anyone selling "green" wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyexpress976

nipple fritters
Reaction score
I just got a huge load of wood in that I wasn't expecting. I was wondering if any of you sellers will unload it green and if there is a standard "discount" for buying it this way? Seasoned hardwoods are going for 185 per cord right now. I was thinking 110-125 ballpark. Just looking for some feedback.

Actually, now that you mention it, I discussed with a repeat customer today that I was trying to encourage people to buy their firewood for the next burning season in the spring.

With that idea there would be many advantages:

1. I can have steady business throughout the year.
2. The customer will have their wood ready to burn for their next season.
3. They know it WILL be DRY. It will already be split when delivered. They take up like popcorn farts!
4. It will be affordable. Not on the basis of it being green wood, because I do not believe it to diminish value. Will you burn wood in the spring? No, but you will in the winter. I can make it affordable for people because if I can be supplied year round business I do not have to sit on the wood and be in a frenzy investing into tarps and enclosures to keep the wood dry for the procrastinators when the cold hits.

Being Honest

I know there is at least one state which has restrictions on selling green wood and with a limit on moisture content. However where there are no restrictions I see nothing dishonest in selling this green wood if you tell the customer " this wood is green and is not for burning until later ".

Nosmo

The math doesn't change getting the wood from log to splits, why lower the price? Why take the pay cut?

Selling green, unburnable wood? NO.

When wood was plentiful and easy to cut and load, I would post an add that read, "Green firewood, cut, not split, $100.00-$150.00/cord" depending on how far I had to go to deliver. Some Saturdays, we would cut and deliver 3 cords.
We would cut, load and deliver handling the wood once. Many buyers felt they were saving money by splitting it themselves. We made a load of money that summer. Locally, cut, split green firewood sells for a little less than seasoned. You don't see too much at this time of year but come spring/summer, the adds show up. Good luck.

Last edited:
That what I sell through till winter when we start cutting tops, Guys with boiler like the green wood. I get $120 a cord in larger chunks.

I sell Wood, So Yes

Wood around here goes for $100 to $165 a cord, I wouldn't go to cheap on it is still Good Wood

Last edited:
That what I sell through till winter when we start cutting tops, Guys with boiler like the green wood. I get $120 a cord in larger chunks.

I sell Wood, So Yes

If the guys with boilers knew any better they would burn seasoned wood like everybody else.

:deadhorse:

:agree2: it still takes the same amount of work.

Maybe it does take the same work, maybe it doesn't. If the wood can be cut, split, loaded, and delivered, they may be one less handling of the wood. Also, there is no stacking or storage on your property, keeping it available for other wood/ materials. If you can cut out the splitting part and let the customer split, there is a large savings in time.

Also, there is value to having cash flow be more continuous. I wouldn't discount it a lot, but some is certainly reasonable.

2-steps Eliminated

I can see two major chores eliminated by selling the green wood directly from the splitter to the trailer and then unloading and stacking at the customer's home.

The two steps eliminated are moving and stacking the wood after it is split and the reloading it when it is to be delivered later.

Anybody who thinks cutting , hauling, splitting, stacking and moving wood is easy money - well need I say more.

Nosmo

thanks fellas...I was mainly considering the "discount" for simply not having to store it since technically seasoned wood becomes more valuable. But after what's been posted maybe 125 per cord green is a little lite? I was going to post an add and see if anyone bit, depending on the demand either go up or down a few bucks. And as far as the seasoned goes...no calls for about two weeks then 3 calls by noon today. Is it always this sporadic?

125 seems very cheap if you can get 185 for seasoned. If you want to make money selling wood don't aim to be the cheapest guy out there. Many people will
gladly pay a premium for good product and reliable service. In my area there are always part timers advertising cheap wood online for as low as 225 per cord. I have no problem getting 350 - 400 per cord in the same market. If your phone is not ringing when you want it to you may want to consider more advertising.

I based my price on what I saw on craigslist...I know, I know...Im kinda lumping myself in with all the fly by night guys selling crap. Most of the adds are around 160 for "seasoned wood" and Im at 180. I also tell new customers I'll bring a load out for them to look at before I dump it. I tell them the volume of a cord versus the volume of my truck bed (128 vs. 189). And I also tell them what I'm selling is also where I get the wood for my own personal usage. I think Im on the right track as far as giving a good product at a fair market price. I also just ordered a moisture meter to keep in the truck in case anyone needs convincing....I had a guy give me the stink eye because the wood wasn't gray. I tried to explain that the wood turns gray when exposed to sunlight and that I was getting towards the middle of one of the stacks for this particular load.

Latest posts

Back