anyone spreading mulch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imagineero

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I get customer requests from time to time asking if I do landscaping/planting/gardening, and I always say no because we just do tree work. One of the more common requests is for mulch spreading, and I've stayed away from it mainly because I have no idea how to price it. I always offer them free mulch, and advice on how to deal with it, but many folks just don't want to do it. Anyone have some advice/insight on whether it's worth offering as a service, potential pitfalls and how to price it?

I'm doing a tree job tomorrow, mainly a clearout of weed trees that have built up over the years in a rental. I agreed to lay weed barrier and spread mulch as part of the job and I think I've priced it well but I won't know until the job is done.

Shaun

We do it for free too

We also just spread mulch for free. I always thought it was too much trouble to start selling it. Would be interested in some ideas though...

If your talking chips. I give them to customers but charge $30 a yard to spread them. If your talking mulch that I have to buy then I charge between $75-$100 a yard. Figuring I am soending $25 a yard for the mulch.

There is good money in mulching.

If there is one thing a tree crew hates doing is spreading mulch. Don't even ask your climbers to do it. Our landscape maint. division charges $125 cu. yd. to weed, edge and mulch beds.

I think there is opportunity there...however, I refer it to lawn maintenance folks. There are a few who refer work to me, so it is nice to be able to send work their way as well.

The job went ok, but I quoted it too low for sure. This is what it looked like after;

attachment.php

And here is the before pic to give you some idea.

attachment.php

Total area was 110 square yards, and we spread 12 cubic yards of chips over it. The chips came form a job I chipped the day before, so they didn't cost me anything. We removed a couple smaller trees in this photo, which was priced separately, and half a dozen other trees removed and trimmed which was also not included in the price. The mulching was basically priced as an add on. We get in ad cut all the weeds down to ground level, and they were left there. We then poisoned the weeds, laid down weed mat on top and pegged it down, then spread the mulch. Site access was poor, and getting the mulch from the street to the backyard took a lot longer than I figured. It took a 5 man crew 6 hours all up. Total cost for wages and weed mat came up to $950. I priced it at $1500 which in my opinion was too low. If I was to do it again I'd be pricing it at $20/yard minimum, but honestly it wasn't a joyous experience. $25~$30/yard would probably be more realistic. At that price you could have enough guys on site to make it bearable.

Shaun

I do it, and I like it. Good coin. I never use chips, always use twice ground and natural dyed, dark brown hardwood mulch. Buy it in bulk from the guy who takes my wood and chips. He has tub and the gear to do it. I don't go after it, but if a existing client wants it, I will bid it. We never lay weed matting, it just keeps the weeds already under down, the weeds seed that lands on top will take off anyways. Never apply chems. I hate chems. Always re-cut the edging. I lay it 3" thick. We remove the old first tho. I will try and tie it in with cleaning up all the plants as well. Nothing looks worse than mulch just thrown down and kicked around under a bunch of ratty looking shrubs and flowers. So we make sure it looks perfect when we leave. We also make sure that they understand it will not stay that way for long, it has to be maintained, and that, we don't do. We do the same thing when we plant a tree. I installed black mulch once at the Carvers's residence (Carver Hawkeye Arena peeps) Big huge badass million dollar home and it looked horrible! Their landscape maintenance dude didn't maintain it, it looked like hell after a couple weeks, bright green little weeds contrast really well against the black! Lots of prep work makes the application real easy.

Its easy peasy money , I already have the machines , why not , better then dealing with some huge nasty tree just to turn a dollar , and its easy on the guys . Half decent money , alot landscapers driving nice trucks , so there is money to be made

I spread chips at dump sites for free (sometimes), otherwise not interested. Been farming out the mulch for one lady for 3 of the last 4 years I've worked for her. She takes about 50 yards of chips which the gardener spreads, and then 22 yards (+/-) of hemlock mulch. The one time I did it took 2 guys a little over 2 days if I remember correctly. The guy I've farmed it out to the last 2 years gets it done with 4 or 5 guys in a day. Material cost is around $45 / yard and the job goes for around $2,500 all said and done.

The job went ok, but I quoted it too low for sure. This is what it looked like after;

attachment.php

And here is the before pic to give you some idea.

attachment.php

Total area was 110 square yards, and we spread 12 cubic yards of chips over it. The chips came form a job I chipped the day before, so they didn't cost me anything. We removed a couple smaller trees in this photo, which was priced separately, and half a dozen other trees removed and trimmed which was also not included in the price. The mulching was basically priced as an add on. We get in ad cut all the weeds down to ground level, and they were left there. We then poisoned the weeds, laid down weed mat on top and pegged it down, then spread the mulch. Site access was poor, and getting the mulch from the street to the backyard took a lot longer than I figured. It took a 5 man crew 6 hours all up. Total cost for wages and weed mat came up to $950. I priced it at $1500 which in my opinion was too low. If I was to do it again I'd be pricing it at $20/yard minimum, but honestly it wasn't a joyous experience. $25~$30/yard would probably be more realistic. At that price you could have enough guys on site to make it bearable.

Shaun

Looks good at least!

I used to landscape and did mulch and also rock dust. Nasty work but it makes some coin.

I don't have the energy any more to do it for other people, but..something I thought about in the past but never did it..an old fashioned dump out the back manure spreader could do mulch as well, automated. And they are cheap used.

I get customer requests from time to time asking if I do landscaping/planting/gardening, and I always say no because we just do tree work. One of the more common requests is for mulch spreading, and I've stayed away from it mainly because I have no idea how to price it. I always offer them free mulch, and advice on how to deal with it, but many folks just don't want to do it. Anyone have some advice/insight on whether it's worth offering as a service, potential pitfalls and how to price it?

I'm doing a tree job tomorrow, mainly a clearout of weed trees that have built up over the years in a rental. I agreed to lay weed barrier and spread mulch as part of the job and I think I've priced it well but I won't know until the job is done.

Shaun

duh, find out what going rate is in your area and quote accordingly ,
troll

Shaun
Shaun I think the same rate calculation we use for tree work could apply to any landscape related activity as well except doing landscape it would be the man hour rate + materials and/or driving time picking up materials.

Its different depending on where you are but my standard rate is $60-75$ per man hour. I count each machine as a man as well. 5 men +chipper +bobcat at 60$ per man hour = $420/hr. x 10 hrs = $4200.
If we are using a crane I add whatever the going crane rate is per hour..

I do not charge the trucks as men but for landscaping you could...You could also add a material price per cu. mtr. or yard for the mulch.
Storms and Emergency rates are higher...

I'm sure some guys might disagree with me but it seems fair and has always worked well for me in Georgia. Its a good guideline and you can add a little or subtract a little to the total depending on the situation.
In Norway I would up that to $200 per man hour at least.

I do not tell the customer this calculation generally but thats how I figure it....

Look at a job and come up with your best guestimate and then compare it to the formula I mention and I think you'll find its close most of the time....

Latest posts

Back