Attention new saw buyers, big difference noted today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
Reaction score
Often you read reviews and watch videos on here of brand new saws, basically in out of the box condition. I have had the opportunity to own a lot of different saws over the last 30 years, some used, but I've bought the majority of them new. Unlike the PNW guys, I've never really had two saws of the same size, identical models, with one being well broke in and one new out of the box at the same time.
I have a MS 261 that is well broke in, all the paint is wore off the bar, prolly has had 150 tanks plus through it, I could not be more pleased with any saw, a couple weeks ago I sold my 346xpne and bought another MS261, based off our employees as well as myself believing that the 261 fits our needs much better than the 346. Today was the first time I had a chance to send a day running both saws....I put new loops of .325 RSC 18" on both saws. It was really hard to fathom the difference between the saws. I don't wear a watch while out in the woods, didn't time the difference, but the difference was like daylight and dark. The saw that had the pizz run out out it felt like it was at least 25% stronger, that is just a guestimate, but tomorrow after church I'm going to try to get some video of side by side performance.
Bottom line, with any new saw you are watching on here, you are prolly not seeing the real performance potential of the saw. I know with all the Stihl saw's I've owned it always seems like they continue to get better for each tank run until you run 15-20 tanks through them. No matter what brand you buy, don't judge the saw based on the out of the box performance, give it a chance to break in, and don't compare it to the timed cuts, vids of some of the saws you see on here, many are well broke in, muffler modded, ported or running close to race chain.
It was a real eye opener, I would have not believed the difference if I had not expierenced it myself, two identical saws, dead stock, one just walking away from the other, both tuned the same, running identical wot rpms. The only real difference one is "broke" in and the other still burning the finish on the muffler. Just saying if you buy a saw and don't see it duplicating all the claims and reviews on here, don't be surprised, give the saw a chance to break in. Don't expect them to cut cookies like you see some of the same models doing on here, never know how many hours/broke in/mods that your watching.

I have a 440 i bought and it has had a total of 5 tanks or so through it. I am really hoping it loosens up some more.......

On a side note one thing that really bothers me on here is the guys that rant and rave about thier saws (that are ported) but they dont always say they are ported. they show vids and make claims and it leads people to believing that stock saws of the same model are the just as fast.

I have maybe 10-12 tanks through my 261 and I really like that saw. It reminds me of a 361 in wood under 16". I think it is a perfect firewood saw. Love the way it runs. It feels like it has picked up quite a bit of power already, and I know it isnt fully broke in yet.

I couldnt agree more indiansprings. I have read alot of threads about people bad mouthing saws that suck out of the box. The one that sticks in my mind is the one about the 455 rancher thread.
The owners manual that the saws come with say the saw may take several tanks of fuel to breakin the engine for it to get it maximum power. :bang:

Very useful contribution Indian, thank you for taking the type to post this. :msp_thumbup:
Out of curiosity, how old is the older of the two saws?

Last edited:
I've noticed that this out of the box vs. well broken in power difference is much more dramatic
with the newest generation of strato motored saws.

I'd really like to see if much of the griping about the 201T is a result of a dramatic
and extended break in period.

I know everybody knows this, but for first time saw buyers....don't run it in on synthetic.....
Bought a 372xt once while working for a guy that provided gas. Didn't realize he wasn't running dino.......I #####ed about that saw for 2 weeks before I figured it out. I'm a dumb ass, I know. No need to let me know.

The older 261 is I think right at a year, maybe just over a year, I bought it and my newer 460 about the same time, last Nov/ Dec, really don't remember the date, I'm getting old. lol Bought it right after they come out, I can honestly say it besides the ported 460 Simon did , the 261's have become my crews favorite saws, the 361 sets more and more. A lot of it has to do with the size of wood we cut, following loggers cleaning up tops and cull logs, majority of the wood is around 18" and down, lots of chest high, close to overhead reaching. But these little saws have an amazing amount of torque for a 50cc saw, once broke in , they just rip through hardwood with our 18" .325 set ups. I can't image any homeowner needing anymore saw than one of these for their own firewood needs. There is just virtually no maint needed on these saws. On all the older model Stihls, I'll blow the filters off almost every night, just as a maint habit. I do it once a week on the 261's and most of the time they don't need it. If the new 441 M-tronic I ordered is half the saw, I'll be tickled to death. I had about as many models of stihl as you can imagine over 30 years, 009,015,200T,023,024S,026,k 028,030,031,032,038s,038MagII,041,044,046,056,460 and 660, I'm prolly more impressed with the 261 that is broke in than just about all of them. I've also had many of the older Homelite's, and one Mac 10-10 and a couple of older Sachs-Dolmars. I've actually started a little log book on this new 261 to keep track of just how many tanks get run through it. I so wish I'd done that with my 361, that saw has cut an amazing amount of wood, it has seen prolly close to 700 cords, worn out 3 or 4 rim sprockets, no telling how much fuel has went thru that saw, it prolly is a fluke, it has been the most used saw I've ever used commercially until these 261's came out. Lot's of weeks it has burned 5 gallon of mix in the past. Prolly don't compare to the landing saws in the PNW, but it is amazing how long a well taken care of saw will last. It's a statement of how far saw technology has really come regardless of brand, most are capable of lasting their owners a lifetime if you take care of them.

Couldn't agree more about the 455 rancher thread, regardless of brand, don't expect them to run at max power or match the cookie cutting times you see many times on here ( and there is nothing wrong with cutting cookies) judge a saw after it is broke in and after a full day in the woods, I'd almost wager a lowly 455 or MS 250 with sharp chains with adequate run time on them will cut more firewood in a day than most guys would ever care to cut in a day. If fact I'd prolly wager at 50 in the chitty health I'm in I can cut more than most two guys can split and load by hand in a day with any top quality 50cc saw, 346, 261, echo 500p, 5105.

I Really noticed it between my 10 year old 346xp and the new one. Big time!

I also always break em in with dino oil...

I know everybody knows this, but for first time saw buyers....don't run it in on synthetic.....
Bought a 372xt once while working for a guy that provided gas. Didn't realize he wasn't running dino.......I #####ed about that saw for 2 weeks before I figured it out. I'm a dumb ass, I know. No need to let me know.

Why? I know with some car engines that running synthetic can prevent the rings from breaking in properly. Stihl doubles your warranty if you buy a 6 pack of the synthetic with the saw. They said nothing about breaking in with Dino oil. What is the deal? Is it rings wearing in properly or something else?

Larry

Having said that , lots of cars are filled with synthetic from factory now.

+1

1. Can anyone explain the reason for this?

2. How about the physical changes that a saw goes through after all that use that 'opens it up'? At 8,000 -10,000 RPM, I wouldn't think that it would take too many tanks to wear off any rough edges. What else changes?

Thanks.

Philbert

The whole "breaking in on non-synthetic" argument is horsecrap. Period.

I break every new saw in on synthetic, Ultra, like Bowtie stated nothing but horse manure on the dino vs synthetic break in stories. I want the maximum protection, cleanest burning mix with stabilizers I can run through my new saws. Stihl engineering wouldn't be offering to double the warranty for a year on the purchase of a six pack of Ultra if they didn't believe it is good for the saw.

Good post Springs, I have to agree with you about the strato saws taking alittle longer to peak out. Alot of guys rush to have a new saw modded without even running a few tanks through them.

I break every new saw in on synthetic, Ultra, like Bowtie stated nothing but horse manure on the dino vs synthetic break in stories. I want the maximum protection, cleanest burning mix with stabilizers I can run through my new saws. Stihl engineering wouldn't be offering to double the warranty for a year on the purchase of a six pack of Ultra if they didn't believe it is good for the saw.

My thoughts as well. I did break a mustang motor in one time on regular oil, because the guy that built it said too. He said the crosshatching on the cylinders would not wear the rings in with synthetic. Never understood this. I mean if it is not going to wear the rings, then it isn't going to wear the crosshatch off the walls either, and we know that with synthetic that some wear still occurs (just supposedly less, although some big rigs get a million miles on dino oil between overhauls). I got the synthetic because it wasn't that much more and doubled the warranty.....

I guess if you wanted to play devils advocate, you could say it would take longer to break in with synthetic...... I don't think at the end of the day there will be any measurable difference between synthetic and dino IMHO.

Larry

I have a 440 i bought and it has had a total of 5 tanks or so through it. I am really hoping it loosens up some more.......

On a side note one thing that really bothers me on here is the guys that rant and rave about thier saws (that are ported) but they dont always say they are ported. they show vids and make claims and it leads people to believing that stock saws of the same model are the just as fast.

Ha! Welcome to NASCAR and "stock" car racing.

The ms362 is one of the ones that I always think about when it comes to this subject. I've never seen such a change in power after 25 tanks than with the 362. They are slugs out of the box but you run about 20-25 tanks through one and they'll flat out scream. Especially with a muff mod.

It seems a new saw will break in quicker on the dino. I know the 2171 I had seemed to be a lot different in about 2-3 gallons of dino. The other 372 was run on klotz and never really seemed to break in before I sent it back to the original owner.

It seems a new saw will break in quicker on the dino. I know the 2171 I had seemed to be a lot different in about 2-3 gallons of dino. The other 372 was run on klotz and never really seemed to break in before I sent it back to the original owner.

Interesting. Makes sense. Maybe will run some dino next gallon and see what happens

Back