Barber chair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you did, in practice but not on paper. I can prove you knew it. Does a one inch wedge move a small diameter tree more or less than a larger diameter tree? What does your experience tell you?
Good stuff Marshy.
BC Fallers have a little about it with a diagram example. I believe it was based on 100 ft tree on a 5° lift. Which would be the thickness of a 10" k&h I do believe. They are pretty sleek wedges, under an 1"
I remember it said it would move 5ft.
My reaction was the same "what's diameter get to do with it" I'm pretty sure it wasn’t mentioned.
You are right, I had to think about it.
It's actually the distance from the lift to the hinge. *EDIT* I see you have that on your diagram.

Yes you did, in practice but not on paper. I can prove you knew it. Does a one inch wedge move a small diameter tree more or less than a larger diameter tree? What does your experience tell you?
Math genius!
So the answer is 4'7.6" or 4.76 degrees?
Noboby ever said I was the brightest bulb on the tree! Lol

Math genius!
So the answer is 4'7.6" or 4.76 degrees?
Noboby ever said I was the brightest bulb on the tree! Lol
The answer was x=6.66 ft of crown movement.
By inserting the wedge it tipped the trunk 4.76 degrees.

I first solved for the degrees.
In order to do that you need to know the length of your fulcrum which is 2/3's the diameter of the tree (assuming your face cut is 1/3 the depth of the tree).
Therefore: 2/3 x 20" = 13.2" but I use 12" because I didn't wait for your reply, I just chose a reasonable number.

Using Trigonometry you can calculate the degrees of a 12" fulcrum lifted 1" (4.76 degrees)
S.O.H.C.A.H.T.O.A - Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Tripping On Acid

Sin(angle) = Opposite/Hypotenuse
Cos(angle) = Adjacent/Hypotenuse
Tan(angle) = Opposite/Hypotenuse

In order to solve for the angle you need the inverse function when the opposite/adjacent/hypotenuse is known.

And since the trunk is fixed to the fulcrum we know they move the same angle so you can use the same equation to solve for "X" (Opposite) knowing the trees height is 80' (Adjacent).

Little trees that set back can be decieving and hard to wedge because you are wedging so close to the hinge.
shallow depths on trees that are to be wedged. 25% target
My question was more simple than that.
Smaller diameter tree will have a short folcrum and the trunk will tip more verse a larger diameter tree with a longer fulcrum.

Smaller diameter tree will have a short folcrum and the trunk will tip more verse a larger diameter tree with a longer fulcrum.

Smaller diameter tree might not let the full 1 inch height of the wedge in. If you use a shorter wedge, with a 1 inch height, it would have a steeper angle / pitch.

If you drive the wedge in deeper than the edge of the bark (larger diameter tree), the 'virtual height' of the wedge would effectively be larger than 1 inch.

It is only the angle that the trunk is lifted that matters.

Philbert

Smaller diameter tree might not let the full 1 inch height of the wedge in. If you use a shorter wedge, with a 1 inch height, it would have a steeper angle / pitch.

Philbert
All true but irrelevant to how much the crown moves as long as the same lift is achieved.

Not correct. Different angles. Angles also depend on location of the hinge / pivot / fulcrum point.

This is the height of the triangle, relative to the base.

Philbert

You got me before the edit made through. Refresh and see the other half of my statement. We are saying the same thing

I think it was Husqvarna that sold this pneumatic wedge that worked off the exhaust of the saw. Wonder how that worked?
So for round figures an 80' tree can offset the crown 13' with a two inch wedge lift or approx 10 degrees?
Of coarse this is assuming there is no dutchman and the backcut isn't below the undercut.

I think it was Husqvarna that sold this pneumatic wedge that worked off the exhaust of the saw. Wonder how that worked?
So for round figures an 80' tree can offset the crown 13' with a two inch wedge lift or approx 10 degrees?
Of coarse this is assuming there is no dutchman and the backcut isn't below the undercut.
Yeah, as long as your folcrum is 12", tree is 80', and you get all the lift from your wedge.

All true but irrelevant to how much the crown moves as long as the same lift is achieved.
So you agree with this ? The lift will very from the distances from the hinge.
The same lift will not be achieved, the shorter the distance the harder the lift and the greator the movement as the wedge penatrates.

A great example of this is when you free up a wedge from the back and the tree needs a little more that can't be achieved from the back so you stick it close to the hinge on the side. It puts thing into perspective. Harder to do but a quicker lift. The way it was taught to me many years back was to think about a door. They have hinges, now think about that door horizontal on hinges. Come up to the front and middle of it, it's pretty easy to lift with two fingers. Now go to the bottom of the side closesed to the hinge and lift with two fingers. You can do it but it's not so easy.

If you drive the wedge in deeper than the edge of the bark (larger diameter tree), the 'virtual height' of the wedge would effectively be larger than 1 inch.

It is only the angle that the trunk is lifted that matters.

Philbert

RIGHT In relation to a steeper wedge.
as long as the lifting distance to the hinge is that of the same.
Roger!

Latest posts

Back