Australian Chainsaw Racing Finals.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What species of timber were you using, if you don't mind me asking? Bloody impressive effort to knock the posts out in 5 minutes. Respect!

Thanks mate, these guys have been racing for years and it has been a privledge to race against them.

The posts are Narrowleaf Ironbark, it is the species of choice in SE qld.

Here are the posts after being planted back into the ground :msp_thumbsup:
View attachment 233528
attachment.php

The video in this thread is mine, thanks for posting it, I didn't make the final that day, but did well in the speeds.Most of the shows we cut at sell the posts off to help cover costs and to help for the next year.These posts can last 20-30yrs, and heard of some lasting 70+ yrs.

Cheers
Will

Thanks Will for dropping by. I like the racing vids when you guys are cutting off the ends of logs, too. I like the 088's with the short bars, they scream. No doubt in my mind, you guys are bad to the bone. I think you and a kid from Canada named Grufrock who is an Arborist have the baddest chainsaw shows on the web.

Will ,does the heartwood get any use?

Those look like what we would use for corner posts here.

Firewood for the most part

Thanks again, LumberjackAU.

shouldnt you be trying to organise that Stihl tech info and new owners manuals that state running in at idle for a full tank....

some of these post rip/racing guys are members here :rock:

I didn't say what they do isn't skilled I just said it's boring as hell to watch. I don't expect you to understand the technical information I gave you, some people just can't grasp the concepts.:bang:

40 to 50 years for a good post around here red & yellow box ironbark and redgum and stringy bark 20 to 30 :cheers:

40 to 50 years for a good post around here red & yellow box ironbark and redgum and stringy bark 20 to 30 :cheers:

We use Osage Orange and stick 5-6" posts limbs or the whole tree bark and all. It can last a lifetime. 80 years would't be a stretch. You can sometimes cut a hedge post that's old and they're still green. And I think they have been known to form adventitious roots and start growing.

The little white fella's like Yellow and White box too much here.
I use it for firewood but it's a chain killer.

Ironbark and Stringy is what's used locally for fencing, River Redgum is protected although someone is planning on cutting half a dozen strainer posts in a couple of weeks time, but it's a rubbish tree, sprouted from an old stump. :monkey:

Woodcutter, there'd be up to 80 year old fences here too, but 40-50 years is commonly spoken of.
BTW, Ironbark is harder and denser than Osage Orange/Hedge, IIRC it's twice as hard as Black Locust and as with most of the Eucs, they don't stand a chance in hell of floating, green or dry.

There's racing in Stroud this weekend, anyone heard from Neil or Dean yet ?

G'day all and thanks to those who responded regarding competative post ripping in Australia.

Rick,,,
yes mate, i raced at stroud yesturday and it was a good day in the office. Some good times in the open post rips, i could post the results here if anyone is interested. I might post some high lights from yesturdays events later as they are still on our recorder.

For the viewing pleasure of all, here is one of our most talented and impressive post cutters NSW has ever produced and its a pleasure to race against him.

[video=youtube_share;JVvnzchHWko]http://youtu.be/JVvnzchHWko[/video]

Charlie watkins closest camera, showing how its done when seriouse against many australian title holders, charlie himself has won the title many times.

Last edited:
Again charlie watkins against Mark Jones, mark is another NSW competitor and former australian champion, both ferociouse cutters and impressive to watch. Picking up the action halfway through the ripping section of the event.

[video=youtube_share;64XzEaEAAcE]http://youtu.be/64XzEaEAAcE[/video]

In NSW the common choice of timber is white mahogony, iron bark is also ripped like in QLD.

Nice to see some big Huskies getting a run. Is there anything like a 'standard' setup these guys are using? The bars look pretty short for the size of the powerhead, but I can understand why.

Nice to see some big Huskies getting a run. Is there anything like a 'standard' setup these guys are using? The bars look pretty short for the size of the powerhead, but I can understand why.

All I run is huskies, but I am surrounded by stihls in my area :laugh: , then down Neils way it is mostly huskies with an odd stihl thrown in.

Most common bar length is 18", short enuff to steer around a bit but long so it doens't move around much on its own. either .325 or 3/8 chain is used with .325 being the most common

And big Stihls. And they seem like they have some older saws in there , too.

Hey Man, tell Charlie Watkins we are luvin' it here in the USA. I had no idea there was so many guys from Australia on ArboristSite. We don't get to learn that much about Australia where I'm from. So we really appreciate you guys dropping in. Post any thing you have here on the sport or chainsaws or you can even put pictures of your sister. We're flexible.

I'm wonderin' about the abbrieviations. NSW QLD what is all that? What are the organizations?

I would love to get good mahogany to make electric guitars out of.

Jim Alexander from Victoria, Australia competing here in 1979. He's up against Arden Cogar JR.'s Dad. Arden is a Stihl Timbersports Pro.

Jim is a big dude. I wonder if he's still around.

[video=youtube;AeFw99y-nOk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeFw99y-nOk&feature=BFa&list=PL8120F0B67306B95C&lf=plcp[/video]

NSW= New South Wales
QLD= Queensland

Between two clubs, Anduramba Chainsaw Club (in QLD) and Northern New South Wales Chainsaw Association, they pretty much set the rules for racing in these two states

And big Stihls. And they seem like they have some older saws in there , too.

Hey Man, tell Charlie Watkins we are luvin' it here in the USA. I had no idea there was so many guys from Australia on ArboristSite. We don't get to learn that much about Australia where I'm from. So we really appreciate you guys dropping in. Post any thing you have here on the sport or chainsaws or you can even put pictures of your sister. We're flexible.

I'm wonderin' about the abbrieviations. NSW QLD what is all that? What are the organizations?

I would love to get good mahogany to make electric guitars out of.

Thanks mate for the rep, and thankyou to you all who have watched these vids and liked what we do in our raceing areans. i can post numerouse vids on all the different events we do if you guys want to see them.

JOHNY UTAR,,,
thanks mate for being honest, what we do is not for everyone, however to do correctly does take many years of practice and for your bennifit i will put up some other events we do and would like your comment on those as well.

edit.... spot on lumberjac au,
For those who do not know lumberjac au, he won't tell you, but he is our currant australian all round champion for 2011 and will be contesting his position next month in our next Australian national titles event being held in QLD.

hahaha, i will tell charlie that, maybe he will get a swelled head and slow down a bit, seriously tho he is in the peak of his career and a bloody nice fellow as well.

Last edited:
Back