Bar Worn Stihl MS280??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieselscout80

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl MS280 with a factory Stihl 18" bar. The is worn so there is a lip on the edge. I thought a remembered that the lip could be removed by draw filing the, but my bar seems to be hard enough that a file won't cut it. How should I remove the lip or should I just keep using it since it still cuts good with a sharp chain?

Your local Stihl Dealer may have a bar dressing file and holder on the Shelf.I have seen them at my Local Stihl Dealer.If they dont have one Baileys has the Pferd Brand.I have one of the Pferd Brand ones they do a great Job but are kind of a pain to keep together.could just be because my hands don't work like they used too.
Get that Burr off your bar and you will see a Huge difference.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. I found a few threads on "Bar Dressing" that helped. I saw in these threads that the Stihl bars are very hard and a file may not work.

View attachment 268561

I have never had any problem filing off "wire edges" on Stihl bars with a 8" raker file. If you have neglected maintenanse and let it get really bad, a belt sander or something like that may be more effective though (I haven't used one, just read about it).

Mechanical means like a grindstone mounted on a table saw will true that type of damage up on a chainbar. There are specialty bar dressing machines out there but most likely to be found at speciality repair shops. It will take a lot of handfiling to remove that much damage from a hardened chainbar. The metal gets even harder from the heat created over time on a chainbar to an extent that a hand file no matter how good of a quality won`t touch it.

I have salvaged several Stihl bars with a Bailey's Pferd bar shaper. Mount the bar in a bench vise, and have at it. I also use brown Scotch Brite by 3M on a rotary tool to put a very slight chamfer on the edges. People give me there junk bars, I clean them up, and I have more bars than I can use. Stihl, Oregon, Carlton, etc... the Pferd tool will cut that edge off and square the rails making them cut like crazy.

I have never had any problem filing off "wire edges" on Stihl bars with a 8" raker file. If you have neglected maintenanse and let it get really bad, a belt sander or something like that may be more effective though (I haven't used one, just read about it).

That will work my friend but one word of caution. The sparks created can and will catch any wood dust and the dust bag on fire, remove the dust bag from the belt sander before sanding metal,..don`t ask how I know...

I stapled a 3"x24" sanding belt to a 1"x4" and then sanded the bar on that. It only took a about six swipes to remove the bur.

I have a big pecan tree to cut up for fire wood.

Back