Are all of these modded saws reliable, dependable, and will they last?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you need to find someone to tutor your filing.

A muffler mod is good for around 10% from what I've done. A good sharp chain is good for another 10% over out of the box oregon. That right there will get you cutting at a more productive rate.

A properly sharpened chain go's without saying and good cutting techniques!

Why is it that some think that modifying and a sharp chain are not related?

Simple, most pros that know how to sharpen a chain and run a chainsaw don’t ask about modifying chainsaws. Take your pick of insurance regs, workmans comp, liability etc.

You get desperate enough to start asking about modified saw, you got problems. Rate limiting step in any production operation I have worked has never been speed at which the saw cuts the wood. If it is in your operation or you need a modified saw to make up slack, you all need some serious help.

Simple, most pros that know how to sharpen a chain and run a chainsaw don’t ask about modifying chainsaws. Take your pick of insurance regs, workmans comp, liability etc.

You get desperate enough to start asking about modified saw, you got problems. Rate limiting step in any production operation I have worked has never been speed at which the saw cuts the wood. If it is in your operation or you need a modified saw to make up slack, you all need some serious help.

That's not very nice Cent!

Oh ok, I'm sure I read once or twice somewhere a logger or two have run modified saws! Maybe they are the ones who don't know how to sharpen a chain!

To the OP, it would be hard to pick the life difference between a properly performed mild woods port against a stock saw. There are variables as to the extent of the work and the quality.

Ermm.. out here, let's just say that modded saws are not uncommon. Let's add that we have quite a few trees. Let's further elaborate that the timber market is anything but stable, and that contracts are competitive.

En Fin: If you have to ask, you don't understand.

Oh ok, I'm sure I read once or twice somewhere a logger or two have run modified saws! Maybe they are the ones who don't know how to sharpen a chain!

To the OP, it would be hard to pick the life difference between a properly performed mild woods port against a stock saw. There are variables as to the extent of the work and the quality.

Cute dodge, but do you know of any pro loggers/tree pros than know how to sharpen a chain, run a chainsaw and still choose to run a modified a saw?? I can count all I know on no hands and I work in the industry. Mods are for homeowners and cookie cutters. Pros?? Please, don’t kid yourself.

well ,im PRO LOGGER own my own company ,would bet money i can sharpen better than you, can run a chainsaw as good as anyone around the bussiness and yep i choose to run ported saws. evidently youve never had the good sense to try a ported saw

Sounds like you need to find someone to tutor your filing.

A muffler mod is good for around 10% from what I've done. A good sharp chain is good for another 10% over out of the box oregon. That right there will get you cutting at a more productive rate.

LOL.....I need someone to show me period. The only guys I know who sharpen their own are using electric sharpeners if that tells you anything. I'd rather know how to hand sharpen myself. I would imagine a chain would last a lot longer too vs. an electric sharpener.

Thanks Aussie.......I think you guys got me squared away on it. I think I'm just gonna roll with a muffler mod until the warranty is up on my 346. I was trying to educate myself a bit more because I wanna pick up a 60-70cc saw to compliment the 346. I just didn't know which mods I might potentially do at some point that might influence my choice of saw. Thanks again.

Last edited:
well ,im PRO LOGGER own my own company ,would bet money i can sharpen better than you, can run a chainsaw as good as anyone around the bussiness and yep i choose to run ported saws. evidently youve never had the good sense to try a ported saw

No doubt on the chain. Everyting down south is way better. I own a ported saw but I don’t think running it is a rate gaining step in my industry. How much profit do you estimate you gain (vs the cost of porting and decrease in production life of your saw) from the modified saws?? Does your insurance company know you modify saws for your employees? How many employees and modified saws do you run vs non-modified saws ?? You kinda need to run both to make a comparison. What do your employees think about your saws and the fact that they are modified??

I believe that a modded saw will last longer if the work is done right. The air flowing through the motor provides cooling, the better the flow the better the cooling. Opened up mufflers get rid of heat. but, there is a point where things start to go the other way and the life of the saw is shortened.........

all my saws are ported and i can tell you for certain that they put more wood on the ground ,limb faster,buck faster and are just as reliable as un modified saws. i dont recall a questionaire on my insurance asking about stock or modified saws. its stupid high period becouse of hand felling. there are no specs on what my saws have to be or not be. the guys that work for me or have worked for me want ported saws after running them for a while. they are addictive. when they make your job go faster and easier ,why not use them? guys that have fell timber for me in the past still come to me for saw modding even tho they work somewhere else.

I'm 63 and have a bad back. I like the fact I can pick up and use my lightweight saw (10.8 lb powerhead and narrow kerf laminated bars) and have it cut like a 60cc saw. If I ever wear it out, I will port another lightweight saw to do the same work.

I agree on above comments on the chain sharpening. I now consider stock chains out of the box as inferior. I always put a proper edge on new chains before using them. Spend some time learning the art of chain sharpening and you will come to the same conclusion about stock chains.

Of the several tree services I have been around, I wouldn't rate their knowledge of chainsaws as much better than the typical farmer around here. The same can be said for the Husky and Stihl dealers. They know how to take them out of the box, fuel them up, put the chain on, and crank them. Beyond that, they can change parts if you have a problem, but they aren't much good at diagnosing problems if it is more than a fuel line that has rotted.

all my saws are ported and i can tell you for certain that they put more wood on the ground ,limb faster,buck faster and are just as reliable as un modified saws. i dont recall a questionaire on my insurance asking about stock or modified saws. its stupid high period becouse of hand felling. there are no specs on what my saws have to be or not be. the guys that work for me or have worked for me want ported saws after running them for a while. they are addictive. when they make your job go faster and easier ,why not use them? guys that have fell timber for me in the past still come to me for saw modding even tho they work somewhere else.

OK, don’t look now but you did not answer the question fully. Your answer concerning modified saws is speculative at best and you have given no cost vs. profit data. Yup, them saws go like stink and everybody loves em, is great for the homeowner but businesses work in real numbers. Any other pros have some real data to work on??

Of the several tree services I have been around, I wouldn't rate their knowledge of chainsaws as much better than the typical farmer around here. The same can be said for the Husky and Stihl dealers. They know how to take them out of the box, fuel them up, put the chain on, and crank them. Beyond that, they can change parts if you have a problem, but they aren't much good at diagnosing problems if it is more than a fuel line that has rotted.

Ouch, If a tree biz don’t know saws, who does in the USA today?? Arboristsite??

To the O.P. All my saws are modded and have had no issues with them being finicky in any way, or tough to tune. A modded saw tends to run richer when set to the factory rpm spec, so you have to kinda find the rpm that your saw wants to run on the top end. Not tough to do though. Lots of carb tuning threads on here. My saws that I've raised the compression on start easier hot than they did whan they were stock. Basically, if you can tune a stock saw properly then a modded saw should not be a problem for you. Good luck

To the O.P. All my saws are modded and have had no issues with them being finicky in any way, or tough to tune. A modded saw tends to run richer when set to the factory rpm spec, so you have to kinda find the rpm that your saw wants to run on the top end. Not tough to do though. Lots of carb tuning threads on here. My saws that I've raised the compression on start easier hot than they did whan they were stock. Basically, if you can tune a stock saw properly then a modded saw should not be a problem for you. Good luck

Thanks 2stroked..........that's the kinda feedback I was looking for.

Ouch, If a tree biz don’t know saws, who does in the USA today?? Arboristsite??

The only tree service saws that I know of that are modified are the owner's saws. Tree service employees are typical short timers that divide their time between work and (for the Mexicans) Mexico or (for the white guys) jail. Their saws are mostly mid-grade StihlHusqvarna models (except almost all the climbing saws are Stihl MS200T).

Professional fallers' saws are quite different, many, if not most are modified. Most run square ground chain, mainly Oregon CJ. Max Flow air filters are very common. All are 3/4 or full wrap models.

Very few tree service guys know anything about chainsaws while fallers know alot about saws. Ask a typical tree service guys what gas or mix oil or bar oil they are supplied with and they will likely show you a generic gas can or oil jug and say "thees stuff". (Very few speak English.) They will not know what kind of chain they are runnning. They will file it all between 60 and 10 degrees. Most will work hard and send as much money as they can back to Mexico.

Latest posts

Back