Are you a true diehard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I need a reason to run my saws. If I had unlimited cash I'd just have neater burning devices, neater stuff to process it and own many acres of trees.

I agree ,wood is the best.Sitting around a gas \ oil \electric heater is about as exciting as watching a microwave oven.I sell wood to folks that can afford to burn any type of fuel,they use wood for the ambience,heat value,and the look' .The eco folk burn wood cos it,s carbon neutral'. I would have 10,000 acres of hardwood forest if I could afford it.:chainsawguy:

Wood is in my blood. Growing up we had a Woodchuck IWB that would only hold about 6hrs worth of wood. By the time I was 7 it was my job to get up in the middle of the night to "fire up". Now that I am grown and with a son of my own, I am looking for ways to teach him that kind of responsibility. Though we don't burn wood for heat, I do have a source that allows me to process and sell about 10 cord per year. My son helps me at every chance he gets, makes me proud. Not really "hardcore", but a hood reason to get into it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Hmmm, if I'm rolling in it, and I'm being completly honest with myself, I'd probably have a gas fired boiler and a wood fireplace insert for ambiance and for if the SHF (Sheet Hits the Fan) Just keep a cord or two around for the insert.

BTW, I was at a buddys house last night, he has all electric house. He lives on a heavily wooded 5 acre lot, and his house has a floor plan that would lend itself well to being heated from the FP. I was trying to talk him into throwing an insert in his fireplace, he says "Nah, I don't like messin with wood" I'm thinking, fine, just keep complainin 'bout your $800 mo. electric bills then! Guess I need to keep my trap shut since he calls me to haul off his downed trees every spring! :D

Yes, mostlikely I'd keep on keepin on. It's not some loosely-attached veneer. Fossil fuels are finite; the faster we extract them, the faster they're gone. While they're still in the ground, the climate benefits. Sorry, Sarah.

I've enough in hand for many years (too many to estimate accurately) so there's no pressure at all there. I can be very selective, and leave many rounds slowly dry out in the woods. The wood that's cut/split/stacked locally sees better returns than any bank account, and I like the decor. (Mostly out of view of neighbors.)

Running saws in the woods is the big attraction. Volunteer cutting after Sandy provided a major series of exercise sessions. It still does. Excellent physical therapy, and you have tangible results. Love the song of a happy 2-stroke in the morning, and the gentle scent of hot oil when you lift off.

A gallon of mix covers lots of running time with "strato" saws- great stuff.

Between fuel, equipment, etc, I doubt I'm saving money, but like to think I am :biggrin:.
Totally agree with you though, just love to go cutting.[/QUOTE]

Ditto

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'm a diehard. I'd rather burn my wood than pay the gas man.

There's just something primal about using fire to keep the family warm on the cold days and nights.

I love looking through the glass on the stove and watching the fire dance.

I dont burn wood in my house for heat. Yet I still find myself out in the woods with a friend of mine with at least 4 saws. I think I just like to cut. 9 out of 10 nights during the summer and many many nights during the winter you can find me out back of my house with a fire going and maybe a beer or two. :msp_biggrin:

I am a diehard, the wife and enjoy getting out to the mountains and cutting wood. It's kinda like elk hunting. It would be far easier and cheaper to buy a side of beef, or even meat at the supermarket. We sure do like campin' out of our tent and enjoying the outdoors, and we relish the hard work of quartering, skinning, and hanging up the meat in camp.

GOT WOOD?
That sums it up for me:rock:
If I were rich and could retire.... I'd have a cadillac firewood operation with a couple livers on ice next to the beer cooler and bar and chain oil :kilt::cheers:

Last edited:
I would still heat with wood. Just on a larger scale. OWB to heat the mansion the size I could put stumps in with my bulldozer. And a nice see through stove with stone surround for the living areas and bedrooms.

As it is though money does matter and it saves me a good bit of it even with saw purchases and basic forrestry and safety tools. Even the wife sees that.

I feel like it's much greener than the other options, more frugal. Don't spend the money if you don't have to. Where I live you can't drive without looking out in the woods at all the free heating going to waste so don't see it running out anytime soon. I love the work out in the woods and I am the guy that gets a big fat grin on my face as I go WOT and sink into buck the biggest log I've done yet. The felling, bucking, sweating and hard work. Keeps me in shape and really bumps up the testosterone levels which the wife really loves:msp_wink:

I love knowing if the power grid goes down then we will still be warm and be able to cook. It's also nice to teach my son these lessons and have quality time with him out in the woods and pastures.

To basically agree with everyone else; I would go primarily wood, cut and process my own wood, and plant a tree nursery to grow more future wood to use for whatever; be it shade, milling, timber, and of course more firewood.

Life would be great. Can slow down and actually appreciate things a lot more than now.

One more thing, while we're all dreaming. I think I'd buy more acreage somewhere, maybe a piece with a bit of a cabin and some water. Good hunting land? I don't know whether heating with wood has made me want to explore other areas where I can be more self-sufficient, or being that way is what drove me to heat with wood, but they do seem to go together don't they?

Not sure if I'm a diehard or just a cheap ###

It dont matter how much money I have,$450 a month for propane is way to much...

Latest posts

Back