Barber chair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bitzer did an excellent write up on this maybe a year and a half back, maybe June or so of 15'. Don't recall the name of the thread though.
What was I talking about? I don't recall. I did an entire thread on advanced cuts on another site with pics and videos. It didn't get as much play as I would have liked for the effort. There wasn't a lot of back discussion. I've thought about doing it here but I really need the time and the energy and this time of year I don't have either. Racing the sun right now to finish a swamp. We need cold.

Most important piece of advice ever- Look up!

I'm glad to know what the Johnny hold me tight entails.
absolutely! Some steps a pro may need to miss when overcoming a falling difficulty.
But not looking up, is NEVER one of them.

* IDK why I could not figure out I could draw something take a picture of it and post it??? The hamster for asleep at the wheel....for like three years..ouch.

you can obviously play with that and do it on one side and do what you do on the other side when you want to kick it.

Yeah now we are talking code...lol

That's an interesting technique and good drawing. I understand how the longer fiber bend radius should reduce the pressure difference between the compression and tension side, but wanted to make sure this was a technique intended to help with chairing?
Hey Chris, no sorry it was in response to Brian's post with the
forward leaning tree and he wanted to put a side undercut and swing it past the barn. I didn't do the drawing right away and It got posted a page late.
Thanks I will go edit in and make a few notes. That undercut would be offset to the side and not with the lean.

absolutely! Some steps a pro may need to miss when overcoming a falling difficulty.
But not looking up, is NEVER one of them.

* IDK why I could not figure out I could draw something take a picture of it and post it??? The hamster for asleep at the wheel....for like three years..ouch.

you can abviously play with that and do it on one side and do what you do on the other side when you want to kick it.

Yeah now we are talking code...lol
Well you pretty much covered it so I had to be short and sweet.

I've bored in behind the hinge before to let the pull wood bend on the stump like that. I like the kerfs you can pop out idea. Sometimes I'll widen my pull corner just by hogging it out. When you need to release a tree from a strap for whatever reason I would think that would be the way to go to pull it around. Now you guys just need to come up with a shorter name for it! It's a mouthful.

What was I talking about? I don't recall. I did an entire thread on advanced cuts on another site with pics and videos. It didn't get as much play as I would have liked for the effort. There wasn't a lot of back discussion. I've thought about doing it here but I really need the time and the energy and this time of year I don't have either. Racing the sun right now to finish a swamp. We need cold.
IIRC you were talking about making a series of progresssive cuts to swing a tree away from its natural lean. I remember it because someone came in and told you that you were FOS and it couldn't be done which then ended up into about 25 side discussions and quarrels.

I don't recall if it was in its own thread or buried in a discussion thread but I'm pretty sure it's in either the chainsaw or firewood forum.

I tried to practice this on a small maple once but made the swing cuts too deep and it broke the holding wood and went with the lean. Nothing ventured, nothing lost I guess.

As I was writing actually think it was a mustang mike thread when he had a problem tree and asked for advice. I'll see if I can dig it up.

IIRC you were talking about making a series of progresssive cuts to swing a tree away from its natural lean. I remember it because someone came in and told you that you were FOS and it couldn't be done which then ended up into about 25 side discussions and quarrels.

I don't recall if it was in its own thread or buried in a discussion thread but I'm pretty sure it's in either the chainsaw or firewood forum.

I tried to practice this on a small maple once but made the swing cuts too deep and it broke the holding wood and went with the lean. Nothing ventured, nothing lost I guess.

As I was writing actually think it was a mustang mike thread when he had a problem tree and asked for advice. I'll see if I can dig it up.
I remember now. There was two of them about a year apart. Both time the same guy came in and told me it was not possible. It would have been June/July of 2015 like you thought. I know that because I remember the job I was cutting and I took pics of two different basswood's on two different days. In the year later discussion I made a video showing the kerfs and tree move and he still denied it happening!

That other one was "soft Dutchman against the lean" Steve and "Bewildered" kept them in business for like 50 pages...hilarious!
Someone else started the thread posting a video of hot saws 101 (Jack) as the faller.

I didn't see the other one...more of the same, I do Rember the title though.

Oh yeah bewildered. That was his name. He only ever showed up when you talked about felling a tree 180 from the lean with just cuts. He should be along any time now.....

Oh yeah bewildered. That was his name. He only ever showed up when you talked about felling a tree 180 from the lean with just cuts. He should be along any time now.....
Lol Shhhh
It's going to be like Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Don't say his name three times..lol
I think he found his way to the Politcal sec. He was posting there a few days ago.
That will keep him busy.
I don't think he realy said much of anything after I said he was BS'ing for entertainment in "Forestry pics thread.
about Danger tree's. He gave a couple of my pic's a few likes but, he kind of dropped off the last summer.

Well you pretty much covered it so I had to be short and sweet.

I've bored in behind the hinge before to let the pull wood bend on the stump like that. I like the kerfs you can pop out idea. Sometimes I'll widen my pull corner just by hogging it out. When you need to release a tree from a strap for whatever reason I would think that would be the way to go to pull it around. Now you guys just need to come up with a shorter name for it! It's a mouthful.
Haha..Funny, we did shorten the name already man, its acually one third of the original....YEAH! we took out all the swear words and now it's shorter than "Soft Dutchman against the lean.
I missed you post BTW.

Yeah Yeah. .boring in behind the holding wood. Ok ..I will give you the whole story.
So the JHMT doesn't include boring behind the holding wood. So I run this by one of the BC Fallers QST's (Qualified Superior Trainer on a gas & Oil Seismic job (they Certify fallers) So we have to do these compantcy test before we can fall on the job. So this guy Ted was an interior faller for like 40 yrs and is just amazing guy to pick his brain about fibers as such.
So I knew it wasn't a reconized cut here so I ask him about it. He said if you bore behind(maybe he said in front) the holding wood and take a piece out of the front (West Coast Swanson) or open face ..err...you get the picture. And it will do 'the same' . So he must be saying in front of the holding wood? I can't see release until you move some 'front' or you get the same effect. Anyway he is bound to the book and offerd me lots in conversations.
I took Teds info and we will call this cut...Oh IDK?? Secure Johnny? Modified Johnny? Johnny on steroids?
IDK.. I'm open for ideas. as far as I know,
I put the combination together. Pedaling
off everybody else is back, Yeah that sounds like me..lol

More tomorrow on comment to your post

Link please.

Edit:

That was here on AS.

No need.

2 Rings & A Flattop, LLC Test Dummy

The thread is called "A felling question". It ended up running 50 pages/1000 plus posts so I didn't have time to read it all.
Wasn't I one of the detractors on that thread? Lol
I think a 180 can be accomplished, but it depends upon a lot of factors especially how much the tree is leaning.
Let's pick up the fight where we left off! Lol
Where's that lil ******* @westcoaster90 ? Lol

I remember now. There was two of them about a year apart. Both time the same guy came in and told me it was not possible. It would have been June/July of 2015 like you thought. I know that because I remember the job I was cutting and I took pics of two different basswood's on two different days. In the year later discussion I made a video showing the kerfs and tree move and he still denied it happening!

Ignorance & Inability are Bliss.

Wasn't I one of the detractors on that thread? Lol
I think a 180 can be accomplished, but it depends upon a lot of factors especially how much the tree is leaning.
Let's pick up the fight where we left off! Lol
Where's that lil ******* @westcoaster90 ? Lol

179 degrees is NOT 180!!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

image.jpeg As opposed to trying to fall a tree against it's lean just for the sake of doing so, sometimes it's safer and quicker to deliberately hang up the tree into another close by tree of similar or lerger size.
However, this poses it's own dangers. The hung up tree can get limb bound in the standing tree and when pulled off with a skidder or tractor it can pull over the standing tree toward the operator.
It's not so much how to fall a tree against it's lean, but rather why?

View attachment 552159 As opposed to trying to fall a tree against it's lean just for the sake of doing so, sometimes it's safer and quicker to deliberately hang up the tree into another close by tree of similar or lerger size.
However, this poses it's own dangers. The hung up tree can get limb bound in the standing tree and when pulled off with a skidder or tractor it can pull over the standing tree toward the operator.
It's not so much how to fall a tree against it's lean, but rather why?
Or if you have to take the tree that it's leaned into it will chair. I've had that happen. Knew it was coming though. Had a large branch in the canopy that caught the falling tree and only option was to cut the one holding it. No only did it have all that canopy weight from the other tree but it had a lot of torque in the trunk because of that branch it was hung into. I've never quite seen a chair like it. Knowing when to make sure the holding wood needs to be released is a valuable lesson. It probably would have rolled out of that branch if I didnt left as much holding wood.

Latest posts

Back