Bailey's 2007 = DOLMAR!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty simple actually. Its called volume sales.

Sorry Ben, but you're ducking the question here. I'll try again.

Why do the big retailers I mentioned have no interest in the parts and service side of the business? With all of their "volume sales", they would be first in line for "volume" parts and service business, which you have stated is where the money is.

I prefer the 3/8" on the 5100S. To be honest, I prefer 3/8 pitch chain on ALL Dolmar saws but some people seem to really like the .325 on the PS-460.

I stock the following:

Saws:

ES-171, PS-341, PS-401, PS 460-16, PS-460-18, PS460A-18, PS-510A-18, PS-510A-20, PS-5100SA-18, PS-5100SA-20, 6400, 7900.

Trimmers:

LT-210, MS-22C (we stock quick load heads also), MS-251.4.

Power cutters:

PC-8140 (With diamond wheels)

Blowers:

PB-250.4, PB-500R

I have had interest in the 3410TH and plan to pull one into the shop in the spring. I'm excited about the new backpack blower. I'm curious to see how Dolmar advances into the new CARB and EPA regulations. We might see the 4-stroke saw a little sooner?

bwalker may be making a legitimate point about dealers not having enough stock. theres another dealer 12 miles from me that has one new saw in stock, a ps460.i stock 7 models and get next day delivery for what i don't have. but then i'm only 120 miles from the warehouse. if in some areas shipping is slow, it'll get better. setting up a net work good enough to appease eveyone won't be an easy task.

I agree. Right now I have 10 models of saws, plus bars and chains to make any available or optional bar length for any model. Plus I have a full selection of the handheld Dolmar equipment that sells well here.

I'm 86.2 miles from my distributor's closest warehouse but MWE has 4 warehouses to choose from. 1 day, 2 days and 3-4 days. I'm proud to be a Dolmar dealer and I know that ALL of my Dolmar customers are happy. I'll stand behind my Distributor until they stop standing behind me.

There is next day delivery to 98%? of the country. The other 2% is probably alaska & hawaii. If I need parts quicker they are about an hour drive from here.

We've been dealing with Dolmar & various distributors for almost 30 years and our support is better than ever.

On the parts issue we stock almost all the common wear items & crash parts. It dosen't matter if it's a $400-800 chain saw, a $9000 Zero Turn Mower, or $20,000 Tractor. Our dist parts fill rate has been very good for only being involved with Dolmar for 17 months.

Steve

I would be curious to know what position Stihl was in 30-40 yrs. or so ago when Homelite and Mac ruled the roost.

I have a feeling that they were like Dolmar is now!

If we were all in the same room instead of being on computers, it would be real quiet right now!

Just for shats and giggles this is what I have in my area for Dolmar dealers.

I live right at the RED DOT above Pittsburgh!

attachment.php

Last edited:
I would be curious to know what position Stihl was in 30-40 yrs. or so ago when Homelite and Mac ruled the roost.

I have a feeling that they were like Dolmar is now!

If we were all in the same room instead of being on computers, it would be real quiet right now!

I have 2 7900's and 2 5100's. I personally don't care if I have dealers nearby or not. But like my Signature says......That Is Just Me.......I work on my own saws and have enough saws that if one goes down I am not screwed. I definitely am the exception and not the rule!!!

Who knows if Dolmar will get things going..........it will take time!!!

Crickets chirping. Everyone looking around. Maybe a throat would clear.

I'm suprised that folks expect Dolmar to become huge overnight. Especially being that they've basically started over what 3 times in the last 20 years?

We'll see how it all develops, I'm sure that everyone can agree that Dolmar builds some pretty serious equipment with or without local dealer support.

Crickets chirping. Everyone looking around. Maybe a throat would clear.

I'm suprised that folks expect Dolmar to become huge overnight. Especially being that they've basically started over what 3 times in the last 20 years?

We'll see how it all develops, I'm sure that everyone can agree that Dolmar builds some pretty serious equipment with or without local dealer support.

As I stated several times before, here is my problem with Dolmar:

They make an awsome product, period!!! They came to the US and worked their tails off to set up a dealership network, had it in place and just as the name was making recognition and things were looking good for them, they pulled out?????? And nobody could find parts for these saws in the states.
Now, they want to do this all over again, and we are suposed to believe all is going to be fine and well just because Makita owns them now?
Sorry, I am skeptical!!
Andy

Andy,

You've hit the nail dead center on that post. I don't blame anyone for being gun-shy at this stage. Worst case scenario....Dolmar goes bancrupt and all our saws become collector's items!

As I stated several times before, here is my problem with Dolmar:

They make an awsome product, period!!! They came to the US and worked their tails off to set up a dealership network, had it in place and just as the name was making recognition and things were looking good for them, they pulled out?????? And nobody could find parts for these saws in the states.
Now, they want to do this all over again, and we are suposed to believe all is going to be fine and well just because Makita owns them now?
Sorry, I am skeptical!!
Andy

Exactly! I remember several years back that my grandpa bought a new Sachs-Dolmar saw from a local dealer. Seemed like a pretty decent saw, but shortly after the dealer closed shop and nobody knew anyplace else that sold them. Needless to say, that meant that the warranty was toilet paper, and we weren't going to be able to get parts and service. After a few years of the saw sitting around unused, it found a new home. Sure it was a good saw, but if you don't have dealer support or a ready source for parts when you need them, you might as well not own it at all.

I don't really have anything against Stihl and their equipment. My closest dealer doesn't follow my line of thinking as far as "service"{ is concerned but he has his own business to run.

I think it's more towards the fact that Stihl and Dolmar are very similar in many ways.

Quality, power, easy maintenance, not selling through mass-merchants, etc.

It just eats at me the way that people compare Dolmar to Stihl in one aspect then totally ignore the rest of the argument. Dolmar as we know it today is only 15 or 16 years in the making. They re-structured everything in the early 90's and again in 2005-2006. People expect overnight change. I have a lot of old timers that laugh about how back in the day if you said you had a Stihl saw....they'd ask if it was really heavy and why wasn't it made out of aluminum and by the way....what's the brand?

I see good and bad in every product line but I throw Husky out of the running because they sold out their dealers for marginal gains at the Box Stores.

The way I see it, it's more about a manufacturer being loyal to its dealer network than anything else. If Dolmar dumps on the dealers...i'll throw their saws in the dumpster and look for another line. They haven't done it to me yet so that's why we sell them.

And now I'll get off my soap-box.

I like your train of thought, But before you throw those saws in the dumpster call Me.

Dolmar 5100s

I just recieved my new bailey's catalog and saw that they sell dolmar and wanted a 5100s so i looked on their website and did not see it listed so i called them they informed me that these dolmar saw were not good sellers.
He also had to check on if he could sell the only one left in stock to me
So i bought it and it should be ariving in a week
I cant wait
Im used to using a jonsered 520sp and husky 55 classic for about 5 cords a year and was wondering how the 5100 will compare

Thanks

Perhaps outside of this site, the Dolmar name is not that well recognized yet. You Dealers that sell more than one line, how many Dolmars's do you sell for every one Husky or Sthil sold? Is Dolmar on GSA Contract?

We are just hoping that parts and saws are available with few backorders and that they work on a big saw to replace the 9010.

We only took on the Dolmar line a few months back and have had a lot of interest and some guys have been wwanting to switch totally over to them.

My wharehouse is only 3 miles away so parts can be had same day as long as the distributor has them.

The only problem I see right now is the new saws I have ordered have been generally old models. Mostly from 2005.

It fits a nich between/against the Stihls and Huskys and I am excited to see what I can do with them this next year.

Just for shats and giggles this is what I have in my area for Dolmar dealers.

I live right at the RED DOT above Pittsburgh!

attachment.php

Call them and see what they stock (saws and parts). I did and ended up buying a Stihl MS361. That was about a week ago.

If I had a local guy (within 30 minutes drive) that fully supported the Dolmar line, I would have purchased the 7900. That type of dealer does not exist in this (Pittsburgh) market.

Latest posts

Back