Backpack blower question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know this was posted in the saw forum a while back but I didn't want to dig it up. After reading the thread I am very interested in the Redmax 8000 but have a few questions in regard to the Stihl BR600. When you look at the specs of the Stihl it gives you velocity w/ tubes and w/o tubes. Would this be the nozzle you can slip on the tip to tighten the air pattern and increase velocity (but reduce CFM) or is it the whole tube? Does Stihl measure the CFM w/o tubes at the housing where you would need a tube anyway for it to work? My 420C Magnum works extremely well and has a ton of power but the 600 can crush it. I assume the 8000 is at the nozzle and if so that's some serious wind, makes me wanna clean the 420 and hit the bay.

420 Magnum

518 CFM W/ tubes
724 CFM W/O tubes

BR 600
712 CFM W/tubes
1012 CFM W/O tubes

Redmax 8000
943 CFM

Since nobody has chimed in, I'll give it a shot. My understanding has always been that the w/o tubes measurement was actually at the point that the air exits the housing and prior to entering ANY tubes. It seemed that this measurement wasn't particularly useful. You might wish to direct this question to the guys over at lawnsite.

So, the 600 CRUSHES the 420, eh? I was going to get a 600 but a $220 used 420 was too good a deal to pass up. I'm very pleased with the 420, but certainly not blown away by it. It doesn't seem that much more powerful than my BG85 handheld, for goodness sake! As much as I hate the 4mix idea, I might have to at least try one sometime.

I was fortunate enough to be given a Echo PB60HT that is a few years old. When the guy bought it (lawn care business), it was the biggest Echo made. It had a bolt stripped out on the muffler, someone put a heli coil in and put a new bolt in, and snapped the other bolt off on the muffler. 5 min fix for me, nice leaf blower. Tons of power!!!

To the best of my knowledge w/o tubes means just after the hand that controls the throttle and w/t tubes means at the end of the tubes that you can put on or take off. Usually if the company doesn't't specify it usually means at the housing where the first tub connects. That is what red-max used to use for a spec anyway.

http://server1.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=31831&highlight=ebz8000

Check this link page three... it's still a sloppy cut and paste but the red max blows 943 at the housing and 688 cfm at the end of the pipe. I own the Stihl Br600 and a good friend has an ebz8000 long story short Br600 is alot lighter and somewhat stronger but doesn't have a conventional 2 stroke exhaust note.

computeruser said:
Since nobody has chimed in, I'll give it a shot. My understanding has always been that the w/o tubes measurement was actually at the point that the air exits the housing and prior to entering ANY tubes. It seemed that this measurement wasn't particularly useful. You might wish to direct this question to the guys over at lawnsite.

So, the 600 CRUSHES the 420, eh? I was going to get a 600 but a $220 used 420 was too good a deal to pass up. I'm very pleased with the 420, but certainly not blown away by it. It doesn't seem that much more powerful than my BG85 handheld, for goodness sake! As much as I hate the 4mix idea, I might have to at least try one sometime.

Youll appreciate the hell out of that 420 over your BG85 when you have to use it all day, non-stop.

I actually find the 420 to be more "controlling" with the tube installed on the end. The open pipe at the trigger is good for big piles right at your feet but the extension really tightens up the pattern and I can easily walk a pile of leaves. Granted it concentrates more air in a smaller pattern at the sacrifice of some CFM but works much better IMO. I do like my 420 and yes I can use it all day...very comfortable, no way would I ever go back to a handheld. If you get a chance to see a 600 in person you won't believe how quiet it is and the airflow at the tip is just mad silly. Don't say I didn't warn you....who said you can't have two blowers.:D

computeruser said:

Try it you'll like it.

rebelman said:
tone up, use a broom. all this talk about 420 pipes is blowing smoke.

LOL...post up some pics of you using a broom to get leaves off your lawn and out of your landscape beds, Id like to see that!!!

Also, when you are charging someone for leaf removal, what do you charge per man hour when you use your broom as opposed to your blower.

Well.....I took the plunge and sold my trusty 420 and acquired..........the Beast! The BR600 is no joke for anyone who is in the market, thanks to all for speaking highly of this monster. Granted the 420 can move some leaves but the 600 moves them and keeps them going with a vengeance. With 2" of ground cover including ivy could not hold the leaves down. I would find myself walking towards the pile a bit to keep them moving but now I just stand there. Not only does it have a wonderful 4-stroke growl but when you rev it up it puts a clockwise twist on your body and gives resistance to moving forward from the blast:) With roughly 35% more airflow it is definately worth every penny.

gmcman said:
If you get a chance to see a 600 in person you won't believe how quiet it is

I'll second that. I was chatting with the owner of a landscaping business one day when one of his guys started cleaning out the cab of their truck with a 600. I as SHOCKED at how quiet it was!

I want one! I want one! :D

Ive been running an Echo PB4600 since i purchased it in, ????, about 97 or so... Its a great machine, i ran it hard for a few years, but since have cut the hrs down significantly... anyway, it starts on pull 2 or 3 every time. no maintenance, other than clean the air filter and new spark plug once or twice.
thats my 2c
i ran several redmaxs in my time, they seem cheaper and dont run with the quality of the echos...

Latest posts

Back