Before bed, 066-660 thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was fortunate, to have run the 66 since it was first produced. Think I was still in my teen's. I can tell you I was sold then, and still sold now. One of the very best, of the best a ultimate timber saw for the pro, or non pro who cut's big shiat, or anything in between.

Well it's that time, heading off to bed for me toniht in my dream's the phone will rin, and it is the saw shop sayin my 660 is ready for pickup. My shed with one less saw, has cost me a little sleep when I have all 5 back in the shed, life will be complete!

It's that time, and back to dreamland for me, 066- 2101-288xp- 390xp-395 mayb Ill dream of a big flagship! Should we start a bullettproof thread or are we here #### am I dreaming already?

Hit the pillow with one thought on my mind, adding another one. Hmm another husky or another Stihl. Im heavier by one on the husky end so another 66? I slept like a baby.

I finally got my project 066 running like a champ tonight, tonight will be my first good night of sleep in the month that I've been working on it/trying to figure out the problem.

After replacing about everything on the saw, I believe the culprit was the clutch side crank seal. Can't wait to break it in and start milling, I've got a trailer full of walnut waiting.

I finally got my project 066 running like a champ tonight, tonight will be my first good night of sleep in the month that I've been working on it/trying to figure out the problem.

After replacing about everything on the saw, I believe the culprit was the clutch side crank seal. Can't wait to break it in and start milling, I've got a trailer full of walnut waiting.

I gave you some hard earned rep for sticking with it till it was fixed.

Norm get one of yours ported first. I think you'll really be surprised at what it will do for one. I don't guess you can go wrong with another 660.

Rep from me 2 unclerico! I agree with Mastermind. Mdavlee nothing wrong with a ported saw for sure. Im open minde'd another 660. I'll take a 288xp 394-395 list goe's on LOL!

Norm get one of yours ported first. I think you'll really be surprised at what it will do for one. I don't guess you can go wrong with another 660.

The only stock saw I have is my 066 red light. It's as strong as I need it to be. I only use it if I'm in wood above 30", anything less that that I use my milled and woods ported ms460.

Perception is a heckuva thing guys. I was runnin both the Solo 681 and the Stihl 660 today and both myself and my friend just knew the Solo was fatser. However, we both also knew that there was know way to know for sure unless we put the clock on them. Well, comes out the Stihl 660 was a good 5 seconds faster than the Solo. This is in very hard seasoned 25" oak. The 660 is such a fine runner outta the box. Im very impressed with her. I will also put up vids of a ported 660 and a ported 2171. The stock 660 held its own to say the least. I believe it was only 3 seconds behind the ported 660 and about dead even with the ported 2171. I'm tickled to death with my stock 660. And its not even broken in yet. the 1st video will be the stock 660

Stihl MS660 Magnum Stock - YouTube

I just cant help but think this illustrates what a fine saw the 660 is. Such a great runner right outta the box!

If I remmeber right the ported 660 was wearing a 28" Lite bar? So, it may even be a hair more faster with a 25" bar as the one the stock 660 of mine was wearing.

porting

Man that what i love my 660 it just pulls and pulls i have it shipped out right now getting woodsported i cant wait till i get it back and get it into some WOOD!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Man that what i love my 660 it just pulls and pulls i have it shipped out right now getting woodsported i cant wait till i get it back and get it into some WOOD!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks. I was pleasently surprised at how good it ran. It really isnt even broken in yet either. I figure it's got about about maybee 5-6 tanks thru her. But from what I've heard it's hard to get big gains out of a 660. They run so well out of the box. But thats not to say good gains cant be got. You can just about lay down on the ported saw shown in the video.

Last edited:
Yeah it had the 28" light bar on it then. That's the shortest bar i've got in stihl mount. I guess that bar might go on the 576 when I get it home and put a 30" or maybe the 36" on the 660. I guess it would be great with a 32" stihl light bar.

Yeah it had the 28" light bar on it then. That's the shortest bar i've got in stihl mount. I guess that bar might go on the 576 when I get it home and put a 30" or maybe the 36" on the 660. I guess it would be great with a 32" stihl light bar.

I've still got no cell phone LOL, Ed is still in Oregon, and my cell phone is in a parking garage in Charlotte,NC. Gimme a shout if ya get time tonight. I have a strong feeling I'm really,really gonna like the 576AT.

Latest posts

Back