Back in the saddle!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigus Termitius

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey fellers!

Just wanted to check in and say hello! I've taken a hiatus, that's Bigus Termitius talk for a "break!"

Anyway, It's been a long nasty trail, but I've come out on top and better than ever. Last I was posting I was down in Missouri planning on doing some land clearing and development with this land baron out of Iowa. I was on a decent 20 acre spread that I was fixing to buy as well.

Long story short, that whole situation collapsed in a heap of ####e. (Hey, it happens!)

After a long cold winter sub contracting with a friend for a coop near Quincy, IL. and some side jobs in Rock Island's Broadway District climbing with the bald eagles. I'm back home and busier than I had ever hoped.

Along the way I lost an estimated 325 pounds, most of that being the lunatic soon to be ex wife. Never realized how much she weighted me down. A person can do that if you let them. I learned a lesson there.

I even spent a few weeks with Asplundh on an excellent climbing crew, sunk a ton of funds into a new climbing system, only to end up on ditch patrol with nowhere to climb. I was hoping to ride out the divorce there.

Thankfully, I started getting busy on the weekends and then the storms hit the home area, so I resigned from the little orange army and headed out again. Thanks to the support of family, friends, a loyal clientele that I thought was lost in the move, and my phenomenal girlfriend....life's getting back to a new normal.

I lost the weight and got in really good shape by working out, climbing everything, and more importantly a new diet, it's more of a lifestyle than a diet, but it's changed everything for me. Most of my old clients don’t even recognize me at first. It's been awesome.

So, just wanted to say hello, I've lurked here and there for a few. I see some new faces with some of the old. Good deal.

I'm heading out to go antique shopping with my lady for the morning, but I also want to extend an invitation to anyone wanting to improve their health and performance which can extend their career and quality of life. PM me if you want. Peace brothers!

Antique shopping? Wow, you really have changed.:msp_biggrin:

Yep. One thing I learned is that you cant work all the time, and that it's a good idea to go with your lady places she likes too. Besides, it was a really good time and I got a cotton fork to help with clean up. Besides, she's got the money to get what she wants and that changes the event altogether. ;)

Welcome back! We need to get together sometime. You back at the same place? Next time your down, give me a call!

Welcome back! We need to get together sometime. You back at the same place? Next time your down, give me a call!

Thanks man! I was thinking of getting a hold of you sometime this week. I was living on 38th st in RI from Jan 1st till now. I didnt know you moved back till recently. I'm moving out this week after a court hearing on tuesday. Like I said, I took a job on an Iowa manual crew with asplundh in May to weather the divorce up there, but that didnt pan out...it was getting real stupid and besides I was always missing for court and lawyers appointments, so when my phone lit up down here after a storm, I jumped on it.

Now I'm booked up, but in the middle of replacing a clutch on the chipper. Thanks to Altec, I'll be another week or so behind as they sent me the wrong clutch. At least I've got a name for a guy in NC to call this am to get things worked out.

I cant get a big U-Haul till Thursday so I might have some time of an evening to catch up with you and finally meet up. My girls have a stack of left over business cards they are putting out so I might be up there from time to time with work occasionally, be able to recommend you, or team up on something big. I've got a long nasty divorce brewing now thanks to the ex moving an abusive and apparently homeless boyfriend in (guess she got pretty lonely :laugh:) so I'll be up there alot in the months to come to deal with that and see my girls. Ode to Joy! :D

Are we gonna have to start calling ya littleus termitus now? :givebeer:

welcome back mate! We've lost a few members this year so good to see some coming back

Thank man! Lol, I'm still kinda big for a termite, and make an even bigger impact now. Took awhile to adjust to not having the same "leverage" though..lol!

Call me, I will be camped out for the rest of the week at the same spot in PV. I was just on 38th in RI bidding work! Did a removal for a Sheriff Deputy in RI yesterday, prob drove by your place!

Call me, I will be camped out for the rest of the week at the same spot in PV. I was just on 38th in RI bidding work! Did a removal for a Sheriff Deputy in RI yesterday, prob drove by your place!

I will if I get the time Wednesday evening, which I hope I will. Court got cancelled last minute because they want to use another judge to consolidate the OP hearings on this homeless guy, and the divorce. Less than 24 hours notice and I had two witnesses coming from Chicago and Missouri. Not good.

So I'll be here downstate till at least tomorrow afternoon. Either way, I'll be up with more time eventually.

I was on the hill at 2330, btw, so I'm sure ya did.

I will if I get the time Wednesday evening, which I hope I will. Court got cancelled last minute because they want to use another judge to consolidate the OP hearings on this homeless guy, and the divorce. Less than 24 hours notice and I had two witnesses coming from Chicago and Missouri. Not good.

So I'll be here downstate till at least tomorrow afternoon. Either way, I'll be up with more time eventually.

I was on the hill at 2330, btw, so I'm sure ya did.

Cool, we are working in PV (Bettendorf) out on Forest Grove Rd. I will be done around 4 and onto bids at 5. PM heading ur way with numba

Divorce discussion

So I got the divorce paperwork in the mail while trying to move last week. Apparently, she is gunning for my equipment and wants to liquidate my business to cover her attorney's fees, marital debt, and what not. Anyone in here "survive" a divorce and protect your business at the same time. Any ideas are welcome. I'm pretty frustrated because it wasnt supposed to get out of hand, but now that I've moved on and her boyfriend and her are in hot water for what they said and did concerning my daughters all of the sudden she's going for the jugular. Thanks in advance for your time expressing ideas and encouragement.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I don't have any personal experience in the divorce process (married 30 yrs), my wife and I have had many friends go through it and gained some insight. If you have child support payments, do not fall behind on them. Jurisdictions vary, but here there is a gov't agency that ensures they are paid and those bureaucrats are ruthless at making sure the court orders are followed to the letter. They have no issue, garnishing you Accts Payable, bankrupting your biz or sticking you in jail.

Everything is negotiable, consider your ex's demand as an opening gambit.

The value of your biz is really quite low without you. If someone like Davey was to evaluate your biz for the purpose of buying it, the value would be in the resale value of the equipment (quite low), the crew and your client list. As you should never let the client list go, and if you shut down the biz, the crew would disappear, the only value (for her) would be in the sale of the equipment.

I'm not a lawyer, but what I've seen done is an owner sell the equipment to a friend, bancrupt the company (to get rid of debts), then rebuy the equipment and fire it up under a different name. As I said, the biggest value is in the client list.

The only other advice I can give, is listen to your lawyer and try your best to deal with it as a business deal and keep the emotion out of it as best you can.

Good Luck.

Been down that road. I only lost about 150 pounds but she was still a fu$king pig. Of course they are going to go after your jugular, it depends how your biz is set up. I'm set up as a corporation, so a little less painful. Expect to go back to court numerous times though. She will find out that she needs more money than her Walmart boyfriend can supply, so you are the obvious cash cow. Keep your chin up, get the best lawyer you can afford (beg, borrow, or steal) this will save you tenfolds later on. Don't jump into a serious relationship too quick, now is the time to sample some of the poon you've been missing out on. Just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Back