Ms 400 C am I going to be disappointed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know I never had any problem with the air filter on my old 044. I ran the same filter the whole time I had it. I used and changed the prefilter though. That saw ran like a champ and had plenty of power. I never ran a 25" bar though because I just never saw the need and cut a lot of big wood too. Av not sure what that means hopefully I'll learn something new here.
There sure is a lot of them Sthil running. filtration could not have been too bad.
You know the old saying dont believe anything you read and only half of what you see
David

You know I never had any problem with the air filter on my old 044. I ran the same filter the whole time I had it. I used and changed the prefilter though. That saw ran like a champ and had plenty of power. I never ran a 25" bar though because I just never saw the need and cut a lot of big wood too. Av not sure what that means hopefully I'll learn something new here.
The airbox and filter needed cleaned constantly. It was a poorly designed. Just like all the other stihl airboxes from that time period. The airfilter did its job reasonably well, but having to stop and clean it multiple times a day was and is bs.
Av, the anti vibration mounts flat out sucked. Didn't bother me so much in years past, but these days I can't take it for long periods. Hands go numb.
The 400 reminds me a lot of the 361 when it became so popular. I have yet to use one or even pick one up. I did own a 361 , and honestly was not all that impressed. I am curious though as to why we don't see more 400 vs husky 562 debates.
There have been a few. The 400 is the faster saw and around a lb lighter. My 400 replaced my 562xp. The 361/2 are turds. If stihl worked as hard on them.as they did the 400 we wouldn't have needed 15 years for stihl to have a worthy 60ish cc saw. Why the 362 is still being produced is purely to justify the extra cost of the 400, imo.

There sure is a lot of them Sthil running. filtration could not have been too bad.
You know the old saying dont believe anything you read and only half of what you see
David
If by alot of them running you mean they get started and ran out of pity, then yeah I'd agree. They are going the way of the dodo bird. The 460/1/2 put them in the grave, especially so after the 462 came out. Just another modle stohl could drop and no one would notice.

"If by alot of them running you mean they get started and ran out of pity, then yeah I'd agree. " Huh.....I really don't understand that one. I never ran my 044 out of pity. I ran it to get the job done. If I could get that saw back I would run it another 30 years. I had an 051 before I got that 044 and I ran that saw for 15 years or more and the only reason I parted with that was because of the weight but boy would that thing cut. I don't no anything but what I have personally seen with my own eyes. As far as the filtration system All I can say is that I could put it on a log pile and run it all day and not even think about stopping to clean the airfilter. About once a week when cutting hard I would clean the filter, put on a new chain and wheel, touch up the bar and cut for another week. I would touch up the chain about every tank full or two of gas, especially in dirty wood. It would go through a tank of bar oil for every tank of gas. In dirty wood, it was time to tighten up the chain about the time it ran out of gas.
That saw ran 8 to 10 hours a day sometimes for months at a time and never was down because something broke. That is if you don't count the time I ran over it with my 955 cat. luckily it didn't hurt anything but the bar and chain and that time I was up and running in less than a half hour or so.
I never thought too much about the vibs, it never seemed to bother me and at the ripe ol age of 75 I could still run her all day every day. I won't say it was fun for a few days after I wont cutting for a month or so but once I got back in tune I was ok.
I doubt I have 30 more years left, maybe 10 more the way I do now and my only hope is that there will be something left to pass on to my boys when I'm to old to run it. The last things I ever plan on giving up is my chain saws, my pickup and the firearms I have collected over the years......and my wife, as she has been pretty tough over the years as well.

Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.
The 044 came out when 2 series Husqvarna's were the bees knees and those saws will rattle your arms loose!
If the popularity of the 044 didn't happen Husqvarna would have never stepped up their game, photo graphic history shows the wide use of the 044 in both public and private businesses.
Legendary is usually the description of the 044. The convenience of one knob for air box removal is leages ahead of what most required at the time,and after doing some firewood duty with one the filter has never given me issue? Then again some operators could screw up a wet dream.

Ever see the movie "Analyze this?"
Kinda like on here.
If you wanted ALL the power of the 044, you should have bought a 462. However, if you can give the 400 a chance and LET IT DO THE WORK (ie sharp chain), you will find it will do what you need. Same with the oiler. Sharp chain cures most ills. I fix 25% of "not enough power" complaints by sharpening the chain. Turn the oiler all the way up.
If you can't get over the difference, go back and get what you really wanted in the first place. The 400 is a very capable saw.

"If by alot of them running you mean they get started and ran out of pity, then yeah I'd agree. " Huh.....I really don't understand that one. I never ran my 044 out of pity. I ran it to get the job done. If I could get that saw back I would run it another 30 years. I had an 051 before I got that 044 and I ran that saw for 15 years or more and the only reason I parted with that was because of the weight but boy would that thing cut. I don't no anything but what I have personally seen with my own eyes. As far as the filtration system All I can say is that I could put it on a log pile and run it all day and not even think about stopping to clean the airfilter. About once a week when cutting hard I would clean the filter, put on a new chain and wheel, touch up the bar and cut for another week. I would touch up the chain about every tank full or two of gas, especially in dirty wood. It would go through a tank of bar oil for every tank of gas. In dirty wood, it was time to tighten up the chain about the time it ran out of gas.
That saw ran 8 to 10 hours a day sometimes for months at a time and never was down because something broke. That is if you don't count the time I ran over it with my 955 cat. luckily it didn't hurt anything but the bar and chain and that time I was up and running in less than a half hour or so.
I never thought too much about the vibs, it never seemed to bother me and at the ripe ol age of 75 I could still run her all day every day. I won't say it was fun for a few days after I wont cutting for a month or so but once I got back in tune I was ok.
I doubt I have 30 more years left, maybe 10 more the way I do now and my only hope is that there will be something left to pass on to my boys when I'm to old to run it. The last things I ever plan on giving up is my chain saws, my pickup and the firearms I have collected over the years......and my wife, as she has been pretty tough over the years as well.

I guess, in the first post when you said you (1) cut a lot of wood, and (2) had a lot of time in on the 044....well, you were not exaggerating.

I suspect the 400 will be fine.

I really think, however, with your history including the sad shop story, you will want to keep an eye out for a local 044/440. They pop up on CL and Marketplace occasionally. Long term, I think you'll be happier.

Roy

Ever see the movie "Analyze this?"
Kinda like on here.
If you wanted ALL the power of the 044, you should have bought a 462. However, if you can give the 400 a chance and LET IT DO THE WORK (ie sharp chain), you will find it will do what you need. Same with the oiler. Sharp chain cures most ills. I fix 25% of "not enough power" complaints by sharpening the chain. Turn the oiler all the way up.
If you can't get over the difference, go back and get what you really wanted in the first place. The 400 is a very capable saw.
Yeah, I get what you mean. I went to get a Ms 440 which I had heard was the o44's replacement but there were none around. I'm not cutting as much as I did in the past because I really cut back on my firewood business but I didn't want to give up the power and longevity that I got out of my old saw, if it not for that I would have just went out and bought me a Poulan Pro that I have wore out about a hundred of. And yes a sharp chain will work wonders with pretty much any saw.
Everybody used to ask, why you sharpen your chain so much? I would tell them, stick your saw in the big ol piece of oak right there and give me a cut. When they did pretty much nothing but smoke and dust came off the chain. I would then put my saw in the same spot and let her rip and nothing but nice long ribbons cane flying out and was done with the whole cut in less time than it took him to scratch the surface. Then I would say, that's why....... Then, most of the time they would stand back a watch for awhile before the went back to the truck looking for a file.

I guess, in the first post when you said you (1) cut a lot of wood, and (2) had a lot of time in on the 044....well, you were not exaggerating.

I really think, however, with your history including the sad shop story, you will want to keep an eye out for a local 044/440. They pop up on CL and Marketplace occasionally. Long term, I think you'll be happier.

Roy
Yes I plan to do just that.....

Roy

The OP says he hasn't even used the 400 yet. Let him get some time on it to see what he really thinks. He may warm up to it.

The OP says he hasn't even used the 400 yet. Let him get some time on it to see what he really thinks. He may warm up to it.
You are probably right. I haven't had the time to mess with it but I will soon. I have a huge pine tree behind the shop that I want gone to give me more room to get around in the back yard. I think the fire may have got to it anyway. I would just cut it down but then I would have that big stump to deal with. I've been trying to get someone with a excavator to come by and push it over but so far no one seems interested. I even offered to pay moving charges and pay for the whole day but No one will come by. that thing is probably 36" or more at a couple feet above ground level. That should give it a pretty good work out but it would be better if it was oak. I'm going to wait another week and if I cant get someone to come by I'll just cut it down and rent a stump grinder and be done with it. That thing does look awful lonely sitting on that shelf though.

As you'll see, there is also an 044 in WV.
I looked around but didn't see much I did however see a 044 a couple counties over and I might just ride over thereand have a look see. I never was to good at searching on facebook as I try to stay away from there as much as possible. This guy says he's the best chain saw mechanic in the country:numberone: and he does all kinds of mods to saws. Hopefully I can break away next week for a bit and see what he's got.

Latest posts

Back