Anyone Heating Yet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a vow not to start mine until at least Oct 1st. Still getting to the 70s during the day and getting plenty of solar heat thru the windows. Getting to high 40s at night but house is still 68 in the morning. I am choosing to wait awhile yet.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

A couple days mid Sept when it froze 2 nights but was 90 deg today set record for Sept since 1903 or 05 somewhere back then! Sounds like 60 or so
next couple days and back to the 80's next week so not yet!

Lit mine up once yesterday. Not really for heat although it was a tad chilly. Mostly just wanted to fire it up to check and make sure everyhing was sound since last season. Since I am gone alot during the week I preferred to be there for the first fire, just in case...

had it lit a few times, once to try out some of the osage orange i have and a couple times when the misses was cold. although i logged out the nieghbors woods this spring so in his abundance of firewood he has had his lit for almost a month!

Will start on Friday!

There is a shot of cold air heading our way and should hit around then. My lovely wife has already informed me that the fiery furnace will be up and running by the time she gets home on Friday.
Yes Ma'am

Most of the time I usually wait until around November to begin heating; I will do a test burn and might use some gas heat if it gets to chilly for the family in the house. If I heat to early, my little Hotblast will force us outside. I have about two and a half cords of wood ready for this season and about another two that has been seasoning at my mother inlaws for the last two years (she is to lazy to burn) while I am going to grab. Should be just enough to make me through the rough parts of winter.

Tes

Normally don't need any heat until late October, early November... but last week we had some unusually cool air with the overnight temperatures putting frost on the windshields. I'm an early riser, usually have the coffee on around 4:eek:o AM, and I started a small fire two of those mornings when the house temperature was in the low 60's (the damn furnace kicked in one morning, and that prompted my action). Just didn't seem right... having the stove burning when the window screens are still on.

I'll probably start putting a few storm windows on next week, and probably be putting plastic over the windows the week after... that's usually enough to keep us warm until October end. Early to mid-November means a morning fire to take the chill off, with an occasional evening fire. From late November til mid-December we let the fire go out about mid-day and start it again around dusk... Around mid-December the fire is burning 24/7, and by early January I'll be switching to oak before heading into bed. About 2/3's of the days from Mid-January through February the stove will probably see oak 24/7. March sucks... never know what kind of, or how much wood to load the stove with... usually end up opening a window to cool the house off on half the days. By second week of April I'm back to the "on-again/off-again" fire thing. Next comes May... and then about two weeks later it's November again already.

Been running my OWB for about 2 weeks now.... its warm out so I only have to throw a log or two in every 24 hours went 3 days on one good load when we went away and came back to it still half full.... Just lit it to burn up some wood thats been on the ground getting a little punky and help cut back on the electric bill as my water heater is electric

Yeah, we've been burning a couple of weeks too. I fired up the OWB mostly because the water heater crapped out on me(no biggie, just the top element module tripped) and I didn't feel like slithering into the crawl space to reset the top element. Been going ever since and I gave me a chance to see how my DHW exchanger is working. Took it apart this spring and soaked it all in vinegar. Works like a champ again.:msp_cool:

lit mine one day this month. It was 54*F on the 6th, and I wanted a little warmth. Not since then though.

Do you have a stove or a OWB?

We have two days coming up here that are supposed to be hi's in the low 50's and lows in mid 30's, but then it is supposed to bounce back to mid 60 and mid 40s at night. So I am debating if i want to start the OWB for that, or just use the gas furnace for two days. hahah

LAST saturday i didnt feel too well and it was 63 degrees in the house, i almost fired up the stove, no take that back i almost turned on the furnace. didnt feel like starting the first fire yet. within a couple weeks though i'll bet.

We have had some cool weather with rain so the house was feeling damp and the dehimidfier wasn't taking care of it to my liking. I lit the furnace up with a minium load of wood. That after noon we had the windows and doors open but the damp feeling was gone. Been told I am firing it up again today for the cold that is supposed to come into the area and freeze plants. With electric heat in the house you never ever unless your near death turn on that furnace.

:D Al

We had a week of rain and cold temps little more than a week ago... had to fire up the stove in the basement when the house dropped to 63F.

Managed to get a few days of warm dry weather to dry the stacks back out, and brought in the first load to the basement.

Looking at the 10 day forecast, if I can make it through Saturday when it dips into the upper 30's, I probably won't fire the OWB up till mid Oct. Highs are into the mid 70's every day till then.

Fired my OWB for the first time (ever!) on Sunday. Didn't really need to heat wise, but it's nice not to hear the furnace kick on just to heat my hot water. Doesn't seem to be burning much - just a few splits a day. The forecast is calling for lows in the 30's in a few days, so we'll be heating after that I'm sure.

Back