to saw.

I had a 460, stock. The 460 has plenty of power and torque for firewood. I ran a 20 inch bar on mine with stihl chain and it worked fantastic. I now have a 066 with dual port muffler. Again 20 inch bar stihl rsc chain and it works on everything I need it for.

460 if your not going above 25 inch bar.

660 if you are going above 25 inch bar.

tell me this how often will you be using the bigger saw?

I imagine the larger saw would be used less than 20% of the time. I probably only NEED a larger saw once a year, but it would be nice to have.

I would suggest the 460 for up to 32" bar it will pull nice in hardwood. If you ever want to run a 36" bar get the 660. I find both those saws heavy to carry around all day, I would take a good look at the 441 it will pull a 28" bar nicely and is a bit lighter a the 460.

I cut about 10 to 15 cords a year for personal use. Mostly oak, cherry, and locust. I swing a ms 210 around like mad to clear small brush then switch to a 362. I have wished lately for bigger bar (25-30) and the power to pull it well. I am contemplating a 460 at $815 and a 660 at $930. I realize most will say that bigger is better but I don't want to overdo things and don't want saw to be too heavy to use comfortably. Any thoughts on the 460 as it pertains to my situation?

Easy choice. If you got no need for a bar over 30 inches the 460 is your saw. The 660 with a bar under 30 inches doesn't cut much faster, if any, than a 460. Go beyond 30 inches the 660 really starts pulling away from a 460. Since your saying between 25-30inch bars it would be a 28 incher on a 460 for me. Use both saws for 3-4 hours and you'll soon realize just how much lighter the 460 feels.

Those prices you got there are good prices, well below list.

At that price I wouldn't consider the 460. The price on the 660 is less than a lot if dealers ask for the 460.

I would suggest the 460 for up to 32" bar it will pull nice in hardwood. If you ever want to run a 36" bar get the 660. I find both those saws heavy to carry around all day, I would take a good look at the 441 it will pull a 28" bar nicely and is a bit lighter a the 460.

The 441 and the 460 weigh the exact same, look it up. The 460 has .5 more horses than the 441 and takes up to a 32" bar.

The prices you quoted for a new saw seem around $100.00 too low?

I would check again, someone must of made a mistake on pricing them? You can't buy a new 460 in CT for less than $939.00 less tax. 660's are over 1K less tax.

Latest posts

Back