Ascending Question. Getting a new set up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan51

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Advanced climbing techniques | Prusik hitch with slack tender I want to do something like this. Right now I just use a prusik to climb, and got a little bit of a tip yesterday, so I decided to upgrade.
I ordered this Petzl TIBLOC Ascender | eBay
and this
PETZL FIXE CLIMBING ARBORIST PULLEY FIXED SIDE 2010 | eBay
I already have a spliced eye climbing rope, and at least 3 different sized prusiks. But I am curious, does anyone else use this system? It looks like it would work quite well

Nope. I remember the days when, if you could not foot lock 30' (no prussic back then), or set your climb line into a crotch, you were not hired. Anyway, sorry for the de-rail.
Jeff

I used a prussic once while in the top of a black walnut, not on purpose. Was supposed to be a taughtline. Let me tell ya, the prussic doesnt really hold. I do see this set up sometimes, I dont see the downside but you should learn the basics too.

LOL!!!
I love my Hitch Hiker and am really looking forward to Petzl's Zigzag!

Yeah I want to get a zigzag when they come out as well as the new pantins when they come out. Have had mine for 4 years and still works great, but the new ones supposed to be a bit sleeker and better rope movement through it.

I climb with a prussic and a hitch climber pulley every day almost and love it. I use the Vt witch can be a touchy knot, but when dialed in works great, I'd trust it with my life.(wait I do)
Using a split tail or a closed system(prussic)is a matter of personal preference, but not using a pulley to advance your knot is crazy. It makes climbing so much easyer after you get use to it.
I hear the tibloc is hard on ropes and will cause them to fray. Suppose to be more for an emergency back up asender I think.
Another plus side to using a prussic is you can use a rope wrench. The whole system is so much better with a hitch climber pully, let me tell you.
Anyone know if the Hitch hiker or zigzag can be used with a pulley to advance it?

I've used tibloc's, and they're not great. They're ok as a backup ascender in a self rescue situation or for occasional use (which is what they were intended for!) but they aren't made to be used in the way shown in the original link. They need to be set carefully, otherwise they can strip your rope, much like any toothed ascender but a little worse since they don't cam. I don't know what the story is with that big pulley either.

You might try this;

[video=youtube;Y-QFhVgWNRM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-QFhVgWNRM[/video]

Which is what I often use. It works best if you set a pulley up top from the ground. It works even better if you set a ratchetting pulley from the ground which is what I use. The pulley free wheels in the 'up' direction, but locks in the down direction creating friction since the sheaves are not smooth. For big ascents, SRT still rules. For reference, I've tried and owned most types of ascending gear, SRT, rope wrench, rope walkers, frog systems, hitch climber and every type of hitch etc etc....

Horses for courses, to be honest, most days I just use 8mm beeline klemheist. If it's a big tree I'll break out some other gear. Most times it just isn't worth it. Unless it's a real spready complex tree with a lot of up and down rope work it just isn't worth setting up a fancy system. I can crank out the tree in the same or less time with a basic setup. I carry the 'zing it prusik and shackle' on my harness since it weighs nothing, and i do use it with a foot ascender pretty often on prunes, but it has an install time of only a few seconds.

Shaun

The ascending with less effort. The least amount of equipment. The least amount of sit back for energy input. Some items can fry your ropes. Others are much more rope friendly. Until you try the different climb style. Prussic or mechanical? You will never know. This site has great input on the tibloc in archieves. And other tree forums. Be safe! Happy climbing!

The book "On Rope" has a lot of good climbing set up info. Also for new climbers get the "The tree climber companion" by Jeff Epson. Happy climbing!

Already have the " the climbers companion" there is some great info in that book. I was thinking about picking up "On Rope" sometime soon

Already have the " the climbers companion" there is some great info in that book. I was thinking about picking up "On Rope" sometime soon

No offense dude, but this belongs in 101. Whatever you get, get it right slow and low.

Back