Ash Removal from my OWB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KH-1958

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Michigan - kinda in the middle of the mitten
I have been removing ashes from my OWB on a weekly basis. Usually Saturday afternoon. Today I just took out a couple of shovel fulls. I have a Woodmaster 4400 and did not buy the ash removal sysem. Does anyone have any good tips on how often and how to tell when it is time??

burn down day

Do your self a favor, and once a week wake up dont put any wood on the boiler, just stir the coals around every 3 or 4 hours. The coals will burn down quite a bit. When they're burned down throw some more logs on and enjoy the heat. Every month or so i take a metal garbage can and fill it with ash.

Last edited:
I do mine every 4-5 weeks. When you can tell there is alot more ash than coals is when I empty it out. I just pull the wheel barrow up and shovel the ashes in it and go dump them.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any good tips on how often and how to tell when it is time??

I empty my Hardy H2 at least once a week, not a hard task as the Hardy stoves have ash doors. I try to wait until it is real grey dusty (ash) but sometime I find my self shovling out black and red coal chunks. I think the best thing to do us let the red coals burn all the black chunks into grey ash, and as long as the crates are not blocked (mine forces air from the bottom) then you are OK to leave them in until they are burned down. Weekly sounds about right for me, but I don't know that much about the Woodmaster stoves, forced air or draft and whether they have an ash door.

I have a woodmaster 5500 and shovel them out maybe once a month. Like someone else stated on the weekend I'll let her burn down the coals...stirring every hour or so, then reload. Once the ashes and coal get w/in a couple inches of the bottom of the door I'll push the coals out of the way and shovel out ashes into my front end loader.

i have a hardy with an ash door. as long as the grates aren't blocked just look and make sure while loading(you're supposed to open it first) have a piece of rebar bent at a 90 to clear grates. when i get alot of coals dropping tru i use a scoop made of expanded wire to seperate coals from ash. after loading the coals go back in firebox. 2 times or more a week. long winded answer sorry.

Since it's been so warm here lately, I let mine go all the way out, got 1 1/2 wheelbarrows full, cleaned it out completly.....I usually remove some every two weeks.

Back