Bandmill anyone???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeigler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone here in Central PA have a portable bandmill? Interested in striking a deal for cutting some logs? :chainsaw:

If no one here pops up, you can go to the woodmizer site, they have a program to get sawyers together with customers...failing that, PM me and I will get you in touch with the Pa. WM rep...

Thanks... I thought about the WM website as my Uncle has a woodmizer.

My uncle came to look at the 60 or so logs I have and doesn't want to cut me a "family" break. He says he can do it for approx $3000-4000. That's a little out of my budget. I didn't expect free but come on.

Anyway enough ranting... I might need to find someone with a CSM also due to the size of some of the logs. He has an LT40HD and can only saw up approx 36". I have a few logs that are around 40" and up, probably 5 or so.

The large ones are elm and a few pine.

Even if someone were able to slab the logs for me so that i could stack and sticker them and cut them into 2 by lumber on the table saw would be fine for me.

Like i said in the earlier post... willing to strike a deal with some of the lumber too.

I am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Gracious! 3-4k?!? how much do you have?

For a sawing bill that big ya might as well bite the bullet and buy yerself a mill...:popcorn:

I'm with zopi. I charge $60 per hour. Without seeing the logs, an exact estimate is difficult, but sixty 30" logs would take me approximately 20 hours (give or take) to grade saw at 4/4. The oversize ones can be split with black powder and put on the WM. I would have quoted you half what your loving Uncle did.

Don't mean to change the subject, but if you can end up with one plank that is 36" wide X 3" X 10' with natural edges, I have a customer in Pa looking for it right now and he isn't particular on what kind of wood.

Don't mean to change the subject, but if you can end up with one plank that is 36" wide X 3" X 10' with natural edges, I have a customer in Pa looking for it right now and he isn't particular on what kind of wood.

10' might be pushing it on the length, but i can make you the slab... if i get someone in to cut it. i have spruce, douglas fir and elm.

I have to measure them anyway to see how many bd feet i have.

Gracious! 3-4k?!? how much do you have?

For a sawing bill that big ya might as well bite the bullet and buy yerself a mill...:popcorn:

I have about 60 logs ranging anywhere from 12" in diameter up to around 40".

My Uncle wants me to get the bd ft of each log...(average that is) and multiply that by 25 cents per bd ft to mill it. he said i was looking at 3-4 thousand to mill it and by just measuring a few and averaging it out to 50 logs at around 300 bd ft a log... price comes to about $3750.

He said it would take about 4 good days to mill it all averaging 12-15 logs per day.

Believe me i thought about the mill idea, but i think my wife would hit the roof. she was pretty close when i told her what my uncle quoted me.

Gotta love family! :confused: :dizzy:

I'm with zopi. I charge $60 per hour. Without seeing the logs, an exact estimate is difficult, but sixty 30" logs would take me approximately 20 hours (give or take) to grade saw at 4/4. The oversize ones can be split with black powder and put on the WM. I would have quoted you half what your loving Uncle did.

Well, if you get bored sometime and want to take a trip to PA... let me know.

like i said, i am willing to strike a deal if someone needs some lumber too!

I have about 60 logs ranging anywhere from 12" in diameter up to around 40".

My Uncle wants me to get the bd ft of each log...(average that is) and multiply that by 25 cents per bd ft to mill it. he said i was looking at 3-4 thousand to mill it and by just measuring a few and averaging it out to 50 logs at around 300 bd ft a log... price comes to about $3750.

He said it would take about 4 good days to mill it all averaging 12-15 logs per day.

Believe me i thought about the mill idea, but i think my wife would hit the roof. she was pretty close when i told her what my uncle quoted me.

Gotta love family! :confused: :dizzy:

yer going at it the wrong way...gotta make sure she knows how much stuff you can build >for her< with all that wood..<G> Kinda the effect of if you mill for a man, he will build for awhile...if you teach him to mill, he will build for life...or at least have a nice colletion of pretty wood...:clap:

yer going at it the wrong way...gotta make sure she knows how much stuff you can build >for her< with all that wood..<G> Kinda the effect of if you mill for a man, he will build for awhile...if you teach him to mill, he will build for life...or at least have a nice colletion of pretty wood...:clap:

That might not be too bad... Then i would need a bigger Garage to keep it under roof and a bigger shed for all the pretty wood. lol. Maybe just a whole new builing to keep it all together.

That might not be too bad... Then i would need a bigger Garage to keep it under roof and a bigger shed for all the pretty wood. lol. Maybe just a whole new builing to keep it all together.

yeah, but the catch is, you mill all the wood for the shed...then the siding,
and of course you need a gazebo for those summer evening barbeques...(hickory slabs=good BBQ..) sawdust to mulch dear wifeys azaleas,
and of course the wood panelling for the dining room...never ends..:givebeer:

Try the want ad section of Lancaster farming

Farm newspaper out of Ephrata, usually there is a mill or 2 for sale, and a guy or 2 who advertises traveling sawmill services.:givebeer:

yeah, but the catch is, you mill all the wood for the shed...then the siding,
and of course you need a gazebo for those summer evening barbeques...(hickory slabs=good BBQ..) sawdust to mulch dear wifeys azaleas,
and of course the wood panelling for the dining room...never ends..:givebeer:

As nice as that sounds and would be...

besides not be able to afford that right now, not mentioning now trying to afford someone coming and milling it for me...

I wouldn't get anything else done, no time for my wife and kids and would probably end up in divorce.

Farm newspaper out of Ephrata, usually there is a mill or 2 for sale, and a guy or 2 who advertises traveling sawmill services.:givebeer:

i will have to check that out... thanks! do they have it online or is it something i will have to look for?

LF online

I think they have an online version, but you can only look at the want ads if you have a paid subscription. The whole deal with this paper is that you get one free want or for sale ad per month, if you subscribe. When you subscribe, be sure to do it in your own name, not co. name, or that freebie ad policy does not apply.:blob5: :blob2:

As nice as that sounds and would be...

besides not be able to afford that right now, not mentioning now trying to afford someone coming and milling it for me...

I wouldn't get anything else done, no time for my wife and kids and would probably end up in divorce.

i'm a lucky one...my wife likes good wood,(shuttup you..) and the kids like
to run the mill...:clap:

i'm a lucky one...my wife likes good wood,(shuttup you..) and the kids like
to run the mill...:clap:

Well, she does like the lumber that it would produce... just the time it takes at the mill is what she doesn't.

as far as good wood... she likes that too! lol.:jawdrop:

my kids are 1, 5, and 7... they like playing and just getting into everything to check it out right now. i don't make them help too much. The two older ones really do help a lot though!

Here are some of the logs... I have another 50 or so on top of these.

Anyone intereted in helpin' a brother out??? lol.

518891a.jpg

Back