Asking about wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've noticed that there are people around here with trees either down or partially down. Do you guys just to up to the house and ask if you can have the wood? Any tips?

I did get some wood that the power company had cut up and left on the side of the road the other day, but it was only maybe half a cord or so.

yep, just go up to the house and ask them, most of the time they will give it to you. I got a lot of wood this year from the clearing of power lines.

I know I'm not allowed but I usually write a note and leave it in the mailbox. Offering to come and clean up the wood, and give my phone number. I live in the country and I don't like people in my driveway or at my house. If you don't know me you don't belong. I treat people with that same respect.

In my township the utility line clearing and other tree clearing locations are posted on the township's website for the public to view. I guess everyone benefits that way. You may want to check that out as well.

Ask a few of your local arborists, they may be like the guy I work for and be glad to give you a call if they have a tree cut down and don't want to haul it all away.

I know I'm not allowed but I usually write a note and leave it in the mailbox. Offering to come and clean up the wood, and give my phone number. I live in the country and I don't like people in my driveway or at my house. If you don't know me you don't belong. I treat people with that same respect.

I do the same thing, I never had anybody get mad at me because I was trying to help them out. I had one guy call me and tell me to come get it after him and his buddies cut up a big downed oak. all I had to do was load it. Another guy pulled out his own saws and helped me cut & load. If you see some wood you want go ahead and inquire about it, it cant hurt....

attachment.php
If you don't ask this will happen!!
Ask a few of your local arborists, they may be like the guy I work for and be glad to give you a call if they have a tree cut down and don't want to haul it all away.

i just walk up and ask, i have met some cool people that way. i am always polite and dressed decently (clean jeans and shirt) and thank them for there time even if the answer is no.

unfortunatly i have been strikingout the last 5+ places i have asked. i used to get a green light at least every other person.

I noticed in my area, folks will have a tree cut down, and not want to pay the extra money for the removal. They will have the intention to "clean it up on their own" I usually will see a trunk in a yard that was freshly dropped, wait a week or 3, then go ask. Usually by that point they are happy to just have it gone. The conversation usually goes something like this..

Me: Hi there, my name is Adam, I live up the road, and noticed you had this tree cut down a month or so ago. I'd be happy to clean this up and get this wood out of here for you.

Them: How much do you charge?

Me: Free of charge!

Them: (puzzled and suspicious look comes across their face)

Me: You see, I burn wood for my winter heat, and if you let me take this off your lawn, we'd both be doing each other a favor.

Them: And it won't cost me anything?

Me: Not a penny.

Them: Ok sure!

I noticed in my area, folks will have a tree cut down, and not want to pay the extra money for the removal. They will have the intention to "clean it up on their own" I usually will see a trunk in a yard that was freshly dropped, wait a week or 3, then go ask. Usually by that point they are happy to just have it gone. The conversation usually goes something like this..

Me: Hi there, my name is Adam, I live up the road, and noticed you had this tree cut down a month or so ago. I'd be happy to clean this up and get this wood out of here for you.

Them: How much do you charge?

Me: Free of charge!

Them: (puzzled and suspicious look comes across their face)

Me: You see, I burn wood for my winter heat, and if you let me take this off your lawn, we'd both be doing each other a favor.

Them: And it won't cost me anything?

Me: Not a penny.

Them: Ok sure!

I have seen it more and more around here where the home owner will have the tree dropped, then put it on CL advertised as a cord of firewood for $150....:dizzy:

Odd... I live in "the country" too, but I don't mind people coming up to my door. And I live in New England where everyone is supposed to be a bitter, unfriendly jerk.

Let me live in a house by the side of the road
And be a friend to man.

Sam Walter Foss

attachment.php

If you are referring to my beach fire no thats not hardwood thats Bull pine or Ponderosa burnus downis. The tree on the ground was also pounded butt hard by an even bigger burnus downis that I was rigging as she was leanin' hard the wrong way matey. She woulda done the poundin' on a mighty fine house to the rear.

Heck, I just knock on the door and ask them if they would be interested in free removal for the value of the wood, and charge 30 bucks for the limbs and clean up.

If they bite(Hardly ever do) on the clean up, I call one of the kids that work for me and put them to work for a flat rate.:D

You'd be surprised how many folks burn and will get around to it, or are saving the Million dollars worth of Silver maple veneer for the mill though...

Can't hurt to ask, but just be polite as heck and wait 30 seconds before getting out of the car/truck when ya pull up.
Waiting gives the 175lb homicidal Rottweiler time to appear, before ya have to rip the door handles off getting back in.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

IMHO, I would NEVER just leave a note in the mailbox. If a person did that to me there is no way I would call them. I want a person that wants to meet me face to face, and I want to size him up for his level of intelligence (or lack of common sense) and his level of respect for me etc. If a guy leaves a note in the box that shows me that he doesn't have the time in his day to meet me, and sit down for a while and talk; he doesn't want to face me unless he knows for sure that he is going to get something out of the deal.

I found my first 2 years supply of wood by knocking on the door a mile down the road from my house. But the thing that I found for a lifetime was a friend. Older, retired guy. I knocked on the door, his wife answered, he was shortly behind. I asked about the wood and he said, "Come on in, take a seat." We talked for a while, he explained that he "had rules" when it comes to cutting wood. There were some other people cutting at his place too, and he didn't want anybody to get upset. He explained the rules, most notably, #1 you have to take some of the poplar if you're going to take the ash, oak, or maple. #2, if you cut it, you can take it, but don't touch any wood that was cut by anybody else. #3 ask about any trees in question

I followed all of the those rules, and he was an extremely friendly helpful guy. I asked about the hickory tree, he said that he was cutting on that one for his own wood so please leave it. I cut up a poplar first, then a white ash. I went to pick up the load of white ash the next night, it was later, and he didn't realize I had picked it up. The next day he asked me about it, because he didn't know I had come and got it, and he just wanted to make sure that nobody else took it. He was serious about his rules, (he didn't want me to get screwed on the wood that I had already bucked).

Anyways, I got down further into the woods where the path was partially blocked off, he offered to pull the tree tops out of the way with his tractor. Then he asked me how I was splitting my wood. I said by hand, and he sent his hydraulic splitter home with me that night. When I brought the splitter back, his wife sent a pie home with me.

I just saw him in town the other day and asked how he was doing. We talked for a while, then he mentioned another oak he was going to take down. Said he'd pull it up into the edge of the yard with the tractor so I could get to it easily, then it's all mine.

Extremely nice couple, and I'm glad that I knocked on the door rather than left a note in the box etc.

Always knock on the door, meet the person, and make a friend. BTW, treat the person and their property with absolute respect, when in doubt, ask permission etc before doing something. Never do anything that the property owner says not to do, and make sure that they're satisfied.

It helps if you're carrying your chainsaw when you ask.

Running, if possible. And while wearing an old goalie's mask. Instead of knocking, rev the saw to get their attention.

This neck of the woods that would probably get you shot. :biggrinbounce2:

Yeah, probably shouldn't do that one...

Another tip... don't show up right after you crawled out from under your muddy, greasy truck from changing oil, wearing clothes that haven't been washed in a week. You don't have to dress up, but don't look trashy either.

Latest posts

Back