Bad Luck? Good Luck? You Decide!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a dodge 1 ton at work and last year all the lugs but 1 broke off while turn at an intersection. The truck is never overloaded it only hauls tools. The shop blamed it on impact gun being used a little too often. Said the bolts get tightened too much and snapped over time, domino effect.

They give torque specs on the lugs for a reason! I've heard of problems even with using those "torque sticks" that most tire shops use. I always use a torque wrench on mine after getting them tight but under torqued with an impact.

They give torque specs on the lugs for a reason! I've heard of problems even with using those "torque sticks" that most tire shops use. I always use a torque wrench on mine after getting them tight but under torqued with an impact

WARNING: This is super important I try to always ask first when getting tires put on do you use Tourque sticks? If anyone answers yes to this question walk out the door and don't look back.

I've seen it a hundred times and happened to me once by mistake. those sticks DO NOT stop at the intended tourque. I believe places use these for more business They save almost 2 seconds in time and are very dangerous to your vehicle.

1. warped brakes by overtightening
2. snapped studs could cost you your life traveling at high speeds.
3. wheel bearings
4. warped and or stripping wheels

90$ is actually quite cheap last time i bought studs and nuts was over 120$ for the parts alone if and when replacing studs always use new nuts. The threads are stretched and are near failure. :rock:

A quick story some friends of the family were traveling a long distance they made it to the destination town no more then a minute or 2 after hopping of the interstate they watch their tire go right past them and roll into a service station. TALK ABOUT LUCKY. what if this happened on the highway? Tire places will never ever be liable but I believe if you can prove they use those tourque sticks you have a legitamate case on your hands. :rock:

NEVER USE AN IMPACT GUN for tightening You can use it to take up the slack never to tighten.
ALWAYS use a Tourque wrench.
NEVER use a lubricant of any kind on a stud or nut.

SEMI trucks are a different type that need high tourque and with a stud thats almost an inch in diameter they are impossible to break with any pnuematic tool. (not that it can't be done hehe)

Last edited:
We had a dodge 1 ton at work and last year all the lugs but 1 broke off while turn at an intersection. The truck is never overloaded it only hauls tools. The shop blamed it on impact gun being used a little too often. Said the bolts get tightened too much and snapped over time, domino effect.

Well you can't expect too much out or a recycled tin can, that dodge was overloaded with just the driver in it!!! Not to much strength in a recycled tin can, gives pretty easy.

All but 2 studs were gone, and one studs' threads were jimmied beyond use. Let alone no jack that would hold that much weight( loaded pickup box, 1/3 cord).

Might be a good idea to upgrade jacks then. Makes it a lot easier to change a tire on the vehicle in case of a flat with out having to unload/unhook all that wood. I always carry a 20 ton bottle jack in the truck, it would have no problem lifting the vehicle. I would say you should always carry a jack big enough to lift the vehicle and the load, a lug nut tool, ect. Just some food for thought, like a boy scout always be prepared.

Don't go buy a lottery ticket, you done used up all your luck on one incident.:laugh:

Even when I know I can't help people, due to lack of tools with me or whatever, I try to always stop. Having been the guy broke down a time or two it is always nice to get the moral support of someone at least noticing you got a problem.

I had a small car fire one time in the middle of a busy parking lot. It was lucky it happened there, a wire rubbed the braided SS on the fuel line and then shorted, blowing a hole in the fuel line and starting a fire. Lucky thing is it was the hot wire going to the fuel pump, so the fuse blew and shut off the fuel. Fire was out before I had a chance to jump out and grab the extingusher. Anyway, the point is that in the middle of a busy parking lot, in a farming town, and not a single person offered any kind of help at all. I hope they all at least got a laugh out of me working on the car while I ate an ice cream cone, I wasn't going to waste it.

Mr. HE:cool:

Donuts

In the midwest, you need to place a box of donuts on the roof of the cab. He drove by a couple times looking for it... :hmm3grin2orange:

Oh, come now. The cop knew the service station was walking distance. He drove by to check on you twice while making his rounds.

Maybe he was on a call when he first saw you.

WARNING: This is super important I try to always ask first when getting tires put on do you use Tourque sticks? If anyone answers yes to this question walk out the door and don't look back.

I've seen it a hundred times and happened to me once by mistake. those sticks DO NOT stop at the intended tourque. I believe places use these for more business They save almost 2 seconds in time and are very dangerous to your vehicle.

1. warped brakes by overtightening
2. snapped studs could cost you your life traveling at high speeds.
3. wheel bearings
4. warped and or stripping wheels

90$ is actually quite cheap last time i bought studs and nuts was over 120$ for the parts alone if and when replacing studs always use new nuts. The threads are stretched and are near failure. :rock:

A quick story some friends of the family were traveling a long distance they made it to the destination town no more then a minute or 2 after hopping of the interstate they watch their tire go right past them and roll into a service station. TALK ABOUT LUCKY. what if this happened on the highway? Tire places will never ever be liable but I believe if you can prove they use those tourque sticks you have a legitamate case on your hands. :rock:

NEVER USE AN IMPACT GUN for tightening You can use it to take up the slack never to tighten.
ALWAYS use a Tourque wrench.
NEVER use a lubricant of any kind on a stud or nut.

SEMI trucks are a different type that need high tourque and with a stud thats almost an inch in diameter they are impossible to break with any pnuematic tool. (not that it can't be done hehe)

I admire the technique used in most tire shops: Apply lug nut/stud with rattle gun till it stops, pick up torque wrench and turn "CLICK" Yep, just right....not. They last used the rattle gun on a semi and are now using it on an econocar without changing the setting. The "click" they hear jusst says it is tighted to AT LEAST the settting on the torque wrench, it doesn't tell them how much over tightened it was. I had a go around about that at myi local tire shop when I couldn't bust 'em loose on my F150 with the cruciform lug wrench and the tow driver had real struggle doing it wiht a long cheater bar.

Next flat I had, lo and behold they loosened up with normal pressure. Never got an apology though.

Harry K.

I admire the technique used in most tire shops: Apply lug nut/stud with rattle gun till it stops, pick up torque wrench and turn "CLICK" Yep, just right....not. They last used the rattle gun on a semi and are now using it on an econocar without changing the setting. The "click" they hear jusst says it is tighted to AT LEAST the settting on the torque wrench, it doesn't tell them how much over tightened it was. I had a go around about that at myi local tire shop when I couldn't bust 'em loose on my F150 with the cruciform lug wrench and the tow driver had real struggle doing it wiht a long cheater bar.

Next flat I had, lo and behold they loosened up with normal pressure. Never got an apology though.

haha You do know the tire techs aren't certified to do anything thats why they work where they do.

The sad part is you spend alot on the tires themselves then you don't realize how much more they just cost you buy tourqing the bajesus out of it. I swear its to get you back in for a brake job and some new rims and a stud replacement.

I recently did some work on an old semi dump truck. I used a 5foot cheater bar a torch and snapped 2, 1/2inch drives before grabbing a 3/4 drive standing on it jumping at 200lbs. I don't have any 1inch air or tools but the tire boys do. even managed to break a stud in the process twisted clean off with so much tourque.

thought about hitting the tourque multiplier tool I have for cats its rated at over 2000ft/lbs but finally got that bugger off.

I argued and proved to the owner of a tire shop years ago how much his sticks where doing to my truck. I kept raising the tourque tell we saw it move it was either 20under or 40-70 over. He argued and argued with me and just said we'll put em on for you u do the rest he's dead now and the new owner is just as dumb as he was.

I don't do business with anyone that uses sticks and if I can't get the brand of tires I want TireRack with shipping and paying the goons at the tire shop is still cheaper then what they've quoted me and don't get me started about warranty they want to sell you a tire at thier cost i've learned. (also didn't anyone tell you about changing in pairs as thats always a line I hear for the less fortunate for an upsale but if its a warranty claim one new one on and 3 that are at 60-80%)

Recently i've noticed no tire shops want to repair a flat they tell you a story that the tire is ruined this isn't z rated or anything and tell them its a farm tire or whatever anyone else experience this?

To the OP you are a very lucky soul brakes and tires are the most redundant idiot proof job on the planet that a monkey could do but if done wrong you are dead. :rock:

PS CHECK YOUR NEW STUDS TOURQUE for awhile they will loosen and stretch slightly for the first 500miles.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back