Before bed, 066-660 thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO the 660 is worth every penny. It's a true "investment" IMO. Whether it be a Faller,Logger,Lumberjack,Arborist,Firewood cutter or an Enthusiest/Cookie Cutter LOL (ME) It's a work of art IMHO.

For us east of the Rockies that's list price, on bigger saws I usually
stick to list price, but throw in 3 free chains. And figure if you get a 25"
or bigger bar that's a decent chunk of change in chains.

We don't make 300$ on a 660, like guys think we do.

Good info. Thanks.

IMHO the 660 is worth every penny. It's a true "investment" IMO. Whether it be a Faller,Logger,Lumberjack,Arborist,Firewood cutter or an Enthusiest/Cookie Cutter LOL (ME) It's a work of art IMHO.

Yep, As much as I like my Husqvarna's, I really like a 660. If I didn't already have a 395, Id be getting a 660.

You be a very wise man, IMHO! :agree2:

Yep, As much as I like my Husqvarna's, I really like a 660. If I didn't already have a 395, Id be getting a 660.

You know Durand, I did have both at one time, and IMHO, the 395 was a hair stronger and smoother. But.....the Stihl was lighter and felt better in my hands plus, its just a real beauty queen IMHO. The 395's are certainly awesome!

Wow, the site is working for me now LOL!. I hate flippy cap's! Glad my 660 doesn't have em. They need to get rid of those stupid thing's! But the 66 is a bad machine!

Fuel additive

Had to replace the carb. First my buddy Darin at the saw shop tried a carb kit, and no luck. They say with this new gas we have they have to replace a few here, and there, but most just need carb kit's.

Norm, Have you ever tried Startron fuel additive for the ethanol problem. Stens rep turned my friend on to it. Ever since using it have had no fuel related problems with the saws. A few years ago everyone of my huskys were down from this ethanol gas. JUst wondering. HD had it for $2.95 a bottle. Best price I,ve seen.

I hear the 661 will have flippy caps. Better get you a new 660 soon before they get replaced by the 661.

I hear the 661 will have flippy caps. Better get you a new 660 soon before they get replaced by the 661.

ahh why do they gotta mess with the 660 its the heart and sole of the STIHL TIMBERSPORTS if it isnt brok DON'T FIX IT!!IMO:hmm3grin2orange:

Gonna Need Some Help From You Boys...

Howdy Fellas,

200 bux. Recoil gone, piston is toast, no muffler...

Everything else is there. Haven't taken it down yet to see what else may be on the table for restoration, but snaggin' it seemed like a good idea at the time -- along with a real nice and complete 020 av top handle for another 100 bux. (I'll spare ya those pics on the "BigBoy" thread!)

She's a little rough, but sure as hell seemed worth the rescue effort to me. May go all the way over the winter with a complete teardown and restoration if I can manage the time and $$$ to pull it off. Otherwise, I'll at least get 'er running as the latest member of the gang.

:cheers:

Poge

attachment.php

Last edited:
yeahman TEAR HER DOWN and freshen her up and keep us posted on the rebuild you will love it when you get it down and sink it in some BIGWOOD!!!:blob2:

View attachment 199132View attachment 199133Cheevas, no I never tried the startron, but I sure will anything that will help! Mdavlee hopefully they don't get stupid, and #### up the 660. The whole flippy cap design almost made me, well strictly a husky man. I am lucky my 660 is still low hor, and the 2101 has a long road ahead. Hopefully the cotton stay's tall. Pogo in the wood's that 66 is bad to the bone, seen em resurected from far worse! And that saw is one that is alway's worth a comeback:bowdown:

From what I've heard it will be a larger version of the 441. It might not have a strato engine but will have flippy caps on it. I hope it doesn't gain a lot of weight. The 660 is just barely lighter than the 395 and even with a 390 right now. It will probably be 2013 or so before we see them so you should have next year to buy up a lifetime supply of 660s.:laugh:

Man, not a thought I want to dream about LOL! If they phase out the 660 be a bad Idea:angry:

I tell ya Norm, you know a lot more about the 660 than I will ever know. But, as darn good as those 441R's are running not to even mention the Husqvarna like AV, the new 661 will prolly be better than ever IMHO. Plus, I really dont think its gonna be a strato either. Atleast that's what I remember hearing. I could be wrong on that. But just think: a stronger 660 with better gas mileage and better AV. IMHO, I would give up a little weight penalty for that.

I would agree, I am an open minde'd dude. Technology has worke'd wonder's. But no flippy caps' for me. They should at least make both standard, or flip cap's. Make both side's happy. Re- work it that would be cool, and I would give it a fair shake. The one thing I don't want is adde'd bulk, and climsy feel. The one thing I don't like with the 441

I would agree, I am an open minde'd dude. Technology has worke'd wonder's. But no flippy caps' for me. They should at least make both standard, or flip cap's. Make both side's happy. Re- work it that would be cool, and I would give it a fair shake. The one thing I don't want is adde'd bulk, and climsy feel. The one thing I don't like with the 441

I agree. But I just bet it wont be bulky. I bet they knock that one out of the park. The 290 may be their best seller, but you know the 660 has to be their "pride and joy" :)

I have 5 066/660 and a 394 and a 395. I have no brand loyalty, the saw that gets the job done best is the one I want.

I find the huskys a little more "fun" to run as a sawhead as they require that little more care to keep em howling, but the stihls are my mainstay as they are rock solid reliable. I have had my redlight for 10 years now and although its getting a little tired its never let me down aside from a couple brake handles, starter cord, and clutch springs.

I started my company with my redlight 066 and an MS200t. And when you only have 2 saws, they better work every time or your down the tubes.

Luckily mine did.

A great thing about living in NZ, we have a healthy forestry industry and the 66 is the standard felling saw. On our local ebay, at any one time the 066/660 will outnumber any other type of saw. A good 346 or 361 will go for considerably more than a 66 of simular condition.

A poem I wrote a while back

ODE to a 66

She belongs in heaven, if there were woods there
My 66 sing to angels as she clears the land bare
She stops for no trunk and forever throws chips
From 18 to 42 bars she bucks and she rips
From morning to night we work hand in hand
Its a love my friends will not understand
A caress with a file, a touch with a scrench
Since I met her my wife now plays from the bench
Shes my only woman now which I will share my bed
Its the whining, non cutting one that now lives in the shed