Are you stashing a few saws while you can??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they should make electric saws and you just change batteries instead of more gas LOL

Ben, that's good to know. Would my Stratocharged Redmax equipment count as what you are referring to, or is that just the beginning of the newer, cleaner 2 cycle? Are we going to see new metallurgy or even ceramic cylinder components, super syn lubes, engineered fuel etc, in addition to fresh air charging?

For now, my regular mechanics are both convinced that there is some technological bridging, or band-aiding, going on. Late '80s to mid '90s engine designs, which effectively met parameters of high power & low weight first and emissions last, are now being set too hot and too lean. In some cases, service life is being sacrificed. In most cases, the engines are now much less forgiving in terms of mix, lube quality, overheat conditions, etc.

Something must always be compromised. The question is are we getting more than we're giving up? I would think that if they must put catalytic converters on saws they'll need to do more performance work on the cylinders/carbs to make the power. Then when guys like me throw the catalytic in the trash and open up the muffler they'll really scream. Then again the new saws may plain stink and all my rambling is just wishful thinking.

xander9727 said:
Even if the power and reliability go down it is only for a short period of time. In the 70s we saw the end of the muscle cars. Everyone in the 80s figured they'd never see cars as fast again. Today there are a multitude of cars that will out accelerate, handle, brake and exceed the top speed of any car previously built. Engineers through technology will find ways to increase performance and meet the emission standards.
this has proven itself true with diesel engines, Holy smokes they scream these days, I fished on a boat that had 2 500hp Mann deisels and that was insane, My F-250 with some minor tweaking pushes one into the seat getting on the Interstate. :blob5:

The future is allways a little uncertain. I think I have accumulated enough parts saws to last me a lifetime but...everytime i see a box of parts at a flee market or traders fair, and they are orange and white......I stihl have to pick them up!

Latest posts

Back