Bar Quality:Best Low profile (LP) bars for Dolmar/Makita

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3/8 chain isn't 0.375" pitch. 1640 drive links per 100 feet. 0.367 might be it. 61 drive links is a common Stihl length. Brand x is 62. called length 18"

I brought up the hard nose because they can be made with quality materials.
3/8 pitch is the same as .375 pitch? 3 divided by 8 = .375

The decimal conversion of 3/8 is indeed 0.375. Calling the chain pitch for 3/8 out to 3 decimal points is inaccurate. 1/4 and .325 pith are exact. I do not know why. Generally the spacing at the cutter is more than the spacing at the tie strap, so two rivet spacings is used. If you do the arithmetic for links per 100 feet you will see.

Even a new chain can have different lengths if the play at the bushings is pushed tight vs stretched out. I would guess the real pitch is when the bushing is centered in the tie strap hole.

See post 10. What manufacturer (not internet user) calls out the bar for .375 pitch. You just need to understand 3/8lp or picco in Stihl or sometimes called 3/8 reduced vs the 3/8 for 50 to 100cc saws.

How did you make out with Cannon and a bar to fit 56dl loops?

Having never done this, just grab a Stihl 16” inch 3/8 LP bar and have a guy make it fit? Voila?
I took a stihl 3/8" picco (it's their low pro version.) And drilled out the tensioner hole and a new oil hole for my redmax/zenoah. The bar slot was the right size already, was easier then trying to find another bar that fit an obscure model of saw. Plus side is uts git a nice stihl bar on it now, so it will last a long time.

See post 10. What manufacturer (not internet user) calls out the bar for .375 pitch. You just need to understand 3/8lp or picco in Stihl or sometimes called 3/8 reduced vs the 3/8 for 50 to 100cc saws.

How did you make out with Cannon and a bar to fit 56dl loops?
Botb cannon and GB haven’t returned my emails. Cannon may have one that they describe as a firewood and arborist bar because of the small tip i think, I want a bigger nose.

Cannon has a bunch of bars labeled.375.

"Best" is a quite relative term.
Assuming that OP is searching for a robust 16"LP laminated bar,meaning one that has hard to wear rails ,that should be either a Tsumura with heat treated rails of 61-62 Rockwell hardness
( HRC ) or a Sugihara with 60-61 HRC rails.

Stihl laminated bars have softer rails with a hardness of 57-58 HRC.

Oregon laminated 3/8" LP bars have even more soft rails of 54-55 HRC.

Corrosion resistance-wise
Stihl and Oregon bars seem to be
quite resistant to rust
(possibly due to higher Chromium content),as opposed to the high carbon steel used in the manufacture of the japanese Tsumura & Sugihara bars,which seem to rust rather quicker /easier.

"Best" is a quite relative term.
Assuming that OP is searching for a robust 16"LP laminated bar,meaning one that has hard to wear rails ,that should be either a Tsumura with heat treated rails of 61-62 Rockwell hardness
( HRC ) or a Sugihara with 60-61 HRC rails.

Stihl laminated bars have softer rails with a hardness of 57-58 HRC.

Oregon laminated 3/8" LP bars have even more soft rails of 54-55 HRC.

Corrosion resistance-wise
Stihl and Oregon bars seem to be
quite resistant to rust
(possibly due to higher Chromium content),as opposed to the high carbon steel used in the manufacture of the japanese Tsumura & Sugihara bars,which seem to rust rather quicker /easier.

Makita makes the saw and Oregon and woodland pro have bars. May have seen one from Carlton but it didn’t look any better

Early this morning oregonproducts.com website had no bars available for the makita 4300 . This evening oregonproducts.com lists 4 bars for your saw that are A041 mount .
Scott

Mostly Stihl bars reg 3/8 and the 3/8 LP too
Im running 90 percent Stihls an one Dolmar that has an Oregon bar. I just bought some Tsumara bars recently. But I dont grease any of them keem the groove and the oil hole cleen and bar oil will lubricate it.
It looks like Stihl makes only one 16” bar for 3/8 LP .050

Back