Anyone else here that can't stand the US Postal Service?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mailbox is at home... well at the end of the road about 1/2 a mile from my house. They don't deliver mail to houses, just mailboxes by the highway. If it won't fit in the box, it doesn't get delivered. Oh and I tried putting a really big mailbox. That didn't work, they measure the packages and if it's over a certain size it won't go, no matter the mailbox size.

The mailbox for the shop is about 75ft from the front door and they don't deliver packages here either.
Wow! Im just lucky I guess. My mailbox is 20yds from my frontdoor and if the package doesnt fit they leave it under the front porch

Here USPS is pretty much the only choice for reasonable price shipping. UPS and Fedex are quite expensive, at times 3-4x more than USPS.

You live in Alaska, right?

Postal service to Alaska is heavily subsidized by the rest of us. Especially air shipments to the interior. Part of USPS obligation to serve everyone.

UPS and FedEx can charge more in line with their actual costs. That's part of the reason for the long lines at the Post Office.

If they deliver to the door in every remote place, their costs would go up more, but they would not get any more revenue. If packages were left out and stolen I am sure people would not be happy with that either.

Philbert

My house is 1/2 mile from the highway which is the main drag. Its a big circle with about 12 houses.
From my house to the post office its maybe 2 miles.

I know you guys watch all this bullcrap Alaska "reality" shows and think we all live in the woods and I crawled into a bears guts last night to stay warm, but it's just like any small/medium sized city.

The priority "3 day" shipping to or from here is more like 2+ week shipping. No they won't refund your $$ if that 3 day package takes even 3 months.

So what is the solution? How about if we close it down and save the money - would that be better?

So what is the solution? How about if we close it down and save the money - would that be better?
There is no excuse for corruption, or waste, or lazy employees in any business or organization. We have all seen the videos of the FedEx guy throwing the flat screen TV over the fence. We have all seen people who pack things like sh*t and expect them to arrive without damage from normal handling. Theft happens from all of services, going back to the Pony Express and pirates before that.

People are a pain in the a** to manage. Some of us have better experiences locally with one service or another. I have heard of countries where they just assume that X% of things will get stolen from the mail. I have worked with companies where the security guards would routinely pilfer through the incoming mail. Some people just don't care. Some people justify theft of packages by claiming insurance or large companies will cover it.

Some of us have better experiences with one service or another - that might vary with the local employees, how we ship, how much we ship, etc. I have had good and bad experiences with USPS, UPS, and FedEx. But I think that it is hard to paint them with a broad brush.

Philbert

The USPS needs a complete over-haul. From the top to the bottom. Lots of regulations have been in place since it was formed. Way too many one-horse town post offices. Salaries need to be re-formulated. Same with benefits. Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

It won't be easy or pleasant. But it needs to be done. Don't think I'll ever see it happen in my lifetime though.

The USPS needs a complete over-haul. From the top to the bottom. Lots of regulations have been in place since it was formed. Way too many one-horse town post offices. Salaries need to be re-formulated. Same with benefits. Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

It won't be easy or pleasant. But it needs to be done. Don't think I'll ever see it happen in my lifetime though.
No thanks, I like our one-horse town PO.

Also I find that "complete overhaul" is code for "lets strip the assets of this thing, convert them to cash for us to steal, and leave it an empty shell".

That is not my intent at all. I think the "greatest room in the world is the room for improvement." I realize that as one has said "we've all had our experiences." My worst ones have been with the USPS. Not withstanding, I am not saying they "do nothing good." I do believe however, that the systems for quality control, expedited package arrival times, etc. have quite a long way to go. I actually use a "one horse town" post office, and am very pleased with their customer service. Not pleased at all with the system tracking, treatment of packages, arrival times as purchased and so on...

At this point I guess we are just batting around the issue based on experience. My mail man is a great guy. He does a great job, and I commend him for it when I see him.
Just my 2 pennies.

Maybe if Chris Christy wins the presidency, he can put Romney in charge of the post office where he will cancel deliveries to 57% of the people to drive down costs and turn a profit.
I'm sitting here watching this Green Bay, Dallas game just to see how many times it shows that pig trying to squeeze a hug from Jerry Jones as I look forward to reading my newspaper tomorrow delivered by my local post office.

Disagree with that. Our one horse town PO was to be closed, but we fought like hell and won. Next closest office is 13 miles one way and I mail stuff 2-3 times a week.

But I agree with "Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians"...

I don't know about you guys, but I have had expensive items go missing in usps. One time, I was shipping a $175 knife, and some worker at one of the processing plants must have decided it was worth risking his job to steal my knife, because all that showed up at my customer's door was an empty package with my business card in it. Why would they even deliver an opened package with nothing in it is beyond me...

Disagree with that. Our one horse town PO was to be closed, but we fought like hell and won. Next closest office is 13 miles one way and I mail stuff 2-3 times a week.

But I agree with "Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians"...

If we are to improve the overall success and function of the USPS, there will have to be concessions to be made.

Just too many remote / system draining post offices in existence. Not cost effective and all that jazz.

I didn't say that it would be easy or pleasant..............:innocent:

If we are to improve the overall success and function of the USPS, there will have to be concessions to be made.

Just too many remote / system draining post offices in existence. Not cost effective and all that jazz.

I didn't say that it would be easy or pleasant..............:innocent:
So high population centers get Post Offices and the rest of the country no?

Latest posts

Back