Back In The Day.......Waaaaaay Back....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back before powersaws there were handsaws..........big handsaws.

BigTrees1.jpg

With these saws and some oversized axes undercuts like this were cut.

BigTrees3.jpg

Big axes?? Yep, we got big axes.

BigTrees2.jpg

Once you got the sucker down the work began, cutting it into "logs."

BigTrees4.jpg

One "log" took a lot of cutting and then you had to get it down the hill to the "side".

BigTrees5.jpg

One piece per car and the pieces are bigger than the locie.

BigTrees6.jpg

Hollowed out log serving as body for truck.

BigTrees7.jpg

Or you could house a logger too.

BigTrees8.jpg

Take care.

Thanks for posting that . Wow . Any idea where it was .?

Sorry but I have no idea where and even when those pics were taken. A friend sent them to me and he got them from another friend.......you know how that goes. :msp_biggrin:

I'm thinking some historian type logger may know.

Take care.

Sorry but I have no idea where and even when those pics were taken. A friend sent them to me and he got them from another friend.......you know how that goes. :msp_biggrin:

I'm thinking some historian type logger may know.

Take care.

I'v got some of those pictures in a book of mine call Logging Days, they were in the redwoods by Orick California, gosh I can't even start to think how long they took to cut down with axes and misery whips.

Cary

That saw in the first image must be 20' or over. Amazing that guys could get trees this size on the ground with hand tools, it's difficult for any human to sustain an output equivalent to 1/4 horsepower for any meaningful length of time. The amount of energy contained in fossil fuels is mind boggling.

Shaun

That saw in the first image must be 20' or over. Shaun

I've seen that pic several times and something about that saw looked odd and I think I finally figured it out. I think it's two shorter saws that have been joined (welded) together. I believe that's why the center is so narrow.

The amount of pure physical labor exerted, the ingenuity and the indomitable spirit of those folks was responsible for building America. It's simply amazing what they could accomplish with the tools and equipment of the day.

Those men were so rough, they probably wore their clothes out from the inside first.

I've seen that pic several times and something about that saw looked odd and I think I finally figured it out. I think it's two shorter saws that have been joined (welded) together. I believe that's why the center is so narrow.

The amount of pure physical labor exerted, the ingenuity and the indomitable spirit of those folks was responsible for building America. It's simply amazing what they could accomplish with the tools and equipment of the day.

Those men were so rough, they probably wore their clothes out from the inside first.

. They were tough alright . But the "indomitabls spirit" thing is a bunch of horse puky . It's who they were and what they did . They could have been bums ect. But instead they chose to think , work and build a life for themsemselves and thier families . Most of them didn't live to be very old . .

Making a long misery whip , like making a long power saw bar requires at least 3 saws . The one in the top pic may have needed more than 4 . Even if u start with 2 10' saws , and they are falling saws not bucking saws .
The teeth have to be in a continous arc . .

. They were tough alright . But the "indomitabls spirit" thing is a bunch of horse puky . It's who they were and what they did . They could have been bums ect. But instead they chose to think , work and build a life for themsemselves and thier families . Most of them didn't live to be very old . .

Making a long misery whip , like making a long power saw bar requires at least 3 saws . The one in the top pic may have needed more than 4 . Even if u start with 2 10' saws , and they are falling saws not bucking saws .
The teeth have to be in a continous arc . .

a lot of them were old men before 50. and did not live much past there 50;s. my greatgrandpaw past in the wood's at 58. grandpaw at 60. they got used up fast.

There are lots of big Redwoods left, most are in parks out of reach, logging them has become an expensive hobby.

Price of fuel...logging anything is an expensive hobby. Boss had me leave all the big yellow pine in the cooridors lately....not worth the expense to yard out. Let the boys work around them.

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back