Anybody run a ported saw for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a tired 044 that I picked up this past spring from a retired logger. Cut about 5-6 cords with it since I got it, and while I really like it, I keep feeling like it needs an overhaul and could stand a little more oomph. Really considering sending it out to one of the builders on this site to get it rebuilt/"woods" ported to be done with it....then, I'll have a strong, reliable saw for years to come.

Anybody else run a ported saw for firewood duty? If so, what is it? How do you like it? To what effect is it ported, and what do you think is too much for this type of use? Just looking for some feedback outside of the Chainsaw forum, which has tendency to drift farther and farther away from real life application at times...:D

Personally I try to use my saw a good bit at least one of two days every week. Doesn't always work out like that due to family, work, and weather, but when I want my saw to run, I want it to run strong.

yes. I don't have any stock saws anymore. Most of the people of with ported saws are only firewood cutters.

When I rebuilt my 026 I massaged the ports a bit, removed the base gasket, and used a Meteor piston which was high in quality. Very happy with the results, it can hang with my stock MS362 in +/-12" wood and weighs a lot less. Ported saws FTW!

Check out your costs..
You can Port and/or DP Muffler your 044 or pick up a 460 or 660 if you need more HP..
(I know, if you get a 460 or 660 you will want to Port those too)

I plan on sending my 562xp out after the holiday to be ported and pop up piston. All I can say is I've haven't heard many people "I have to much power" or "It's just way to fast"

If the saw needs a rebuild anyway then why not.

I have an EHP 2156 and 395xp. They are woods ported work saws. I use the 2156 the most because it is light and has close to the same power as a 2171. I also like the fact that ported saws are faster in the cut, which reduces the time it takes me to cut a cord of wood. It could also be argued that in experienced hands ported saws are safer while falling trees due to the fact one is cutting to the hinge faster reducing the chance of a barber chair. But for the inexperienced there could be more chance of cutting off the hinge.

I have had my saws ported for a couple of years and have had zero issues with either one.

Check out your costs..
You can Port and/or DP Muffler your 044 or pick up a 460 or 660 if you need more HP..
(I know, if you get a 460 or 660 you will want to Port those too)

Yeah...thought about that simpler option as well. I feel like I might as well get it fully woods ported, with the lowered squish, turn down piston, carb rebuild/upgrade, muff mod, while it's sent out. I feel like this particular saw could really benefit from a rebuild like that and it wouldn't be wasted on me, as I'm sitting here thinking about how when I'm out cutting bigger wood, I'm wanting more power, but not necessarily more weight of the 660. 460 level of power could probably be attained with a solid port job, or no?

Absolutely, in our firewood business, our 460 is 40=43% faster after being ported, we posted videos of before and after same chain, same log, it absolutley pays with the extra production it puts out. It far exceeds the increased fuel usage. Wouldn't have all stock saws, plan on having more ported.

This is good feedback given here so far. I am in the same boat, wondering if a woods ported saw would do me any good in my firewood operation.

You probably have a good specimen in the 044 to have modified. Considering it is a tired old work horse and what not.

Yes!!!

I have never had a saw that remained stock for long,... At a minimum, they all get MM'ed and re-tuned which benefit the saws greatly. I have been running my Stumpbroke 372 a decent amount since buying it via Stumpy and Specter29... It positively screams, runs cooler and cuts like it has a personal hatred for all things wooden. I will likely ben sending my 261 to get "broke as well" and will likely be picking up either a 550xpAT or 562xpAT which will also get broken. I will be getting a ported 395 as well, only because I have access to Oak and Hedge that justifies the purchase of such... Long Story short, as long as it's not a full-out "race saw" once you've run a ported saw 50cc or larger, you'll not want to go back. A stock saw will simply feel sluggish to you.

I have a ported 372xp, a stock 55rancher, and a stock stihl 021. I use the 372 mainly, its a huge difference. Also a much bigger saw than the other 2.

When I have a reason to rebuild the 55 it'll get ported a bit. The 021 I'll leave stock. For what I use it for, limbing small stuff, its plenty.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

My 261 is def getting ported next month, just sure by whom yet. It will be my first one(que modanna song...)
I wanted to get some time on it and break it in before getting it ported to really see the difference. I'm doing it mostly because I like the idea 60-70cc of power in a 50cc package, at least thats what I'm hoping for. That and I just think its cool. I put a Flowmaster exhuast plus a K&N cold air intake on my truck and pipes and big sucker on my harley. "Hot rodding" stuff is just cool. :cool2:

The only modded 261 I've ran is from mastermind. I ran it yesterday for 2 tanks in some oak and most of it was bar length for the 18" bar on it. It pulled it fine and impressed me the most out of the 50 cc saws I've ran.

The only modded 261 I've ran is from mastermind. I ran it yesterday for 2 tanks in some oak and most of it was bar length for the 18" bar on it. It pulled it fine and impressed me the most out of the 50 cc saws I've ran.
What all was done to it?

I think compression was increased and its no longer a strato.

Should you use a ported saw for firewood?

Only if you are in a hurry!.......:D

Very wise statement by Uncle John. Pretty much says it all. :msp_thumbsup:

If I were trying to make a living cutting firewood I might run ported saws. But I only cut a few cords per year, and I tend to work at a leisurely pace. I usually limb the conifers I cut with an axe, simply because it's more fun. I also split with an axe. The percentage of total time I spend with my chain saw in a cut is trivial. Most of the time I spend on firewood is spent searching for the right trees, loading and unloading the rounds, and splitting and stacking the wood. The small amount of time saved bucking up a log with a ported saw is of no consequence to me. But then again I'm not in a hurry!

Doug

Latest posts

Back