Any dedicated bar lubes out there that are crap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll run just about anything that is cheap.

There are only two that I have found that I wont run again.

The Crap sold at Menards looks and smells like somebody drained a septic tank, and then filtered the rinse water through a nasty old sweat sock.
If it isn't filtered motor oil, it's some other crap I don't want on me, on my saw, or in the air around the saw that I am breathing.

"Do-It" Brand Winter weight. Sold at hardware stores.
The stuff is absolutely the WORST mung ever sold as bar oil, and has the viscosity of peanut butter at room temp, and pizza dough below freezing.

Ya can't even get the stuff out of the jug without resorting to ketchup bottle antics when it's in the 30's.
If ya want to burn up a chain,Bar, and an oil pump at the same time, this is the stuff.

I kinda like the runny Poulan Red stuff.
It's great for cutting when it's cold but not real cold, and it's always good for a laugh or two dripping all over the bar leatherface style.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It's funny,the northern guys complain about too much viscosity,and the southern boys complain about that thin as water runny stuff that don't stick to the bar...;)

i like the husky , stays on the bar and chain good, get it by the case cheap. don't have a prob during the winter.

Thanks for putting 2 on the "10 Most Unwanted List," DeeGeeYo. I know you don't understand what REAL cold is, but darn if you aren't closer to life in Ely than those pukes south of the Mason-Dixon line. :clap: :clap:

Yea y'all yankees stick together now.......and shiver......:biggrinbounce2:

Dude, ya just don't get it. Put another log on the northern fire and curl up in the bearskin rug with your lady. Why do you think most true northern kids are born when they are?

Up here, where there's snow 8 months out of the year, we MATE when it's cold. Nothin keeps you warm better than sex. :D :D :D

Dude, ya just don't get it. Put another log on the northern fire and curl up in the bearskin rug with your lady. Why do you think most true northern kids are born when they are?

Up here, where there's snow 8 months out of the year, we MATE when it's cold. Nothin keeps you warm better than sex. :D :D :D

And here I pictured y'all doing something like this all winter.......that and watching hockey:laugh:

attachment.php

MN Farmer: The worst stuff I have ever seen was called Tall Timber or something like that. Fleet Farm sells it and when it gets cold it gets lumps in it! I use Cenex bar and chain oil and I haven't found anything better. Our local cenex station sells it in bulk now so it's pretty reasonable.

Tall Timber (<a href="http://www.comolube.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=tall_timber.benefits"> Web page</a>) actually comes in two grades, summer and winter. Yes, the summer grade does clump up when its pretty cold out, but keep it in the truck when its cold out and you'll be fine. The chainsaw itself will keep it warm when you're cutting.

Palisade?

I used to hunt deer near there with my dad as a kid. We had relatives there. We'd also canoe on the Willow river (don't know why, other than another good excuse to see relatives...Mississippi is more fun). I remember your Cenex from when it was a Farmer's Co-Op, and sold a little of everything.

Guys gripe about oil weight. To an extent it is a pain to "glug" out the oil in the winter, but your chainsaw runs at basicly the same temperature no matter what time of the year it is so does your bar & chain. the b&c is going to get hot in the cut along with the oil tank and the oiler.

With all of the people that admit to using used oil in their saws, I think any of the commercial stuff will do the trick at least better than that.

I saw some Poulan brand at a Walmart and the price made me go, "hot da*n" and I bought a couple jugs.

It was the worst stuff I've ever tried, runny and no tackiness. Took one jug back and gave the other away. I think straight 30w would be better.

I've seen here on the forum that there are different "Walmart" bar oils, some ok and some trash. All I know is I got the trash and never bought it again.

Latest posts

Back