ATTN: Return of the MS440 Confirmed!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad1000s

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was at my dealer today and they had just got their spring shipment of hand held equipment in. It was all loaded on a skid with clear plastic shrink wrap. I was looking to see if there was any thing new like the 261 291 271 etc. As I was nosing through, I saw it! Yes folks there it was!!! A box labeled "MS440". I asked my parts guy if we could open it up and check it out. He told me that they were not to assemble or display it till April 11th per Stihl. The only thing he could tell me that the retail price will be $839.99 with a 25" bar. That is $20 less than the MS441 with the same bar! I was/am tempted to leave a deposit on it, if it is the same as the old ms440.

I was at my dealer today and they had just got their spring shipment of hand held equipment in. It was all loaded on a skid with clear plastic shrink wrap. I was looking to see if there was any thing new like the 261 291 271 etc. As I was nosing through, I saw it! Yes folks there it was!!! A box labeled "MS440". I asked my parts guy if we could open it up and check it out. He told me that they were not to assemble or display it till April 11th per Stihl. The only thing he could tell me that the retail price will be $839.99 with a 25" bar. That is $20 less than the MS441 with the same bar! I was/am tempted to leave a deposit on it, if it is the same as the old ms440.

I'm gonna gamble on this one and say it's no April fools joke. Anyone want to bet? :D

I've been hearing this for almost a year now. No idea if it is true or not but as popular as that saw was I can imagine Stihl would like to sell it in the USA again. It is possible that with a few factory modifications it could pass the EPA regs. I sure hope so.

Why would anyone want a 440 when the 441 is soooooo much better?:bang:

No wait...Stihl is doing the "New Coke" ploy with the 441.

Brilliant!:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Still not showing as available through my dist. Ms440/460 do com in the same box,and are labeled that way.

...... I was/am tempted to leave a deposit on it, if it is the same as the old ms440.
I am pretty sure it isn't exactly the same - could well be something along the lines of the 372xpXT????

Edit; I se it still was april first in the US when this thread was started.....

Last edited:
The MS440 is going to be the SAME saw as it left as, not a cleaner saw than it was. Anyone that really wants to know, call the "SawKing".. he can explain what is going on better than I.
From what I understand, OPE manufacturers can accrue "credit" from the EPA for "clean" burning equipment, and can use that "credit" for equipment that otherwise wouldnt meet EPA restriction.
I know that sounds far fetched, but is what it is. I dont know whether or not I will pick one up yet or not.

We've known for some time now that this was supposed to happen, evidenced by the thread linked above. I believe the OP knew that as well. I think he's just saying that he's seen one come in already. Either that, or it was a cruel April Fools joke:)

My dealer still knows nothing about it and I been in there a lot lately picking up parts for the 020.

Back