Bar length, chain skip and chisel...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.hiles

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So over the past year or so I guess you could say I’ve gotten the chainsaw addiction. Been working on cars and motors for many years and worked as a mechanic for a number of years as well. I no longer do that but enjoy tinkering on different things and right now it’s chainsaws.
In the midst of this I’ve done a lot of reading and watching videos. FYI I live in Central NC. I have figured out the west coast guys like their long bars and chainsaw that aren’t recommended for bar that long haha.
Now I have a few different questions/theory’s in my head? Y’all can tell me if I’m wrong and I won’t be offended either. Now let’s say you have an 026 or something similar is the 50cc range. Now most would say the best suited bar would be a 16-18”. know lets say you put a 25” bar with full chisel Non-skip on these same saw. If you where only cutting trees 16” and smaller that longer bar wouldn’t affect the saw correct? Now if you were so cut something in the 20” plus range that’s when the strain on the saw comes in right? Is that where a 25” bar with a full skip would help that saw?

Again excuse me if it sounds like jibberish I just want to hear what others think and have experienced.

Yes the bigger the log the more cutters are in contact with wood causing resistance, drag on the motor. The extra length of chain causes some extra drag as well. Properly oiled drag is reduced. Having a sharp chain and the proper depth gauge set works out the best.

Some saws oil pump is only designed to efficiently oil a bar and chain to a determined length. Can get by in a pinch for short term bigger bar on smaller saw.

Yea having less cutters in a big log with a low cc saw helps with chip clean out, less resistance. The thought sounds solid, but your mileage may vary.

In your example, you say that the longer bar won't "affect the saw" if you're cutting the same small material. I'd mostly agree in terms of cutting speed, though I'd point out that the long bar may put quite a bit more force on the A/V system than the saw is designed for. But yeah, if you're talking about an 026, I think you could put a 25" lightweight bar on it and be "okay".

Back