Bad experience with husky 450?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cberry121

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought a brand new husky 450 a few days ago, wanted a saw in the 50-60cc range, and i thought husky was a good brand, and im sure it still is. I mainly bought it because it was lighter and felt more balanced than the stihls at the same dealer. The 450 started up great, oiler worked perfect, made about 2 cuts with it and the sprocket in the bar seized up from sawdust, freed it, cut a few more times, it did it again. It did that 5 times then seemed to work fine. I cut for 1 1/2 hours that day, the next morning i went to start it up, it made that initial fire, then i flipped the lever down and tried to make that last pull to fire it up, the pull cord went 6 inches, stopped and broke the starter pawl. very dissapointed in that saw, needless to say i brought it back and bought a stihl ms290, hoping for a better experience. what are your thoughts on the husky 450? and stihl ms290?

There both lower quality homeowner saws. You just happened to be the one in 10000 that got the saw that was built on a Friday. Both saws will work fine for you if you take care of them.

Either saw would be fine for 10 cords. Good luck with you new saw! But like us AS people say... PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Both good saws for what they are.

My brother has had nothing but trouble with a ms290, and now is running Husky.

6 and a half dozen to the other, or how ever than saying goes... :msp_smile:

Both good saws for what they are.

My brother has had nothing but trouble with a ms290, and now is running Husky.

6 and a half dozen to the other, or how ever than saying goes... :msp_smile:

Lol i think it's 6 of one and a half dozen other :biggrin:

I have had my 450 since July and cut up six cord of oak and cut up a half dozen 30 inch oaks,the saw cuts like a champ with plenty of power.
I'm on my second chain I keep them pretty sharp, this is my third Husky and if I get any were near the service I got out of the past two I'll be a happy man.
Of course I bought it before I found this site, now I have saw envy :laugh:

Last edited:
I have an old mcculloch pro mac 605 that runs great and has no plastic, but it weighs in at 21 pounds, gets tiring pretty quick. And ill definitely think about the MM idea

What about the starter and air filter covers? Thought they were plastic. Regardless, to me, those are good saws, but definitely a bit heavy for what they do. But they're built real nice, so the weight is worth it IMHO.

I agree with RandyMac, get a 10-10. You'll save some serious $$$ too. It's insane what they charge for the big box throwaways.

A 10-10 is much lighter. And a better saw by pound for sure.

Although, you should get a 7-10/Pro Mac 700. Or a CP70 if you can actually find one (These are McCullochs, if you're not familiar).

A little heavier than the Home Depot saws, yes. But only a little, and with the power gain, you'll get your work done before it's a bother.

And nothing beats an all-metal saw. Nothing to worry about, besides the consequences of a damaged spark plug wire, which you should be on top of anyways.

Latest posts

Back