Are California saws different?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bear with me here but when I bought my first saw (about 14 years ago) from a Stihl dealer in Northern California he asked me where I was cutting and I replied at home which was up in the mountains. He told me good because the saw was tuned for high altitudes. I gave him a one eye brow up look and walked out the door. I didn't believe him then and don't know I just think he was trying to act smart because we were only at 1300 ft. elevation.
Anyways when I moved back to Michigan it cut just fine at "low" elevations as it did in the cancer state. Just thought I would share.
The little town (if you can call it that) was named Forest Ranch. It was East of Chico about 20 minutes up the hill. Big trees, bears and once in a while a snowflake!

Just don't move here. We are not friendly and landslides have happened this week, along with a bit of flooding. We are expecting a Japanese sized earthquake sometime.

Nope, stay east of the Rockies. That's the best place to live.

I heard chainsaws are half the size and cost 10 times as much in california....seriously though, I don' tknow of any differences in the EPA requirements for saws sold in california. They might have to have one of those fancy cancer causing labels on them though.

I heard chainsaws are half the size and cost 10 times as much in california....seriously though, I don' tknow of any differences in the EPA requirements for saws sold in california. They might have to have one of those fancy cancer causing labels on them though.

LOL...our saws are heavier because of all the labels.

I wonder if you need a license to run a chainsaw in California ?

They could tax it and ..... tax it....and outlaw all of them and tax it once more. :rock:

It's horrible isn't it ?

Give it time ......
You think we're going to let you run around with Chain Saws ! There otta be a law !

Were only thinking of public safety. And you need a yearly inspection too.

Just wait .....:msp_scared:

Ok good then there's still hope ! You haven't drunk the koolaid yet ! :rock:

Koolaid? You mean Sangria. It's California. Nah, I lived here once before. Never again. I am only here for the 3 months it takes to set up shop for a contract in Mendocino, and then I am off to one in Washington(which itself is kind of nutty, too for this Texan). Lot's of nuts on the west coast.

V8sjZ.jpg

Yup..... we got our share here on the east coast too.

It's all part of a giant plan, a race to the bottom !:msp_scared:

Eric,

I was going to say that CA saws are mostly blonde and look better in bikinis, but I thought you asked a good question and held back. Then these other guys chimed in.

Maybe you can contact the regional STIHL distributor and ask:

Pacific STIHL
9860 Ferguson Ave
Suite A
Visalia, CA 93291
Telephone: 559-651-1890

Make it sound like you want the CA saws to be more environmentally friendly, so that they don't feel the need to hide anything. They also distribute to Nevada and Arizona, so they would know.

Then get back to us with what you find!

Philbert

Thanks. Wehn I have some time this week I'll give them a call. I'll try asking if the CA model saws are "cleaner" or give off less "fumes and smoke" than those sold in other states. If they say yes and can articulate what the differences are I will probably believe them. But if their answer is an unqualified no, then I won't know if that's the truth or that person just isn't informed.

There seemed to be people on here that worked for dealers/distributors and I thought one of them might know for sure.

I was astonished to find that most public buildings here seem to have warnings regarding cancer. It all seems to silly. I have some friends here since I went to HS and University in Cali. I tend to live outside of the state if I can help it. My permanent residence is Texas for tax purposes(and I consider it my home when stateside). Still, in the last 5 years I have only spent 1 in Texas, nearly 3 in Europe, the rest in Washington and Oregon.

My permanent residence (taxes, voting, etc.) is in PA but I have house in MS. I'm just in CA for work. Washington was nice but I was only there for about a week. Texas seems to be a good state and there are a lot of things about it I like but it's too far south for me to live permanently.

Just don't move here. We are not friendly and landslides have happened this week, along with a bit of flooding. We are expecting a Japanese sized earthquake sometime.

Nope, stay east of the Rockies. That's the best place to live.

I've lived in several states all over the country and while every area has their benefits the only thing Southern CA really seems to have going for it is the weather. But even then I still miss the snow. I'm not familiar with Northern California but from what I hear the people are even nuttier up there.

Thanks, I didn't know if they might have different CARB compliant models.

LOL...our saws are heavier because of all the labels.

I usually remove all the lawyer labels on new tools I get. If you don't know you can get shocked/flashed from an arc welder/plasma cutter, that an air compressor gets hot, that rotating parts can pinch fingers, or that you can get cut with a chainsaw you probably should be using one. But then those are the people who wouldn't read the label anyway.

Koolaid? You mean Sangria. It's California. Nah, I lived here once before. Never again. I am only here for the 3 months it takes to set up shop for a contract in Mendocino, and then I am off to one in Washington(which itself is kind of nutty, too for this Texan). Lot's of nuts on the west coast.

I have a good friend who has lived in CA since junior high and he is the first to say California is the land of fruits and nuts -- and he's not referring to the produce.

I have a project coming up this summer back in Mississippi and am going to get a new MS 201T for it. I could wait till I get back there to pick it up but now that I've decided I am definitely going to get it I really don't want to wait that long. If CA saws are the same I might get one here to run for a while before I go back. If CA saws are different I could also pick one up in Nevada as I travel through there somewhat regularly too.

-Eric

I called Pacific Stihl, the distributor for California, Guam, Hawaii, Nevada, Arizona, to ask about any potential differences with the CA model saws. The lady I spoke with explained that there are no mechanical differences between the CA models and the rest of the country. The only differences have to do with testing and certification.

Since this testing is an additional cost and is something only required by CARB, only the saws distributed in CA undergo this additional testing. She seemed very familiar with what I was asking about and I got the impression that she was fairly knowledgeable. We didn't talk long but she did say that all the parts and part numbers are identical for the CA saws as those sold in the rest of the country.

So I guess the answer is that CA saws are only different in the paperwork but are mechanically the same.

-Eric

Yup..... we got our share of nuts here on the east coast too.
Most of our "nuts" are in Washington D.C...!!!

Here in the South..we got tons of "squirrels"..!!

I wish the "squirrels" here would go eat all the "nuts" in Washington D.C...!!!!
(and NO storing the nuts for winter..!!)
:cheers:
J2F

Latest posts

Back