Bar and Chain Craze

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm - that sounds like an odd theory - the common reason for a larger sprocket not working well is that there will be less torque on the chain (and more friction as long as the chain speed is higher), so it drags the rpm of the saw down too much.

Anyway - running the saw at partial throttle is bad for the saw, as it will tend to run lean.

It does not run lean on my mill Niko ,i can pull the muffler cover and it is nice and oily in there ,i run 32 to 1 ,and my plug is a nice brown color when i check it ,maybe the hard load of milling pulls more fuel ,i go through a tank of fuel on 2-3 passes on a 20 inch wide log ,i keep a sharp chain at all times to ,and let it feed on it's own ,i do not go overboard with my rakers also ,keep them at .025

Maybe I'm doing it wrong mister, but we throw big chips round here

Well in hardwood you get maybe 3/4" long chips. In softwood with square ground I've got 3" long chips cross cutting.

It does not run lean on my mill Niko ,i can pull the muffler cover and it is nice and oily in there ,i run 32 to 1 ,and my plug is a nice brown color when i check it ,maybe the hard load of milling pulls more fuel ,i go through a tank of fuel on 2-3 passes on a 20 inch wide log ,i keep a sharp chain at all times to ,and let it feed on it's own ,i do not go overboard with my rakers also ,keep them at .025

"Running lean" has to do with the air to fuel mix, not the amount of oil present.

More oil in the fuel mix actually makes it run even leaner, with the same carb setting, as the oil displaces fuel.
What I am not sure of is if the extra oil can offset the possible damage, and to which degree...

Anyway, we are well off topic in this thread - maybe you should start a new thread, on the topic of running at partial throttle?

"Running lean" has to do with the air to fuel mix, not the amount of oil present.

More oil in the fuel mix actually makes it run even leaner, with the same carb setting, as the oil displaces fuel.
What I am not sure of is if the extra oil can offset the possible damage, and to which degree...

Anyway, we are well off topic in this thread - maybe you should start a new thread, on the topic of running at partial throttle?

That is a train wreck waiting to happen :laugh:

20" stihl vs 20" sugi vs stihl 25" on 660. 25" was fastest and felt nicer to cut with than the 20s - smoother maybe? Just felt nicer to cut with.

can get a set of diamond files on ebay for about $15. It's about $1 per DL ie. 20" loop new runs about $80, 25" loop about 90ish.

right now I'm actually taking apart a 36" loop of the stuff and making it into a half skip carbide chain to test out in my up coming 36" chain test.

In my experience with skip v full comp, skip makes a huge difference if you are cutting where the tip is not exposed. If the bar is burried, skip definitely clears out better and does not bind up as much or at all usually. I run one of my MS460's with a 25" bar and 33RSF with an 8 pin. If I switch to RS, I go back to the 7 pin. It limbs a lot nicer when I'm running skip if I run an 8T rim vs the 7T. Pick your poison...They all make chips when sharp.

-AJ

In my experience with skip v full comp, skip makes a huge difference if you are cutting where the tip is not exposed. If the bar is burried, skip definitely clears out better and does not bind up as much or at all usually. I run one of my MS460's with a 25" bar and 33RSF with an 8 pin. If I switch to RS, I go back to the 7 pin. It limbs a lot nicer when I'm running skip if I run an 8T rim vs the 7T. Pick your poison...They all make chips when sharp.

-AJ
I agree. With the nose buried full skip works much better. At least in redwood and D-fir and the Sierra pines.

I agree. With the nose buried full skip works much better. At least in redwood and D-fir and the Sierra pines.

It basically will cut 1/3 slower though, unless something makes up for that differense. Several things partially does, but I am not sure the overall performance does.

It basically will cut 1/3 slower though, unless something makes up for that differense. Several things partially does, but I am not sure the overall performance does.

I understand you are a wealth of knowledge and have much more street cred here than I, however buck up a 50"+ Sugar berry with a 36" bar and tell me full comp works better and cuts faster.;) Full skip equiped saw will be on the next cut while full comp guy is losing the race trying to free his wadded up tight chain. It may not win a cookie eating contest but in the real world of working, skip is a very useful option. Lets face it, how many times can you really buck a round that large without stopping to wedge anyway. Especially if somebody is trying to run a really long bar on a smaller powerhead. It alleviates a lot of stress on the saw by not taking as much wood at a clip and letting the saw maintain it's proper RPM range more easily. Not just my opinion, this has been my experience.

-AJ

Back