Anyone have Pictures of MS 260 Muffler mod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtgrs737

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just got a used MS 260 and would like to Mod the muffler for more power and cooler running. Does anyone have any pictures of the mod they could post? You know what they say: a picture is worth a thousand words!

Like this

attachment.php

Do a search, lot's of info here on the 026/260 muffler mods, as many ways to do it as there are people willing to try.

This is what you want but make sure you have a adjustable carb, you should have a "H", "L", and "LA" adjustment. You should have one or two holes, just open them up like the pic. Be sure to retune after the mod. Ignore the orange circles that is another style 026 muff....before epa.
attachment.php

This is what you want but make sure you have a adjustable carb, you should have a "H", "L", and "LA" adjustment. You should have one or two holes, just open them up like the pic. Be sure to retune after the mod. Ignore the orange circles that is another style 026 muff....before epa.
attachment.php

Looks just like what I did to mine!!!!

Instead of the 4 holes as pictured.. the 260 likely has a single center hole about 3/8 inch. Just drill a 5/16 to 3/8 above and below the orginal. Retune the carb.

Before you start make sure your carb has a highspeed needle some had a fixed high speed jet. If you have a high speed mixture screw you will need to remove the limiter caps by using a small screw and gently screw it inward until the screw grabs you don't want to force it because the needle may get damaged (drywall screw works great) use a pair of vice grips on the screw and line up the slot with the tabs on the limiter caps now you can pull off the limiter cap line up the slot first. Just drill some holes and richen up the high speed needle and your in business.

Good point...

If you do have a fixed H jet (not usually found on the MS260).... Drill one hole, test it, then drill another if it still burbles too much at WOT I've found that two 5/16 holes makes the Fixed jet WT403 work just fine... But a WT194 is best, followed by a WT426 or WTE series.

This is what I did, following the basic advice of Andy. Experimentation on individual saws is good in my opinion. Drill, start, tune, try it and drill another one, etc. etc.

Back