Anyone ever cracked a piston using a piston stop??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, like i said, I learn something new every day. Next tool on my list... stihl piston stop. Thanks fellas, hopefully i will stop breaking stuff eventually (probably not though). I guess my first step in the right direction was throwing the threaded piston stop in the trash can. And again, thanks everybody for sharing your experiences with screwing up too, it makes me not feel so bad ha. I think I'm going to start a wall of shame in my garage with all of my screwups so all I have to do is glance at it and rethink something that I'm working on that is questionable.:monkey:

Tant no biggie, ---it happens. Save that piston stop. Its good for the striaght up and down spark plug hole, just not to be used in angled ones..

You guessed it, i get the moron of the day award. I was just cleaning up the ole' MS660 and checking everything over to make sure shes good for spring when I decided I might as well pull the clutch off and clean all the gunk behind there since I got the saw used and it's probably never been cleaned under there. So I pull the plug and put the piston stop in and slowly turn the clutch until the piston bottoms on the piston stop, umph the wrench a little (not like holy crap umph but a nice stiff umph), and feel something break loose, it made me shudder immediately because I knew it didnt have the feeling of threads breaking loose. I thought "Oh no!" and pulled the piston stop and saw a nice dent with a couple thin cracks leading to it in the top of the piston. Needless to say, there were plenty of swear words involved but I knew at that point in time there was no undoing it. So I immediately started the teardown and got a new piston on order. I just want to kick myself in the a@$ :angry: so bad. I know I am an absolute idiot but please tell me someone else has done this to make me feel a little better. At least now I have a good excuse to check out every single thing on the saw but I wish it wouldnt have happened this way. :bang: Have mercy on the picking fun at me because I already know I am an idiot doing this.

Most likely forgot to rotate the piston stop so it sits flush with the piston.

Well, like i said, I learn something new every day. Next tool on my list... stihl piston stop. Thanks fellas, hopefully i will stop breaking stuff eventually (probably not though). I guess my first step in the right direction was throwing the threaded piston stop in the trash can. And again, thanks everybody for sharing your experiences with screwing up too, it makes me not feel so bad ha. I think I'm going to start a wall of shame in my garage with all of my screwups so all I have to do is glance at it and rethink something that I'm working on that is questionable.:monkey:

OK, guess I should have read further...wrong stop. Also make sure to rotate it once you put it in the spark plug hole :)

Go get em ole Tom! You learned me...you can learn anyone, lol:cheers:

Well everyone knows the ole saying, mistakes are the best learning tools in the world. I've seen much worse mistakes than a busted piston, tant no biggie.

I seen one yesterday where a man was told his piston was scored by a shop. Saw wasn't worth repairing they said, that will be 37.50.

He brought it to me. For 33.75 in labor and a few parts I got it out to the log sawing wood. How can someone charge more to say its not worth repairing and another guy repairs it for less and its running fine. Blew me away. Mistakes like that don't go over well with the owner of the saw, man he was hot at the other shop. My reply, shouda brought to me in the first place, no mercy, hardcore I is,LOL

A long time ago, I was removing a manifold from my truck, and I listened to
a guy preaching against impact wrenches, so I used a big ratchet, and
broke the first bolt, then used an impact on the rest, and they came out without
a problem. Spent more time and money on the broken bolt than the rest of the job.....

Moral of the story, I am not sure...........
Don't believe just anyone, I guess.......

Always use a little heat on these types of bolts and I usually soak them with penetrant for a few days first. A controlled impact will work better than a socket and breaker bar as the rotational forces that you put on the bolt with a lever can shear the head off where hammer blows from an impact wrench will release the corrosion bond.

This being said I don’t see where your story of manifold bolts relates to chainsaw clutches and why to use an impact wrench over the stihl indoctrinated method.

Must have been working for a friend, rather than a customer to put that kind of time in it?

Might say that, I was working for me. The saw was brought in, froze tight, could not budge it over even with the flywheel. Told the guy it had to come apart. He didn't want to pay for the labor, said keep it. I did. Got 150.00 for later on. Saw still going strong today.

If you wanna hear a goodie let me know. I wouldn't normally tell this story but its so funny you will die laffing.

i never tried to use any kind of piston stop or rope to keep an engine from turning, guess i never thought of it,,, i just wrap hose clamps around teh fly wheel, and hold it that way... on some engines, an oil filter wrench works...

Bring it on! What else are we going to do on a boring winter work day?:)

Hold onto your lungs.

Man brings in two 310's. Neither will start. He needs his saws ASAP. I grab one and fire it up, doesn't run worth a dayummm. Check the fuel in the tank, half water. Refill with good fuel saw runs fine. Hand it back to him. I grab the other one, rope won't pull, locked tight. I remove the pull cord assembly, grab the flywheel and it will turn back and forth half way and stop dead. I tell the guy you done lost a bearing. He isn't buying it, he wants to see the bearing. I tell him its got to come apart for him to see the bearing, thats $50.00. He thinks and says ok, tear it apart and I'll be back to check on it later.

I rip it apart, sure enuff the clutch side bearing has lost is spacer, all the ball bearing are together on one side of the bearing. I set the thing to the side. He comes in two days later wanting to see this bad bearing. I show it to him. He pulls what I knew he was going to do, he says screw it, I'll buy a new saw, what kinda discount can you give me. I go your discount is the work I did showing you this bad bearing, buy a new saw at list and we'll forget about this saw. He buys another 310 at list, leaves some chains for me to sharpen and gives me the one with the bad bearing.

I take the bad bearing saw home, install new bearings and seals and bring it back to the shop. Yup its for sale. A week later here this same man comes to get his sharpened chains. I go you wanna hear your old saw run. He goes you got it running, I go yeah, you coulda had it repaired, I told you that. He goes well lets hear it run. I go get the old saw, fire it up and it purrs like a kitten. He goes whatttttttt, I shoulda got it repaired. I go you was too tight to get it repaired, remember. He grins and asks how much. I go I'm gonna sell it for 200.00. He writes me out a check and buys back his old saw,LOLOLOL

Howdy,
Just a little observation I made back in the day. I don't grab a piston stop unless the impact doesn't work. The thing that I found out is when I was installing the piston stop, I would screw it with my fingers until it stopped. The issue is that if the spark plug hole is deeper than the plug threads, there's a carbon buildup below the plug threads. When this happens, it feels like the stop is home but, actually it's not in all the way. It doesn't sound like much but, a 1/4" is a huge difference because the closer the piston gets to TDC, the more pressure you can exert on the top of the piston because of mechanical advantage.
Regards
Gregg

That's a good point Gregg and maybe the reason why some are punching holes in the piston.
In the ten years I've been using a metal piston stop, I've never punched a hole in a piston.
In a pinch I'll use rope or my shirt tail, but it just makes things too spongy for proper removal I find.
Gypo

I had a old guy in the shop while all that was going on. After the man took the saw this old guy goes you know what, I go what, he goes your one slick MOFO,LOLOLOLOL

So.. how much would it have been to repair in the first place?

My local shop would have probably charged $300!

I'd be ahead paying $200 for the repaired saw! :laugh:

Latest posts

Back