Axes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anybody out there use an axe much? Ive got a nice snow and neally, but am looking at the Baileys competition work axe($110). Has anyone used it, is it worth the coin. I want a heavy axe like that, but I want a good one too. I mostly just use my axe for fun, dont get me wrong though, it has saved my butt a couple times out cutting. None of my buddies even attempt chopping a tree, I habitually do it once every time we go out. Mainly just to show off, but I really do enjoy it.

Any feedback would be great!:popcorn:

I use one to split slabs for my evaporator - But wouldn't to fall a tree - Takes too long - Wastes wood, all those big chips all over the ground - Stumps too high too - Just my 2 cents.

How many tools do you have? If you've got the tools (and since you've got time considering you're looking for an 'additional' axe) I'd go looking around in antique stores. Find an old head and bring your back to life. Then look long and hard for a good handle. For some elbow grease and probably $30 you can have a piece of history and a great axe...and you can claim some amount of craftsmanship in it!!!

I use an axe for limbing everything I fell for fire wood. I prefer a double bit axe, its ballenced better and the extra weight combined with being real sharp caries it through the cut real nice. I'll clean everthing off up to about 2" with the axe then use the saw to cut the rest into fire wood. I just cant see useing a big felling saw for cutting small limbs when I can use the excersise and gass is at $4 a gallon.

I have the Bailey's work axe and I use an axe frequently. I like an axe for quick limbing, hacking through brush, splitting etc. The Bailey's axe is too heavy for using in the woods. I use it for competition and and that's it. I use 2.5 lb Bahco axe for all around use. I like the Bailey's axe and it has held up well. I'm a novice at competition chopping, and a more experienced competitor at Tupper Lake showed me how the axe should be ground to get better penetration. For $120 the Bailey's axe is a lot of fun, and worth getting if you like to chop.

How many tools do you have? If you've got the tools (and since you've got time considering you're looking for an 'additional' axe) I'd go looking around in antique stores. Find an old head and bring your back to life. Then look long and hard for a good handle. For some elbow grease and probably $30 you can have a piece of history and a great axe...and you can claim some amount of craftsmanship in it!!!

I have a double head axe I fixed up like this, its real sharp and on the wall, I don't want to use it now its looking good. I also have a single bit Arvika 41/2lb. axe, its great for work.

Latest posts

Back