Bar paint?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do paints in the european marketplace compare to US paints? Do you guys have rustoleum and stuff or is the EU all over the VOCs?

How do paints in the european marketplace compare to US paints? Do you guys have rustoleum and stuff or is the EU all over the VOCs?

I can't say for sure in relation to a comparison 'tween US and Euro paints as I'm totally unfamiliar with US paints.

No "rustoleum" brand available here but there are many primers.

Euro zone if just about full of rules and regs. on paints and applications etc.

Im not sure if Halfords or woodies stock rustoleum one of them has it also take a look at plasti-kote from the same folk or I seem to recall someone here saying Ford tractor grey is a good match and you should be able to get that at Quinn's at Battlinglass ? Or the paint dealers near me in Stepaside import rustoleum and also mix very high quality paint at good prices if you need a number give me a shout .

This is how I restore a bar. I first make sure the rails are good, if not it goes on mt 12" disc bench sander. I then use paint stripper to remove all the old paint. I use a 12 wire wheel on the bench sanders other end to help removal of old paint. After the bar is completely clean and smooth I hang it up and wipe it down with acetone and then take a small propane torch and heat the bar up until all moisture is removed. While it is still hot I prime it with A good quality primer. After the primer is on I heat the bar again for about a minute with the torch. I make sure the primer is dry, then I use white Rustoleum appliance epoxy paint. I give it 2 coats and let it dry. The next day I get my Stihl stencil out and apply the Stihl logo back on the bar with any quality black paint. I sometimes use a Stihl orange color for the logo just to be different. I some times bake the bar in the my lady's oven when I can get away with it, but I really don't see much difference whether I bake it or not. I use silver appliance epoxy paint on non Stihl bars. The epoxy paint does hold up better than regular enamel, but still, all paint will wear in time.

Last edited:
Hmmmm that's got me thinking, how about getting it chrome plated I'll bet that would look cool and probably last well too!

Just my $.02 worth ...

I use acetone (or nail polish remover) with a twist. I apply the fluid,m then cover with kitchen plastic wrap for about fifteen minutes. Take off the plastic, then scrape the paint right off with one of those little razor blade paint scrapers. Follow-up with acetone on super fine steel wool.

For paint, I'll use primer / metalflake / clear enamel in thin light coats and bake the bar with one of those halogen work lights or with an old heat lamp I found in a garage sale.

.... but I am really intrigued by that chrome idea! We have a chrome shop about an hour away and I may call them!

This is how I restore a bar. I first make sure the rails are good, if not it goes on mt 12" disc bench sander. I then use paint stripper to remove all the old paint. I use a 12 wire wheel on the bench sanders other end to help removal of old paint. After the bar is completely clean and smooth I hang it up and wipe it down with acetone and then take a small propane torch and heat the bar up until all moisture is removed. While it is still hot I prime it with A good quality primer. After the primer is on I heat the bar again for about a minute with the torch. I make sure the primer is dry, then I use white Rustoleum appliance epoxy paint. I give it 2 coats and let it dry. The next day I get my Stihl stencil out and apply the Stihl logo back on the bar with any quality black paint. I sometimes use a Stihl orange color for the logo just to be different. I some times bake the bar in the my lady's oven when I can get away with it, but I really don't see much difference whether I bake it or not. I use silver appliance epoxy paint on non Stihl bars. The epoxy paint does hold up better than regular enamel, but still, all paint will wear in time.
Where did you find the Stihl stencil?

Stihl Stencil ...

Hey Chris - I did some searching for stencils online .... there are places that will make one for you, but here is the catch ..... Everything is good, but the FONT must be matched .... I have talked to some friends, they suggested making a tracing off a real bar and contacting a local shop.

Again, my $.02 ..... :rockn:

Thanks DaveK

Last time I was in Halfords(I think in Clondalkin) they had some paint, but none of it looked very familiar to me. Woodies had a larger selection there on long mile near the big roundabout. I haven't check the DIY for paint in Tallaght, but they seemed to have a good selection of everything else(and I wasn't stabbed while browsing it either, so good times). The prices were absolutely outrageous compared to the states, though. And none of that spray can stuff will last long in Irish hardwoods, I would guess. Is there anyone wicklow way that could powder coat for ya? There seem to be a few body shops in Dublin 12 area that might can help you.

Quinns, as in Super Quinn, actually stock paint? Wow, wish I knew that, I visited the one in, uh, Lucan often coz I hated the Tesco's in Tallaght.

Last edited:
Ive done a couple of bars with Halford Appliance Paint (for washing machines etc) Couple of coats of that stuff and it never comes off great paint. I normally just use paint stripper and clean the rails up before painting the bar. Everybody finds their own little technique in the end.

Simon

Slick idea

Hmmmm that's got me thinking, how about getting it chrome plated I'll bet that would look cool and probably last well too!

Proly expensive, but would make a spiffy looking bar, and might last longer. Might have to clean out inside the rails before using though if it adds too much thickness, but maybe it would compensate for previous wear and come out closer to new!

Yes probably is a bit pricey ! there's a black and white Dolmar on flebay at the moment would look great cleaned up, with one!

coming back to original post, I've used stove paint on some bars, it's hard wearing and heat proof too

Latest posts

Back