Anyone have the new Stihl MS-461?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icedogs28

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, i was at my local shop today and picked up (held not purchased) a new 461. i was amazed how light and balanced it felt compared to the old 460. i know its techniclally the same weight but it just had a better feel to it. i recently had to sell my 362 and am now ready to pick up another saw, and while im not a huge fan of auto tune carbs, living in CA i don't have much of a choice... anyone have this new saw? opinions? good or bad issues with the new carb? thanks!

There's plenty of threads about the 461. If they've got them in mtronic then that's the first one in the country that's been reported to arborist site.

The 461's have the Intellicarb, which is different from Auto Tune (Husky) or M-Tronic (Stihl). The Intellicarb is a carb that compensates for a dirty air filter. The M-tronic or Autotune is actually an actively controlled carburetor using a PID controller. Makes adjustments to the carb while cutting.

your echo was faster :laugh:

well, thanks for clearing up the differences of the new carbs. im happy the 461 isnt auto tune. iv been wanting a bigger saw for a while, thats enough good news for me to to pick one up! thanks guys!

Its a great saw,if your running a 28 inch or longer bar may consider the wrap model it has a better oiler

thanks trx250, i was planing on running a 28inch bar. seeing as im planing on running a ms261 for my 80% of my cutting, this ms461 will be my "big saw", only needing it once in awhile, so i figure why not get the big bar and the wrap handle! :cheers:

I have a ported 461R with a 25" b&c and absolutely love it. It is balenced well with the 25" b&c on it, it handles great for a bigger saw, it doesent wear you out too bad. I love it. And brad did a great job porting it, it really screams.

Ps. An echo 670 has probably never outcut one, its one of the running jokes on here

I might have heard of a MS 461R :msp_ohmy:

And there fun to run :msp_ohmy:

Last edited:
I get to reading about this saw and almost wish I was young enough to try one, but then, I'll just enjoy reading you young fellers posts.:computer:

Great saw with a 25 or 28'' this one is ported with a 25'' and a 8 pin sprocket in Sugargum.

[video=youtube;hxtxK2OpEsI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxtxK2OpEsI[/video]

Latest posts

Back