Attachments for pushing over leaning trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I built this today to use to push over a bunch of leaning trees. I also plan to use it to lift shingles onto my sons roof to save carrying them up a ladder. Pictures show it with shingle attachment on it and 2 bundles on it and about 16' high. I made the end truck hitch receiver style and will make several more attachments for the end of it. To push trees it will have a sharpened boomerang shaped attachment on it. This will get me up higher to give more leverage to direct the trees where I want them to go. The trees are all along the edge of the bush and lean out into the field. The farmer wants the trees dropped into the bush and not the field. This will be long enough that I don't have to get in close to the underbrush. I'll also make attachments to lift timbers into place for some work I'm planning to do if I ever get time to run my sawmill. I'll post some better pictures as I make the attachments. 20200404_155443.jpg20200404_170021.jpg20200404_170021.jpg20200404_165958.jpg20200404_165917.jpg20200404_155505.jpg20200404_155450.jpg20200404_155443.jpg

I’m curious why you think you need an attachment to push trees over. I’ve pushed trees over with the bucket, it didn’t occur to me that something else was needed. Is it because they’re already leaning and you can’t reach them?
I pushed back trees yrs. ago with a jd 410 full cab.
A widow maker landed on my roof and crushed it down to the roll bar.

I forgot to mention that this bush is surrounded by 300 acres of farmland some of which was a gravel pit. Over the years every cash cropper that has farmed the land has picked stones off it. They dumped the stones all around the bush so some of the piles are 5 or 6' high so I need to be back farther to reach the trees. And of course they are mostly ash so I don't want to be anywhere near under them. Also being up that high I can get more leverage to push them over.

When I built my barn I put double 16' 2x4s in the bucket and made an A frame with a chain from top of the bucket over the 2x4s. I set the 36' trusses by my self, I was a lot younger then. Good to work smart and hard.

Many years back I had to set a 40’ metal truss up 12 feet to frame for a hangar door. I made a similar jig pole, for tractor bucket, to raise and set the truss. When done I measured and I was ¼” off center. I then welded up the doors. This was a long time ago before cell phone cameras.

A more recent project was a 20x20 storage building. I had to set 11 wood trusses up about 12 feet. I made a jig setup for the tractor, roller trolleys for the end walls and a center roller for the truss peak. I was working alone. I would lift the truss flat, set it on the rollers, roll into position then tilt it level. Worked pretty well. Lots you can do with a tractor and bucket. I made a bucket level that I used to know the position of the bucket. It came in handy, especially, I when I raised the shingles.

Well I don’t know how I got 2 of the same picture in the post. Did something wrong.

F80B31DC-4B14-4CDD-816B-5311FA6A5DC8.jpeg4CF855F3-1ED3-4589-824E-E9C961230AFF.jpeg053B9018-FD14-4DB6-934D-AA1EFE79D250.jpeg

I forgot to mention that this bush is surrounded by 300 acres of farmland some of which was a gravel pit. Over the years every cash cropper that has farmed the land has picked stones off it. They dumped the stones all around the bush so some of the piles are 5 or 6' high so I need to be back farther to reach the trees. And of course they are mostly ash so I don't want to be anywhere near under them. Also being up that high I can get more leverage to push them over.
I like how you think!

I like it, the only thing I would add would be some sort of truss along the back. Kind of like an engine hoist has. Def like the idea for lifting shingles.
Be careful pushing the trees.

I like it, the only thing I would add would be some sort of truss along the back. Kind of like an engine hoist has. Def like the idea for lifting shingles.
Be careful pushing the trees.

The ‘truss’ is sometimes referred to as a Bridge & May
be a good idea to consider. Another couple things also
The end stinger could be wrapped akin to the receiver hitch
on a tow vechicel approx 3/4 “ to prevent any of the loading
stretch of the attachments.
Off the end of each fork pockets myself I’d run a brace at
an 60 degree into the extension. Looks nice & I do tend to
overbuild,

Back