Bark Box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hendog

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've read where a Bark box would add 6-10 percent hp. Does that mean that a 500i stock with 6.7 hp could potentially have 7.1 to 7.3 hp by adding the Bark box?

It really woke up my flat top 066 !! I haven't done any timed tests or anything sciency but it definitely seems to have more power. I had to add about 1/8 turn to the high on the carb to get it tuned again if that means anything to you.
KIMG2748.JPG

It really woke up my flat top 066 !! I haven't done any timed tests or anything sciency but it definitely seems to have more power. I had to add about 1/8 turn to the high on the carb to get it tuned again if that means anything to you.
View attachment 1130202
That's good to hear and I'm assuming the 500i would self adjust after a few cuts?

Seems like a very expensive alternative to a simple muffler mod.
Meh. It looks cool. Plus Gordy seems like a good dude and I like watching his YouTube videos so I had very little issue buying one of his products. That's why I did it. I'd do it again too lol

I have an Eagan muffler plate on a 360. For sure it adds 6-10 along with opening the high screw a bit. That being said, it is about the same as homemade muffler mods I've done on other saws. This saves your time, looks cool, and supports a small business. Downside is the $$$.

The bark box will calm down after some use the same way your car exhaust mellows after a few months. Brand new it will hurt the ears at full throttle regardless of your ear pro. after 10-15 tanks its not as sharp in pitch. Still requires ear pro, but isn't nearly as deafening a sound as new.

It certainly is better than restrictive OEM mufflers, but where it shines is when you pair it with upstream mods. For reference I had Gordy build me a brand new 461 three years ago. Full port job, timing, tuning, maxflow intake, and bark box with a triple port exhaust. That's where it shines. That 76cc saw absolutely walks the dog against stock 90cc saws and throttle response is phenomenal (carb saw here, obviously the fuel injection of the 500i is out of the box top notch).

Captain, lets see some pics of that saw

Here ya go. She's filthy right now from finishing up the last of firewood processing in October. Need to clean her up and prep her for my cutting season that starts in February.

20231205_072608.jpg
20231205_072616.jpg
20231205_072453.jpg
20231205_072458.jpg

The triple port exhaust with the bark box is wild. This thing screamed like a banshee when new; everyone this side of the county knew when I fired up to cut. Every stoke of the piston created a percussion you could feel in your chest. Ear plugs alone were not enough. She's finally mellowed out and a lot easier on the ears now. She lives on 28" and 32" bars on full comp chains with depth gauges set to .050 to let her bite and keep her from over revving in the cut which is the only real problem there is. Occasionally runs a 36" full skip setup when needed. I don't have a tach so I cant tell you what the RPMs are at WOT, but suffice to say it puts shame to my old stock 661 and then some.

While the pro-safety dogs are 100% better than the stock ones, I am not entirely sold on them. I've been eyeing Gordy's 3 point dogs but I am not sure how they will do here in the eastern hardwoods since they were developed for the western species with thick bark.

You see those guys use the 3-point dogs on smooth bark maples out there and they look to bite quite well. I've been wanting to ty them or get some actual feedback on eastern stuff too.

My bark box and 3 point dogs make it to KY this weekend. I skew if dead and dieing Ash (that damn emerald pest). I may try to put one on the ground this weekend.

As far as buying the BarkBox vs a personal mod, I've done everything from weld pipes on to the husky deflectors.

I like the looks of the BB better, less work for me, supports a small business...

Watching the review on Gordy's 3 point dogs, the idea seemed pretty cool. wCS has a package on the BB, dogs, suspension kit so I figured why not.

Yes and no. They bite really well into oak, hickory, and the rough bark species but you really have to forcibly set them on smooth bark like sycamore, maples, etc. As the power head rotates through the cut the upper teeth of the dogs move in and the lower teeth slip out and you have to reset sometimes. That's why I like the idea of Gordy's 3 point system. Keep those lower dogs set for greater rotation of the head.

I cut for local farmers and land owners who are clearing woods, fence lines, tree rows, etc. Particularly in the fence rows, with little competition for resources a fair deal of these trees get what ill call "east coast big," ranging from 28"-36" . Not the same as west coast, but far from small.

Here ya go. She's filthy right now from finishing up the last of firewood processing in October. Need to clean her up and prep her for my cutting season that starts in February.

View attachment 1133197
View attachment 1133198
View attachment 1133195
View attachment 1133196

The triple port exhaust with the bark box is wild. This thing screamed like a banshee when new; everyone this side of the county knew when I fired up to cut. Every stoke of the piston created a percussion you could feel in your chest. Ear plugs alone were not enough. She's finally mellowed out and a lot easier on the ears now. She lives on 28" and 32" bars on full comp chains with depth gauges set to .050 to let her bite and keep her from over revving in the cut which is the only real problem there is. Occasionally runs a 36" full skip setup when needed. I don't have a tach so I cant tell you what the RPMs are at WOT, but suffice to say it puts shame to my old stock 661 and then some.

While the pro-safety dogs are 100% better than the stock ones, I am not entirely sold on them. I've been eyeing Gordy's 3 point dogs but I am not sure how they will do here in the eastern hardwoods since they were developed for the western species with thick bark.
Those three pointers are nice. I run a set on a ported 660. I live on the east coast and they are a little weird to get used to at first. Man do they grab in ANY wood we got here. Big plus is the middle dog lines up true with the bottom of the bar for really precise cutting of hinges and face cuts. Me likey but they are dang sharp so watch the knuckles when taking off the clutch cover.

Me likey but they are dang sharp so watch the knuckles when taking off the clutch cover.
Yeah, you aren't joking. The pro-safety's are no different. I've stabbed myself pretty good a handful of times.

Props for the 3 point feedback. Ill likely try to snag a set here soon before I start cutting again.

Latest posts

Back