Bailey's 2007 = DOLMAR!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hired Gun, thanks. I have been reading all the 5100 posts (search) and his name has come up often. I thought about it, I think he is about 90 miles away (what town is his shop in?).

I did pm another michigan dealer that visits this site, have yet to here from them (they are a little closer than Dave-I think).

Going to a dealer in about an hour. Just want to get a 5100 in my hands and see how it feels, trying to remain cool and calm and avoid the impulse buy, but I need it!

I will be considering the shop and it's ability to provide me with service and parts should the need arise, I'm not just considering the price of a saw as the most important factor, but I don't want to overpay either. Does that make sense? Thanks again, KD

KTOOM, Where in NY are you? I know for a fact that there are Dolmar dealers in NY. The Cutting Edge, an A/S sponsor is one, and there are others. Did you try the Dolmar dealer locator?

Yea i know where they are located, not to far from where i live in Albany. When im ready, im going to The Cutting Edge. I was only joking about what i said. I just couldn't believe that Baileys wasn't selling them any more...that quick!

So... is everyone saying that there is NO PLACE for internet sales of saws? For high-population-density areas, I'd agree. But out west here, I disagree. If there's no local dealer and no way to order one online, that's a lost sale for that brand, and another foot that didn't get into the door. So don't kid yourself, there are REAL consequences to running such tight restrictions on dealers. The first step in building a brand's reputation is to get your products into customer's hands. Without a sale, nothing else matters.

Case in point: We have one OPE dealer in town, he has Stihl. Service is good but expensive. His saw prices are a little above MSRP. Nearest Husky dealer is 60 miles north, I know nothing about them. Nearest Dolmar dealer is 60 miles south. He inflates Dolmar prices to match equivalent models in the Stihl line (he has both lines.) I detest that practice and won't give him any business because of it. And 60 miles isn't exactly convenient; for anything but major service, mail order will be more convenient.

So... I'm a perfect candidate for an online dealer.

Just got back from my closest Dolmar dealer. Did not have any 510's, had one 5100, and 2 other arborist sized (dolmar) saws stuck in a log in the back room.

Homelites from a hundred years ago scattered all over. No parts support seen, but very nice people.

The salesman/owner did fire up the 5100, sounded and felt good (no cutting). Watched the guy free rev the piss out of a cold first time ever fired up 5100. Did not buy. KD

I can see where their should be a price floor to make it fair for smaller dealers, but no mail order/internet sales is wrong. If big dealers cant under price the little guy and the buyer is willing to accept the possibile disadvantage/s of mail order whats the problem? The U.S. is for the most part a rural place and these are chainsaws. Lots of people that use them live in the woods away from populated areas.
Off topic but remember when Sears Robuck stopped their catalog sales. A lot of loyal customers never dealt with them again.

Hey Bigbore
How does that 5100s stack up to the 028Super?
My 028S is my favorite firewood saw and I'm looking at getting a 5100s.

Scoterbum,
The 028Super is like a wife, comfortable, familiar, and plenty of gusto to get the job done. The 5100 is like trying to keep up with a just come of age Nymph. I think you catch my drift especially when you realize I've been married for 23 years. Honestly no disrespect meant to anybody, I just thought it was a good analogy for any male to understand.Jay

KD460

I hear you. I also tried to get a Dolmar recently (2 mos ago). Ran into the same problem you did and decided to go with a different saw for now. Good Luck.

Jaxx

I called my Dolmar dealer Friday.

to get a quote on some parts. he called me back and said if I agreed to the price they would be here On Monday he was pretty sure. we will see monday.
I am hoping to put a wolf into sheeps clothing.. before the 27th.LOL

Paul, You are one of the few. Scott and Steve are the others. you guys seem to be the only guys that carry full line parts and seem to be able to get parts in a timely fashion. I would love to have one of you guys as my local dealer

FWIW, I have a Great local dealer. He has been selling them for a couple years now, and he has a problem getting parts. But, when he has to order parts, he orders extras.

My decal did not keep my saw from running, but when I ordered a 7900 piston/cylinder for my makita, it did keep my saw from running. It took 8 weeks to get to him...

my 5100 muffler took 9 weeks. The 7900 muffler took just shy of two months also.

As much as I don't like Ben Walker trashing the dolmar name, he is right with their parts situation. The Distribiution centers only seem to carry air filters and spark plugs...Seems they ought to carry more hard parts. If I smashed my saw and needed new plastic and a handle bar......

I honestly can't imagine relying on my pair of dolmars if they were the only ones I had . Saws that get used need parts every now and then. I love them, and praise them for what they are, but if they break, I would be out of commission for quite a while.

Like I said, I would love to have one of these stocking dealers locally, but it took going to 7-8 dealers before I found one that carried the 5100 and 7900....

Tell your dealer that if he calls his distributor they can check parts stock at other warehouses across the country. When we had that 9010 that ran on straight gas our distributor did not have all the parts in stock. But I called them up and they found the parts in stock in the Ohio warehouse and I had them the next day.

Steve

I can see where their should be a price floor to make it fair for smaller dealers, but no mail order/internet sales is wrong. If big dealers cant under price the little guy and the buyer is willing to accept the possibile disadvantage/s of mail order whats the problem? The U.S. is for the most part a rural place and these are chainsaws. Lots of people that use them live in the woods away from populated areas.
Off topic but remember when Sears Robuck stopped their catalog sales. A lot of loyal customers never dealt with them again.

Exactly!

Dolmar

I'm a big fan of Dolmar products, I appreciate what they are doing with the brick and mortor thing, but I have been to 4 dealers. One is an hour away and he didn't even know he was a dealer, the others are all 2 hours away, don't stock more than two products and don't know anything about their products. One of them carries chain, bars and misc accessories. I buy from one, because, he is a nice guy, gives me good prices, and I drive past him every couple of months on business.

I don't like the big box thing, I understand the Husky dealer/online sales issue, but I think it would be good for Dolmar to sale thru a true "forestry supply" operation like Bailey's. It adds credibility to the masses that know little about Dolmar, and is already a "one stop has all" supplier that many are going to regardless of what dealers are close. They have fair prices, are very knowledgable, if they make an error, it is quickly fixed. Not a bad org to be associated with. Put some constraints on them so they don't tank the local dealer (if you have one), don't give them special pricing, maybe let dealers that actually have brick and morter sale online/mail order. They would only get orders where Dolmar has no presence or has a poor dealer that is letting them down anyway. I think if pricing was fairly consistant (Husky is definitely not), most everyone would buy form the local dealer if they had one.

But all of this is moot if they are locked up with the B&S contract and no one is flexible. Again I understand why they did it, it is an instant network. I think they have tripled their dealers since signing. Maybe B&S and Dolmer could make a little more money with a little contract addendum.

Dolmar

I'm a big fan of Dolmar products, I appreciate what they are doing with the brick and mortor thing, but I have been to 4 dealers. One is an hour away and he didn't even know he was a dealer, the others are all 2 hours away, don't stock more than two products and don't know anything about their products. One of them carries chain, bars and misc accessories. I buy from one, because, he is a nice guy, gives me good prices, and I drive past him every couple of months on business.

I don't like the big box thing, I understand the Husky dealer/online sales issue, but I think it would be good for Dolmar to sale thru a true "forestry supply" operation like Bailey's. It adds credibility to the masses that know little about Dolmar, and is already a "one stop has all" supplier that many are going to regardless of what dealers are close. They have fair prices, are very knowledgable, if they make an error, it is quickly fixed. Not a bad org to be associated with. Put some constraints on them so they don't tank the local dealer (if you have one), don't give them special pricing, maybe let dealers that actually have brick and morter sale online/mail order. They would only get orders where Dolmar has no presence or has a poor dealer that is letting them down anyway. I think if pricing was fairly consistant (Husky is definitely not), most everyone would buy form the local dealer if they had one.

But all of this is moot if they are locked up with the B&S contract and no one is flexible. Again I understand why they did it, it is an instant network. I think they have tripled their dealers since signing. Maybe B&S and Dolmer could make a little more money with a little contract addendum.

Dolmar is very foolish IMO to stop Baileys form selling over the net. They have almost zero exposure and need every sale they can get.
There part and dealer network is a total joke and at least Baileys would be a decent outfit to deal with.
BTW me thinks the only Dolmar dealers worht a damn are located in NY.

Dolmar is very foolish IMO to stop Baileys form selling over the net. There part and dealer network is a total joke and at least Baileys would be a decent outfit to deal with.
QUOTE]

Well said. Bailey's has always been a class act and if their product support for Dolmar is in keeping with the way they've always done things it can't be anything but good. Bailey's could help establish Dolmar on the west coast. I run Stihl saws because I can get them worked on or get parts for them easily. I don't run Dolmar because I can't count on parts or repairs in a timely fashion. Down-time is expensive.

Well, so much for Free enterprise!!
I don't want to take away from the Dolmar dealers who stock parts, and saws, but a lot of the dealers just don't care and Dolmar seems to be saying "Oh thats ok, we'll protect you from any competition."

Hey, come to think of it this may not be such a bad deal. Maybe I can find a way to stop people from looking on the net to find other people in my area who cut trees, that would leave me with no competition other than the local guys. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

Andy

Well, so much for Free enterprise!!
I don't want to take away from the Dolmar dealers who stock parts, and saws, but a lot of the dealers just don't care and Dolmar seems to be saying "Oh thats ok, we'll protect you from any competition."

Hey, come to think of it this may not be such a bad deal. Maybe I can find a way to stop people from looking on the net to find other people in my area who cut trees, that would leave me with no competition other than the local guys. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

Andy

You bring up a good point Andy. :clap: I wonder if that would hold up in court.......

Could be interesting after the fact...cause if it were so, you could buy a stihl over the net too.......

At least for now, My Stihl Dealer doesn't let me down....

Latest posts

Back