Bang4yourbuck&Hp/wt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndsman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am sure this has been posted but, I ask, as of this date, what are the best saws on the market for limbing and then another as a pretty heavy duty saw for felling. I have a 460 I have been using for a heavy and have used several saws around 13.5# and 3.5 Hp as limbers. Spare me the jabs. I just found about this site. What are your thoughts... never mind. What are your gut feelings and loves in the saw world with these parameters?

372 xp and 395 xp is my wood weapons!
By the way welcome to this site, now run before your addicted
and remember you will thank me in a month for giving you good
advice and have remorse for not listening:laugh:

Last edited:
A 460 and a 200t are the only 2 saws you need.:greenchainsaw:

Thats how it all starts but who said anything about needs :laugh:
I am certain you are right but a 346 xp and 372 xp user could say the same!
Anyway I have four more saws than I need with help from this site and
don't get me wrong I am not complaining!

I have a 440 w/ 24" bar, 260 w/ 18" & 16" bars and 170 w/ 12" bar. The 260 gets most of my work and the 440 is for stump cuts and log cutting primarily. Up in the tree I love the 170. Very light and easy to use plus its the same handling configuration as the bigger saws so theres no "learning" to cut with the 200 or 192. Plus the 170 is half the cost of the other tree saws.

I am sure this has been posted but, I ask, as of this date, what are the best saws on the market for limbing and then another as a pretty heavy duty saw for felling. I have a 460 I have been using for a heavy and have used several saws around 13.5# and 3.5 Hp as limbers. Spare me the jabs. I just found about this site. What are your thoughts... never mind. What are your gut feelings and loves in the saw world with these parameters?

If you want to stay Pro Stihl, then a 260 and a 660. The 460 will fit right between them nicely.

260 pro or the 361. The 361 is more of a single saw do it all saw though. Thats why i say the 260 good power and nice size. If you are used to 13.5 lbs you could drop over a pound and pick up 1.5hp with the MS361. The 361 will scream with a muff mod and 16inch bar. Great if you don't mind the weight.

My favorite limbing and all around saw (most of what I do for myself is firewood) is an older 044 w/ 20" bar and a dual port muffler which notably seemed to help it scream. I recently bought a new Makita 6401 which is smoother and has more likable air filter system, but when hoisting and swinging the saw up off the ground limbing the 044 feels significantly better to me. Bucking they feel about the same but of course the 044 is more cc and has the more power. Since I've run a few tanks through the 6401 the power feels like its getting better, not that far behind the 044. I paid less then $370 w/shpng (ebay) for the 6401 so I'd say a lot of bang for the buck for a new saw. May even upgrade it with an 80 + cc big bore when baileys gets them. Looks like the 6401 is selling for more now.
I try to have my ms660 with when cutting big stuff and I usually have an 026 and or a tophandle saw with that I use when there is a lot of small stuff or cutting stuff low to the ground where I drive. The shorter bars and chain are easier to maintain when cutting ground level.

Latest posts

Back