Aqua Stat Problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OUBrew

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a brand new unit built by a local guy. I just fired it up this week and have had a few problems but I most concerned about the Aqua stat. I have it set at 180 deg and I have noticed the blower will not turn on when the boiler temp is all the way down to 120 deg. It should hold better than that correct? Do I have a bad Aqua Stat or blower?

I have a brand new unit built by a local guy. I just fired it up this week and have had a few problems but I most concerned about the Aqua stat. I have it set at 180 deg and I have noticed the blower will not turn on when the boiler temp is all the way down to 120 deg. It should hold better than that correct? Do I have a bad Aqua Stat or blower?

Does the aquastat control the blower? Does the blower go on at 180?

Yes....the aquastat is tied directly into the blower. It will turn the blower on but right now I have it set at 200 deg for the boiler temp to only get up to 170 deg or so. The temps really fluctuate. Shouldnt it be a little more consistent? I can see a 10 deg swing but 40 deg seems off to me?

Yes....the aquastat is tied directly into the blower. It will turn the blower on but right now I have it set at 200 deg for the boiler temp to only get up to 170 deg or so. The temps really fluctuate. Shouldnt it be a little more consistent? I can see a 10 deg swing but 40 deg seems off to me?

OUBrew,
Please understand that by asking more questions I'm trying to understand your system.

I understand you have an aquastat that controls the blower, but does it also control a circ. pump?

Does having the aquastat set at 200 keep the boiler temp down to 170?

In your opinion, should the blower to be working at 120?

Yes...my thought was the blower would kick on any time the boiler water temp went below the set point of the aquastat. The aquastat is not wired to the TACO 0014. I have that pump wired to run continous directly tied into my service panel.

The aquastat is on the front of the unit directly above the boiler tant temp gauge. It is wired to the blower unit attached to the door.

Is there anything else that could be affecting the variation of boiler tank water temp?

Depending on type, aquastat should eiether have a 10 deg. differential, or it could be adjustable. Is there a little wheel inside of the control, or screwdriver adjustment separate from the main adjustment? what type of aquastat?:cheers:

Wouldn't hurt to make sure you have heat conducting compound in the well where the aquastat bulb is inserted. Although this isn't a huge deal it will cause a lag in temperature change sensed by the stat.

Good point chukk...Honeywell supplies a 'lil sack of conductive grease with a replacement 'stat, dunno what the factory does....

:confused: :confused:

Have you arrived at an answer?

I would like to know if you determined it was an aquastat problem and if so how did you fix it?

Good Luck!

Problems with my Aquastat also

My Honeywell L4006A 1017 will not break on rise. I have to manually adjust now and it will kick the blowers on at 180 now instead of off. I have to then turn it back to 160 to shut them off. I done some wiring and may have switched something, but I don't think thats possible to make it to reverse the on at 160 off at 180 that has worked for two years to now, on at 180 off at 160???

Last edited:
Something's definitely wrong here...the 1017 breaks on temp. rise, contacts make on high limit setting minus differential, which on this modal should be adjustable from 5-30 deg. Maybe I missed it...you do have this in a well, right? The L4006H/L600C models have a remote bulb. Take a look at hte specs at:

www.customer/honeywell.com.

If you go into the main website, you will pull your hair out figuring how to get to control specs!

it's wired wrong....should have 3 terminals....1 common...1 on rise...1 on fall....turn the power off and check it with a ohm meter....

I have the same stat,there are 3 holes,but one of them is not used,no threads or anything.I checked it with my meter.

My Honeywell L4006A 1017 will not break on rise. I have to manually adjust now and it will kick the blowers on at 180 now instead of off. I have to then turn it back to 160 to shut them off. I done some wiring and may have switched something, but I don't think thats possible to make it to reverse the on at 160 off at 180 that has worked for two years to now, on at 180 off at 160???

What kinda wiring did you do?We might be able to backtrack it and figure this out.

Back