Are all of these modded saws reliable, dependable, and will they last?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm hearing ya. No matter how much compressed air i use blowing the dust etc off my clothes my undies still seem to be able to store a few pounds of stealthy woodchips. Not game enough yet to stick 120psi down the front of my jocks. Might end up with something resembling a snake that's eaten half a dozen ostrich eggs and there ain't no doctor gonna lance that...

pmsl !

Sheesh, you make me type it right out........

PMSL = pi$$ing my self laughing

my bladder control isn't what it used to be........

I thought maybe it meant "Pre Menstrual Stress Laughing" but then it dawned on me that absolutely no man dare laugh during such times...

The only tree service saws that I know of that are modified are the owner's saws. Tree service employees are typical short timers that divide their time between work and (for the Mexicans) Mexico or (for the white guys) jail. Their saws are mostly mid-grade StihlHusqvarna models (except almost all the climbing saws are Stihl MS200T).

Professional fallers' saws are quite different, many, if not most are modified. Most run square ground chain, mainly Oregon CJ. Max Flow air filters are very common. All are 3/4 or full wrap models.

Very few tree service guys know anything about chainsaws while fallers know alot about saws. Ask a typical tree service guys what gas or mix oil or bar oil they are supplied with and they will likely show you a generic gas can or oil jug and say "thees stuff". (Very few speak English.) They will not know what kind of chain they are runnning. They will file it all between 60 and 10 degrees. Most will work hard and send as much money as they can back to Mexico.

I don’t know many fellers but I do know a few land clearers. Most of their saws are diesels and run on hydraulics. On the rare occasion that they leave the cab, I doubt they reach for a modified saw but I will ask.
Maybe I should expand my horizons a little. Learn to speak Spanish, start filing square, move to Oregon, start cooking crystal meth. Oh the good life.

It wasn't a dodge Cent, but sarcasm.

Do what you ask of others. Your not exempt here. You ask for data, present your own.

You seem to be on your own going by the responses in this thread so far.

I don’t have any data on modified saws cuz I don’t run em. While first hand experience is best, I am not about to spend a boat load of money to devalue my fleet for what I see as no monetary gain. I would think folks that boast about how “efficient and effective” mod saws are would have something a little more concrete to offer.

This is a forum, not romper room. If well all agree about a given subject there is little to discuss.

I don’t know many fellers but I do know a few land clearers. Most of their saws are diesels and run on hydraulics. On the rare occasion that they leave the cab, I doubt they reach for a modified saw but I will ask.
Maybe I should expand my horizons a little. Learn to speak Spanish, start filing square, move to Oregon, start cooking crystal meth. Oh the good life.

Try Medford.

You shouldn't generalise with comments like "your operation". There are many different professional use scenarios involving chainsaws far different to what you're used to.

You need to get out more. I'd bet my left nut that nobody around you uses modified saws because nobody around you has had the chance to. Guys like Simon, Tree Sling'r, Brad, Eric Copsey etc etc make money selling modified saws to professional users.

If I could scan about 50 pages of my notebook where I've logged over 8,000 trees comparing the same saw stock to modified you'd get a surprise. The numbers of trees per hour I felled went up around 20%. If you're not familiar with the work I do it is simple felling/dropping with some limbing at ground level. Anywhere up to 130 trees an hour on 18" or less or 520 odd trees a day ranging from 12" to 42" diameter. Over 8,000 odd trees my average felling speed was 37.5 trees per hour. Up from around 33 trees per hour with a stock saw to high 30's/low 40's with a modded saw of the same model. The speed increase came on the larger trees where the modified saw pulled a 32" bar with full comp WAY faster than a stock saw could pull the same bar with skip.
Most loggers and tree crews I've met still get their saws serviced by the local dealer, even down to simple things like changing a rim sprocket. Not the sort of IQ level that I'd think would even know what a modified saw was.
The other thing not mentioned here is weight and balance vs. power - why would you run for instance a stock 660 when a modified 460 will outcut it and prove just as reliable in a work scenario? How many loggers ever actually wear a saw out instead of just wrecking it?

I hold absolutely nothing against operators running stock saws, in fact I actually enjoy running the odd stock saw like my 200T (they don't run like a stock saw!). What may make you laugh is that 2 years ago or thereabouts I was against modified saws too. Then I bought one (with some hesitation but had some spare cash) and started running it in a paid situation. I don't like to call myself a pro, as that is putting tickets on myself and many people that call themselves "pros" are far from it, however I am paid to fell trees, both domestic and commercial, so some would call me a pro although I am not comfortable with that term.

No hard feelings with what I've said mate, it's just that I think you need to broaden your thoughts. For a pro logger felling, for example, 10-20 large, high value trees a day then I can't see the point of a modified saw, but there are situations where a faster, modified saw will pay for itself many times over. Mine was one of them and it is still ongoing.

Well thats something. The 200t is a great little saw. I think we have had this conversation before and we both agree that veggemite is good food.

I don’t have any data on modified saws cuz I don’t run em. While first hand experience is best, I am not about to spend a boat load of money to devalue my fleet for what I see as no monetary gain. I would think folks that boast about how “efficient and effective” mod saws are would have something a little more concrete to offer.

This is a forum, not romper room. If well all agree about a given subject there is little to discuss.

Buzzkill, try pouring the piss outta your Cherrios tomorrow.

I am not following you here?? Must be the lingo. Are you trying to say it’s a wicked pissah??

Sorry the West Coast lingo confused you. Appearently there are many things you do not understand. Did I type slow enough for you?

These forums seem to get more lively later in the night, I wonder if a few drinks help to lubricate the various discussions.

Wait until you have hung a big inch saw over the side of a log, the size of a bus and was happy someone dug up a few extra beans for it.
Those extra minutes saved really add up in a hurry.

I have a video I have shown here where my ported 385xp is slicing through 32" wood at nearly twice the rate it did while stock, and that 385 was fairly strong stock. A ported saw allows you to run a longer bar per chassis size than non-ported, and simply pulls the chain more aggressively through the wood, especially big wood with the 70-90cc saws. It is everything a pro or even a casual user can easily appreciate in any decent-sized piece of wood. The last time a bud of mine was watching me box some Fir that was ~30" in size with my ported 385xp, he literally said "That thing cuts through that Fir like butter". And it did, and he owns about 20 saws, so knows what saws can and should do stock. I have also posted a video for all to see where a ported 372xp is absolutely burying a non ported 76cc Stihl saw - cutting more than twice as fast.

Porting makes it far easier to box large tensioned/compressed wood, fall it, buck it, etc. It's not a small difference, not at all.

As for longevity, I can't say yet myself. There is the argument of efficiency, heat, wear, etc. I have taken a few physics and engineering courses in college, but I am no engineer. However, one thing we did learn is wear is wear. If something turns faster, harder, longer, it wears more, all things being equal. Yes, it may get more work done, but it will not last as long. But, all things are rarely equal...

I did ask a few guys whom I knew had owned these types of saws for several years how theirs were doing before I decided to put one of mine up to port. I also asked a few professionals I knew in person and on the internet what their feelings were. The answers I got lead me to porting my 385xp. For a 16lb powerhead, this ported 385XP has no business doing what it can do. And that is a good thing.

These forums seem to get more lively later in the night, I wonder if a few drinks help to lubricate the various discussions.

Naa, it's just the time of day the crazy Aussies and US expats are on, aided and abetted by a few like minded insomniac <s>nutters</S> individuals from across the seas.

[edit] I recant some of that, mousecalculator is obviously on the turps tonight, he's making Matt look coherent.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back