are petzle vertex helmets worth tha price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voxac30dude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
are petz vertex helmets worth the price?

i have gone through 2 helmets in the past 4 years and want one that isn't built cheaply and is breathable and light. how many of you use the vertex? how do you like it?

Last edited:
Those things are ridiculous. No brim , no good. Mike Myers kid in the helmet skit from snl. Thats all I can think of when I see those. Guy I worked with swore by his untill a dead branch shook loose in a red oak. Thing saved his noggin, but looked like he slept with a wolvarine cuz no brim. Something that simple coulda saved him a lotta scraches. Lucky he didnt lose an eye.

Vertx and similar helmets are intended for climbing and rescue work where a bill or visor would hang up on stuff. Could be a good choice if that is what you do.

Full brim helmets are used in the PNW due to the constant rain.

Front bill helmets (like STIHL, Husqvarna, Peltor, etc.) fit in between.

Not sure why yours are breaking, but they do have a life. $25 ($50 helmet/2 years) a year might not be a bad fee to pay if you use yours full time and have not been hurt. They all can break over time. Some people in the safety industry suggest replacing normal hardhats after about 5 years of regular use, even if no visible signs of damage are observed.

Are they breaking in storage (getting beat around in the back of a truck or trailer) or in use?

On most of the name brand helmet systems you can get replacement parts if only one piece breaks (visor, suspension, ear muff, etc.) and you don't want to replace the whole thing. If you have a couple of helmets that are the same brand, you can share/cannibalize parts.

MSA also sells a component system that is available from Grainger (http://www.msanorthamerica.com/catalog/product503459.html). This is more of an 'industrial grade', but might be slightly heavier.

If you are looking at a Petzl system you are not afraid of spending the money on a good product. Make sure that you get something comfortable and that you like wearing.

Philbert

I'm on my 4th one. I think they were 49 bucks when I bought my first one. I broke the adjuster on one. Small drop on the garage floor and the pieces went flying. That was one of the Husqvarna give-away helmets. It seemed to be a little different than the others. The other two simply stink like horse pea. I soak them all the time and I've tried many different soaps but I just can't get rid of the smell nor can I stand the smell on a hot summer day so they go up on my wall of shame. So far I've been able to find them a little cheaper on ebay. There's no way I'm going to pay over $100 for a Vertex. When I stink this one up I'll probably switch to something else.
Phil

Short answer, yes. Long answer, they are worth the money because they give you much better sight lines within the tree, don't fall off when you are throwing a throwball, nor will they fall off if you swing, hit your head and then do something else. Not to mention, you don't look like a common construction worker.

I rock the Petzl vertex: awesome in the summer: pretty good in the winter. Wish it had a brim (visor). My last helmet was Kevlar with a brim, but it was brutally hot. Remember this: If you have a $5 head, buy a $5 helmet.

I have the vertex and love it.....it has a side impact rating....so if you swing into something. I had a skid loader bucket wack me in the side of the head.......vertex probaly saved my life.....so I'm on my second one...I have a few w/ brims and they seem to catch on stuff in the canopy plus you have to lean your head back further to look up.

I like mine. As stated above in the tree the brim less feature gives you a bit more visibility, but there are days I wish it had a brim. If I am doing ground work I may switch over to a regular helmet, and I have a full brim floating around for those down poor days.

I have been climbing in a vertex vent for a few years now with the earmuff and flip down mesh facescreen. Although a visor would be nice they are a great lid. Light, vented, comfortable and you know petzl has done a ton of testing to make sure they do there job.

I have the vertex and love it it is comfortable and light you forget you have it on. I used to do welding and had to wear hard hats on job sights, our company was always getting fines from osha cause guys wernt wearing hard hats they were so uncomfortable, and always falling off.

thanks i guess my next helmet will be a vertex vent. now to choose a color. what is the most popular color?

I think you can drop that garbage from your sig. now SOM.

Seems like your work is done there.

I'll be looking forward to years of regurgitated posts from you now. :)

I have been climbing in a vertex vent for a few years now with the earmuff and flip down mesh facescreen. Although a visor would be nice they are a great lid. Light, vented, comfortable and you know petzl has done a ton of testing to make sure they do there job.

I agree. I think they would be the perfect hardhat if they had a visor.

I think you can drop that garbage from your sig. now SOM.

Seems like your work is done there.

I'll be looking forward to years of regurgitated posts from you now. :)

Regurgitated kinda like your doing right now... get your own material man.

tree MDS said:
I agree. I think they would be the perfect hardhat if they had a visor.
What do you guys think about the Pacific helmet?

attachment.php

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Helmets/Wide-Brim-Helmet_2

Philbert

Last edited:
Back