Bar Damage - You be the Judge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskers

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here's some pics of a 42" cannon bar I recently purchased off ebay...Groan...I know, I know, don't do it. He said the tip wasn't in that great of shape, but assured me the rails were in fine shape. Well it showed up today, and I'm not that happy, but I haven't dealt with a lot of bar damage. The rails by the tip are chipped and worn pretty good, which I assumed would not be considering my line of questioning. My intention was to run this bar on a mill with my 084, but I'm affraid it will just eat up my chains...What say you? Can it be fixed?

View attachment 256546View attachment 256548View attachment 256550View attachment 256551

PS: I must be an idiot because I can't figure out how to get the images to show up.

256550d1349829977-img_0720-jpg
Here's some pics of a 42" cannon bar I recently purchased off ebay...Groan...I know, I know, don't do it. He said the tip wasn't in that great of shape, but assured me the rails were in fine shape. Well it showed up today, and I'm not that happy, but I haven't dealt with a lot of bar damage. The rails by the tip are chipped and worn pretty good, which I assumed would not be considering my line of questioning. My intention was to run this bar on a mill with my 084, but I'm affraid it will just eat up my chains...What say you? Can it be fixed?

View attachment 256546View attachment 256548View attachment 256550View attachment 256551

PS: I must be an idiot because I can't figure out how to get the images to show up.

256546d1349829794-img_0722-jpg

That sucks. Ask for refund.
256548d1349829883-img_0719-jpg

256551d1349830044-img_0721-jpg

Yeah, the bar balances on edge just fine, and the rest of the rails look fine, it's the transition from the bar to the tip that's the only place that's all screwed up. I'm just trying to figure out what I should do with it.

No Way..I'd run that bar..!! - Especially on a mill..!!

Send it back to the seller for refund..and just 'eat' the return shipping cost.

You ain't gonna like the cost of replacing chains..which that bar will likely make you do..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Maybe I missed what you paid for the bar.

If it was a smoke'n good deal, I'd consider running it and see how it goes.

If the agreement was no rail damage on the main part of the bar, the pics definitely show some owies.

$68 for the bar and told me rails were great shape. Which I would consider a pretty sweet deal, but not if its going to tear up 84 inches of brand new chain

Wow, the first two threads I read on this site were ebay seller issues. The other thread was a saw, bought in running order for $300 and on arrival it topped out at 90 pounds compression.

In buying and shipping saws and blades on ebay you have to deal with the robber barons, UPS, on returns in addition to fighting with sellers.

Please don't let the seller get by with misrepresenting and selling defective merchandise. It only encourages them. I'm sorry you got short sold.

I'm sure you want to get cracking on milling, what a PITA.

I'm guessing there were no pics of this before the transaction?

If you have emails of the correspondence, and it's not worth investigating having someone repair, I'd see about getting this back to the seller.

Again, I don't know the prices of this type of bar. If it was a good enough deal, it might be worth giving it a try with one chain.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you couldn't see any of the damage in the pics. He mentioned tip damage, and that's when I asked about the rails through email before the purchase, and he told me they were in great shape.

Here's the original ebay listing...I'm not trying to call the seller out in any way, he actually seemed like a great guy. I guess we just had a different interpretation of what good rails look like. The listing mentioned that bad tip, that's why I asked about the rails. In asking about the rails in my mind that would include anything from tip to tail that wasn't part of the replaceable tip.

Ebay Listing

Kind of funny to me that the tip that has "some wear" as quoted by the add is not in the photo. JMO but the seller was hiding the damage. Your going to be out more $ in shipping then the item if you send it back.

live and learn i guess, lucky it was only $50 ... its a gamble anytime when your paying little amount for 2nd hand ...especially on Fleabay.

Id try and grind it out to level, try not to make a belly along the rails, start halfway down the bar and grind to the tip, and the tip. ...if there's plenty of depth for the drive tang, should be okay

Looked at the listing. Looks like a nice fresh coat of Tremclad spray bomb paint on it, with just the right texture to look kinda new. Notice he put a chain over it for the pic, hmmm.....

However, the thing looks not too bad. If it were my deal and I had boards to rip, I'd try to dress it as much as possible with a file, keeping the file perfectly square to the bar. Draw file it down its length with a NEW Mill Bastard file, then an Axe file to finish. If you get the worst areas down to about 50% of what they were (wider chain seating area) you should be alright. It doesn't need to be perfect, it is a wear item, after all.

A little emery cloth to clean up the edges and groove, and rip away.

Looking at it again, it appears there's plenty of depth for the tang if I do a bit of grinding. Still not sure how 1 of the four sides entering the tip is going to turn out. If I take down the rails at the tip quite a bit, do I just take down the tip to match? I guess I'll mess around with it and see what I get. This is a older cannon bar that takes the oregon 3 rivet tip. Does anyone know if I can grind it down a bit and use the Oregon slimline 3/8 tip, or will the rivet holes not match up?

Might depend on whether you're changing out the tip first. If so, do it now. Then you'll have a better idea on how they're going to match up, and how badly worn the bar is, using the new tip as reference. If you're confident that the tip will last for a little while before jamming up, then maybe it's worth dressing it with the bar.

Check on a replacement tip and just sit it over the old one for comparison. You'll get the answer right there.

Latest posts

Back