Backup/loaner saw which one.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang around my shop, or just about anybody's for a couple of weeks. After you see how many people bring something in and start with, "I let somebody borrow this..........", you won't be considering the loaning option too much longer.

I don't borrow or lend tools...period. It's a real quick way to screw up a relationship with just about anybody.

i broke the rule a couple of years ago and lent my little Mac 2016 to a neighbor. He brought it back out of gas, out of oil and the chain was stretched so bad it literally fell off the bar. This was a guy who has worked in the construction industry for his whole life.

Better to just say no right from the start and maintain the friendship. If they don't get it then they probably aren't much of a friend anyway.

loaning out a chainsaw is like loaning out your g/f or wife she will never come back the same! its a no no , i never loan anything out ever especially a $600 chainsaw

That is why I vote PM610 you can always loan out a fat one. You know what they say riding mopeds and fat girls is fun until your friends catch with one:hmm3grin2orange:

My loaning rule is never loan soemthign to someone that does not have the means to replace said tool you are loaning to them in the first place.

If they are that hard up for the use of the item then time willing I will help them myself rather than loaning the tool directly to them.

Last edited:
Purchasing a saw with the 'intent' of it being a loaner strikes me as madness. Sorry:msp_smile:

My loaning rule is never loan soemthign to someone that does not have the means to replace said tool you are loaning to them in the first place.

You'd be surprised how many have the means to replace said tool... but will not. And they will think you are trying to take advantage if you suggest it.

Best to just say no in the first place. If they have the means, they can purchase or rent. If they can't do that, you shouldn't expect them to do the right thing if and when...

Loaner saw...you're a brave man! There are only two people within my immediate circle of family and friends who I loan saws to. There are also a couple other guys here on AS that I'd loan saws to if they were closer by. Everybody else, nope, been there, done that, and had to fix or rebuild the result of my generosity. Anymore if you want to borrow a saw, it comes complete with an operator.

I thought that 365 was going to be your loaner saw...............:stop:

If I were going to BUY a loaner it would be a saw that is easy to maintian, simple to operate and hard to destroy...........and it would be just powerful enough to do the trim and clean up work. Anyone who has a bunch of wood to cut needs their own saw. If you still have that MS250, that would do it, or a used one that is in lesser shape.
:big_smile:

Last edited:
I want to be your friend and borrow your saws. I don't loan out saws, even any consumer Craftsman/Poulan saws I have laying around. If someone doesn't own a saw, they probably don't have any business running mine.

If you have to loan a saw, a Wild Thing, Mini Mac or Mac TimberBear/610/650 is the ticket. If it never comes home you are probably the winner in the end.

been there, done that.

I am over it.

I run a firewood biz up here. I have had a few people "cutting" for me.
A company saw can cut anything.
A company truck can go anywhere.

I have now seen the wisdom of the cutter providing his own chainsaw. I pay for cut wood. How you get it done is your problem.

My loaner saw would be:
View attachment 228802

perfect.

You'd be surprised how many have the means to replace said tool... but will not. And they will think you are trying to take advantage if you suggest it.

Best to just say no in the first place. If they have the means, they can purchase or rent. If they can't do that, you shouldn't expect them to do the right thing if and when...

Well my very good friend and neighbor lends me his $15K John deere with bucket on it anytime I need it. He is on the list of will lend too. His wife said I was the only person he ever felt that he could lend somethign too and know I would cover any damage if something would happen in my hands. I would lend just about anything to him excluding family members.

It would have to be somebody I actually know as a personal friend. Not just some Joe walking down the street saying hey could I borrow this.

I would not hesitate lend my MS261 or MS460 to the said neighbor above. But I also am grateful of how he is as friend. Maybe there is less of that around than I realize in other areas:msp_sad:

Well my very good friend and neighbor lends me his $15K John deere with bucket on it anytime I need it. He is on the list of will lend too. His wife said I was the only person he ever felt that he could lend somethign too and know I would cover any damage if something would happen in my hands. I would lend just about anything to him excluding family members.

It would have to be somebody I actually know as a personal friend. Not just some Joe walking down the street saying hey could I borrow this.

I would not hesitate lend my MS261 or MS460 to the said neighbor above. But I also am grateful of how he is as friend. Maybe there is less of that around than I realize in other areas:msp_sad:

Unfortunately there is less of that around it seems these days, which is why I just say no now. Been burned a few times with other even lesser items, believe it or not. Which is why I buy my own equipment or rent because if something goes awry, its all on me.

Anybody close enough that falls into the description of your good neighbour there, I offer my help along with whatever it is they wanted to borrow.

It is ironic but I had a friend of my wifes ask me if she could borrow one of my saws yesterday to cut a small tree in her front yard. My gut reaction was not thought of my saw but how I would feel if she got hurt- her husband is disabled and cannot do such things.

My second reaction was to smile and say that I would be very happy to come over after work one day and cut it for her. Adding that my wife and I had been looking forward to a chance to come and visit.

I cut a little sapling for my Mom's neighbor last weekend. I was cutting some large white pines for Mom and he asked to borrow a saw for a minute- I just said "I am already dirty, let me do it for you." I find any excuse I can not to loan power tools- same on borrowing them. Murhpy has a sick sense of humor sometimes.

Bill

Thanks for posts. It's only for me and stepdad. He has cut firewood for himself for a lot of years. Cleaned the property they at now. He knows what he is doing. As do I.

I would let a few friends use it too but I would be there.

Axlerod: I love the husky but it's my play saw only. No one else touching. Only 2 friends to try out

J.

I have one friend like that, would let him borrow any saw he wanted (or any other tool he wanted). His dad was in the timber business and ran two sawmills, Nelson started working for him when he was 14 and later ran the 1100 acre family farm when he got older. Knows how to do most outdoor things better than I do.

Right now he is in possession of numerous things that I could not immediately bring with me after my move, including my 4 wheeler, the '62 Studebaker in my signature picture, my rollback truck, my bucket truck, all my guns as well as some tools and farm implements. He did some work on both ttrucks and I sent him a check for the parts. I don't know if he ever cashed it.

OK, now I gotcha. A loaner but only for Stepdad and few trusted friends.................I would still keep the MS250 and let them use it. It should do nicely for the intended purpose.

Latest posts

Back