Aqua stack (does this work?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a basic heat reclaimer. I'm sure it would capture some lost BTu's but I doubt the 50% more efficient claim. Depending on the price, It could be worth a look.

The Original Aqua StackTM $649
The Gatlin Aqua StackTM $529
The Boot Aqua Stack $475

I would try one but I would plumb it into a seperate system to see how well it works.

heat a small 12x16 shed with a simple pump tank and exchanger.

not sure it would work all that well????

The Original Aqua StackTM $649
The Gatlin Aqua StackTM $529
The Boot Aqua Stack $475

I would try one but I would plumb it into a seperate system to see how well it works.

heat a small 12x16 shed with a simple pump tank and exchanger.

not sure it would work all that well????

A heated wood wood shed? :clap:

I don't know about the ice cube method if you are trying to keep the chimney hot for the draft. Thats way some units come with insulated pipe, right? You would get some heat out of the pipe , no dobt. But will it be as hot as your return? I don't think so. $600.00 is alot of gas/mix and bar oil. I'll just burn the wood.

just my thought,
LT...

i thought you wanted your stack temp to be pretty much as high as possible, to reduce creosote. i dont think reducing your stack temp is a good idea. my 2 cents here, nothing more.

I didn't think that stack temp and creosote was a big deal in the little stubs those OWBs have for stacks. Any flue fire is going to be small and burn itself out pretty quick cause the stack itself is so short. A flue fire now and then would give the heat reclaimer a good burst of heat anyway... LOL

Ian

I need to have at least 4' of pipe in order to create enough draft through the fire box, any less than that and it is smoke city and low fire. It looks to me like the stack would hampered by this contraption.:confused: If I think of it tonight I will look at the price my OWB dealer sent me in the mail this past summer.

Maybe it is not such a big deal if you have power draft.

Chris

Edit... I checked the price, no better than listed on the site.

Last edited:
Sounds a bit pricey. I would just go with a Modine heater and plumb it into your OWB for heating a 12x 16 shed.

what I ment was I wanted to see if this thing actually does anything.

hooking it to your return line may be a suggested install but what if it does nothing?? how would you know.

my woodshed with a heat exchanger that is only getting its water from this loop would show what kind of heat it is pulling from a stack.

I have a blower fan so stack draw is not an issue.

still not going to buy one but would be nice to hear from someone with one.

what I ment was I wanted to see if this thing actually does anything.

hooking it to your return line may be a suggested install but what if it does nothing?? how would you know.

my woodshed with a heat exchanger that is only getting its water from this loop would show what kind of heat it is pulling from a stack.

I have a blower fan so stack draw is not an issue.

still not going to buy one but would be nice to hear from someone with one.

Now I got ya !

Ah, after actually reading the FAQ page on their site some of my questions have been answered, but I am still leery of the thing. For me, it seems like a lot of money, I can buy a whole seasons worth of wood (by the log cord anyway) for approximately the price of the "Gatlin".

If it saved even 1/7th of my wood, it would take approx. 7 years to pay me back at my current log cord price. Of course assuming I have to pay for all of my wood every year and the price stayed the same...

My boiler is paying me back a lot faster than that in propane savings.

Does anyone have one of these things or seen one in action?

people thought those box things with the pipes in them that you mount on a flue pipe were a "great idea" at one time too.........

people thought those box things with the pipes in them that you mount on a flue pipe were a "great idea" at one time too.........

I think you are talking about the Magic Heater. They work very well on coal boilers or coal stoves. ( no creosote) but not sure I would use one with a wood burner.

For a mere $650 it sounds to good to be true. yeah right ! ? !

Buy $30 dollars worth of pipe and fittings to drop down the stack. Then plumb that in to the return line. Take the difference to your local saw dealer and buy some bragging rights on a big saw.

I like how they can extrude more BTU's from your OWB. I call BS on them. 30 years experience in the boiler manfacturing could be 20 guys that put together some plans before last Christmas.

I think you are talking about the Magic Heater. They work very well on coal boilers or coal stoves. ( no creosote) but not sure I would use one with a wood burner.

heat reclaimer.....

I have one with about 6 months on it if any one wants it 50 bucks and its yours .
I paid $100 PLUS SHIPPING ONLY to find out it get clogged with cresote and then about every week or so burns off .

Back